Documentaries

Mr. Not

"The Mars Underground"

great DOC I'm a big fan of Dr Zubrin the man is 100% right in this DOC and his books,we have the technology and his plan can be done about 60% cheaper than the 1st and 2nd Bush Administrations.He comes off angry but you'll see why def check this out,god damn politics stopping us over which quite possibly be another acheivement in man kinds history

"American Grindhouse"

great doc from al Grindhouse movies or B movies whatever u wanna call it dating back to the 30s to present.I loved it cause I've seen most of these movies but it's done in a fun way,some directors coming out and saying "oh god the movie is horrible but when they hand you a suitcase filled 75grand your not saying no your thinking CASH!" Lol

I watched "Bigger Stronger Faster" a few years ago - it´s probably dated right now, but it´s quite cool and unbiased - about the use of steroids in professional sports.

I've been reading a lot of medieval history lately. Combine that fact with with a new Netflix subscription and I have been digging into the documentaries. I really enjoyed the Monarchy series with David Starkey. It reviews English/British monarchs from Alfred the Great through Queen Victoria and is quite well done. The Elisabeth documentary (Queen Elisabeth I) is also very good.

^ Jonestown was indeed great. It was like watching a horror/crime film really, except it really all happened exactly as shown... Wow.

Persuasive speakers...

I read this recently, and I'm now interested in watching some documentaries on the big bang, multiverse theories, and general physics (not just mechanics).

http://www.nature.com/news/big-bang-blunder-bursts-the-multiverse-bubble-1.15346

• Like 1

There's a new documentary premiering on HBO tonight with DeNiro paying tribute to his father:

http://www.today.com/entertainment/robert-de-niro-lovingly-remembers-artist-father-new-hbo-documentary-2D79758917

Robert De Niro isn't one of the breed of celebrities who love to talk about their personal lives. But the tough-guy actor broke character when it came to his father, late artist Robert De Niro Sr., speaking to TODAY's Matt Lauer on Thursday about a new documentary about his dad.

"I just felt I had to (talk about him)," De Niro told Lauer. The actor reads from his father's journals in the film, "Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr."

"The intention was to make a documentary about my father —because I owed it to him and all the family, because of the great work that he had done," De Niro said.

In the 1940s, De Niro Sr. was a young artist on the rise, known for vibrant colors and bold images, and his work was exhibited in elite galleries alongside the works of famous artists such as Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko. But he struggled to keep up with the modern art scene as abstract and pop art became popular, and also suffered from depression. In a clip from the film, De Niro, Sr. once confided, "I feel that I have hardly the courage at this moment to wash my brushes, which have been standing in turpentine for days."

He later decided to reinvent himself in Paris, where his son tried to help promote his father's work. "Literally we would carry (the artwork) to the galleries in the Left Bank," De Niro recalled to Lauer.

The documentary also reveals that De Niro's father was a gay man in a time when that was much less accepted, even among artists.

"I could have talked to him about it," De Niro told Lauer. "I didn't feel it was right. That's his business."

The actor has kept his father's New York art studio untouched even 21 years after his father died. "I don't know, I can't let it go," De Niro told Lauer. "As long as I can afford to keep it, I will keep it."

TODAY

Robert De Niro and his father in an archival photo.

His father lived to see his son succeed in Hollywood, and though he was proud of his offspring, it reminded him of his own lack of visible success in the art world.

"He didn't acknowledge it in a certain way, but he was resentful because, 'Why couldn't it have happened with me?' you know?" De Niro said. But his father also wrote of his pride in his only son: "Thank you, God, for Bobby's having turned out so well."

"He was proud of me," De Niro told Lauer. "He's not the kind of father to say, 'I'm proud of you, son.' ... In his way, he was proud."

"Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr." airs Monday at 9 p.m. on HBO.

I watched a documentary on the ill fated 2008 K2 summit where 11 mountaineers were killed. Fascinating story but the documentary was very disjointed and hard to follow.

I've decided that there are two things I hate about some documentaries.

1. I hate it when they try to be artsy. Dramatic pauses, fade-ins and outs, jerky cinematography all detract from the subject.

2. I don't like propaganda pieces that pass themselves off as documentaries.

Documentaries should be educational and this should be their ultimate goal. They should be clear, concise and relatively non-biased. I like narration and this was one of the reasons the doc about K2 was so difficult to follow. I don't like documentaries that don't have narration.

I think Ken Burns makes excellent documentaries.

• Like 2

I watched a documentary on the ill fated 2008 K2 summit where 11 mountaineers were killed. Fascinating story but the documentary was very disjointed and hard to follow.

1. I hate it when they try to be artsy. Dramatic pauses, fade-ins and outs, jerky cinematography all detract from the subject.

Documentaries should be educational and this should be their ultimate goal. They should be clear, concise and relatively non-biased. I like narration and this was one of the reasons the doc about K2 was so difficult to follow. I don't like documentaries that don't have narration.

Agreed. Your second reason is why I stayed away from Documentaries altogether for the longest time. I like unbiased / educational docs the most, but I now sometimes will bravely go into a documentary arguing for one side with the acknowledgement that it's biased.. If I find it too ridiculous I'll switch it off within minutes without regret.

Tonight I'm planning on watching "Secrets of the Physics", and maybe some others.

• Like 1

Agreed. Your second reason is why I stayed away from Documentaries altogether for the longest time. I like unbiased / educational docs the most, but I now sometimes will bravely go into a documentary arguing for one side with the acknowledgement that it's biased.. If I find it too ridiculous I'll switch it off within minutes without regret.

Tonight I'm planning on watching "Secrets of the Physics", and maybe some others.

I like science docs as well.

I recently watched 'CitizenFour' the doc about Edward Snowden of the NSA.

Very good, amazing what it took to get to him to make the doc.

Also, watched 'Going Clear' a doc about Scientology.

That is 1 whacky group of people.

Both were on HBO...

• Like 3

I've been watching this on Netflix recently.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Vietnam_in_HD_DVD_Cover.jpg

Its very well done. I've seen some other documentaries done by the same people, but this one I really liked because I think it's difficult to find a great documentary on the Vietnam war,

I've been watching this on Netflix recently.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Vietnam_in_HD_DVD_Cover.jpg

Its very well done. I've seen some other documentaries done by the same people, but this one I really liked because I think it's difficult to find a great documentary on the Vietnam war,

Probably my favorite war documentary. Amazing footage, solid interviews and direction etc. A darker take than the usual "The public always supports us and we eventually win!" war doc.

Grizzly Man if it's not in the previous posts (TL;DR). Great doc that attempts to get inside the mind of a proper lunatic. Much of the footage presented is incredible on multiple accounts. Solidarity drove Mr. Treadwell to say things befitting of those in mental institutions.
  • Like 2

I watched that damn Eagles documentary on Netflix. I went in feeling kind of indifferent about the Eagles and came away *hating* the Eagles (and I don't use that word lightly). I still like Joe Walsh (his body of work stands on its own), but, boy do I hate the Eagles now. I still like Randy Meisner and like Bernie Leadon and Timothy B. Schmidt seems rather innocuous.

I've also learned that Ginger Baker is a bit of an ass and one should beware of him.

• Like 1

Grizzly Man if it's not in the previous posts (TL;DR). Great doc that attempts to get inside the mind of a proper lunatic. Much of the footage presented is incredible on multiple accounts. Solidarity drove Mr. Treadwell to say things befitting of those in mental institutions.

Werner Herzog made the doc. If you are not properly educated on this dude lemme know. I will show you the world my brotha!

You know he's a Rush fan right? He even posts on this board

I watched that damn Eagles documentary on Netflix. I went in feeling kind of indifferent about the Eagles and came away *hating* the Eagles (and I don't use that word lightly). I still like Joe Walsh (his body of work stands on its own), but, boy do I hate the Eagles now. I still like Randy Meisner and like Bernie Leadon and Timothy B. Schmidt seems rather innocuous.

I've also learned that Ginger Baker is a bit of an ass and one should beware of him.

I did not hate The Eagles after this.

I hated Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Greddy, F'N Hippies.

I just watched the Doc on George Takei on Netflix.

Informative, heavy on his backstory, Japanese internment camp in the 40's as a kid, and deep into his gay life and coming out.

But tons of acting in it as well. Dude is likeable for sure.

Werner Herzog made the doc. If you are not properly educated on this dude lemme know. I will show you the world my brotha!

You know he's a Rush fan right? He even posts on this board

I did not know that!!! And no, I know nothing about him.

Er, Werner, fantastic doc!

• Like 1