Bands you like, but are embarrassed to admit that you like

Brucey

I'm not embarrassed by liking him, more of a guilty pleasure..

Bob Seger

I can't stand Old time Rock n roll, but enjoy his other hits.. The guy is a real rock n roll road dog who pumps out honest, blue collar tunes

Roll Me Away, in particular,is a great highway cruising tune

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

I like the Eagles. Not great. Not bad. Not really good. Adequate? Yeah...I like them!

Massive Attack

The Killers

Leftfield

Kate Bush

Lady Gaga (I love quite a few of her singles immensely).

All bands/artists I could imagine snobby rockers scoffing at me for liking!

But hey, it seems to be a Rush fan requirement to hate on Bruce. I LOVE HIM!! So I couldn't care less!

So Narpzillapet, whats ur "guilty pleasures"? You must have some dirty little music habits?!?

kate bush definitely has enough prog cred for some rush fans to dig her, the problem is nobody over here even knows who the f**k she is

I'm not embarrassed by liking him, more of a guilty pleasure..

Bob Seger

I can't stand Old time Rock n roll, but enjoy his other hits.. The guy is a real rock n roll road dog who pumps out honest, blue collar tunes

Roll Me Away, in particular,is a great highway cruising tune

Bob Seger music is feel good for sure. I always enjoy it and never change it when it comes on in the car. For me, sort of the same as Tom Petty....

I have never really dug deep into their discography but I always enjoyed the "America" music that I know. Can't change the channel on them...... :)

Every one has their own tastes, this is what makes us unique. I like older stuff like Buddy Holly, Motown (love the Supremes, Four Tops, Smokey Robinson), the Mamas and Papas, Bee Gees, so much more. A couple of the bands I like that others put down are the Doors and Mumford and Sons, but I'm not embarassed to admit it. To each his own.
  • Like 1

Every one has their own tastes, this is what makes us unique. I like older stuff like Buddy Holly, Motown (love the Supremes, Four Tops, Smokey Robinson), the Mamas and Papas, Bee Gees, so much more. A couple of the bands I like that others put down are the Doors and Mumford and Sons, but I'm not embarassed to admit it. To each his own.

No Temptations? One of my all time fav's?....... :)

Massive Attack

Kate Bush

I'm with you on these.

And to go along with Kate Bush, I'll say the first two Tori Amos records are really good. After that, she got a bit too weird for me.

Tori's To Venus and Back album was awful in comparison to what she had done before.

• Like 1

Not really embarrassed by this one, its more like i'd just rather not have to explain to my friends who HIM is and why i am listening to a Finnish "love metal" band....but hey, that was a group from my phase of dark heavy modern music that I actually still listen to...

I like the Eagles. Not great. Not bad. Not really good. Adequate? Yeah...I like them!

Massive Attack

The Killers

Leftfield

Kate Bush

But hey, it seems to be a Rush fan requirement to hate on Bruce. I LOVE HIM!! So I couldn't care less!

So Narpzillapet, whats ur "guilty pleasures"? You must have some dirty little music habits?!?

kate bush definitely has enough prog cred for some rush fans to dig her, the problem is nobody over here even knows who the f**k she is

Considering that one of the people to discover her was David Gilmour, I think her cred is well-deserved. Kind of like discovering Aimee Mann from a weird Rush video... and finding out that her solo stuff is pretty awesome. :cool:

• Like 1

Not really embarrassed by this one, its more like i'd just rather not have to explain to my friends who HIM is and why i am listening to a Finnish "love metal" band....but hey, that was a group from my phase of dark heavy modern music that I actually still listen to...

Back in the day, I was obsessed with this band and I practically worshipped Ville Valo. Why? I have absolutely NO IDEA! !

Sorry...The only band in this sort of genre that I like is Lacuna Coil (who just happen to be my favourite band!). But I obviously understand why you like them! Love Metal is/was a great album!

Massive Attack

The Killers

Leftfield

Kate Bush

Considering that one of the people to discover her was David Gilmour, I think her cred is well-deserved. Kind of like discovering Aimee Mann from a weird Rush video... and finding out that her solo stuff is pretty awesome. :cool:

I saw Aimee Mann open for Bob Dylan once. 1996, I think it was. She was good.

Just thought I'd mention that. Moving on, now...

• Like 1

Embarrassed!? What? Who gives a shit. 12 year old must have started this topic. It's music. I could give a flying f**k peoples opinon of the music I or anyone enjoys listening to. I mean what are you suppose to do with this information. Oh my god. Jimmy listens to Duran Duran! Hire an airplane to write jimmy likes Duran Duran in the sky with smoke. Get the news involved. Twitter that so and so likes this or that and it's embarrassing! This forum is just sad at times.

If an artist or band is successful there you go. No one cares what music you play. It's like saying I don't like the tone of your voice. Your hair is to dark. Your mommy is hot. Your cars tires are not wide enough. Pot holes on the road need to be repaired. Embarrassed by music? WTF!

• Like 2

Most of us have already mentioned we are not embarrassed already. So, instead, we have listed bands/artists that don't reflect the majority of our music tastes. It's just meant to be a bit of fun, and gives us the opportunity to talk about the sort of music we tend to overlook in more serious threads.
  • Like 7

Most of us have already mentioned we are not embarrassed already. So, instead, we have listed bands/artists that don't reflect the majority of our music tastes. It's just meant to be a bit of fun, and gives us the opportunity to talk about the sort of music we tend to overlook in more serious threads.

Yep, exactly. Thanks.

Embarrassed!? What? Who gives a shit. 12 year old must have started this topic. It's music. I could give a flying f**k peoples opinon of the music I or anyone enjoys listening to. I mean what are you suppose to do with this information. Oh my god. Jimmy listens to Duran Duran! Hire an airplane to write jimmy likes Duran Duran in the sky with smoke. Get the news involved. Twitter that so and so likes this or that and it's embarrassing! This forum is just sad at times.

If an artist or band is successful there you go. No one cares what music you play. It's like saying I don't like the tone of your voice. Your hair is to dark. Your mommy is hot. Your cars tires are not wide enough. Pot holes on the road need to be repaired. Embarrassed by music? WTF!

Not too keen on the tone of your post but I agree I could have phrased the thread topic a little differently.

• Like 1

no need to flip out, I think everyone here knows what the OP means

• Like 2

Not too keen on the tone of your post but I agree I could have phrased the thread topic a little differently.

And imagine if I was 12, how do you think I'd be feeling right now? :( ;)

:rush:

Plus 1. Not really "embarassed" (as has been discussed), but I do realize that if I mention I like Rush to certain people I might have to defend them against the usual negative hipster dismissals. Sometimes though I'm pleasantly surprised. At a Wire concert a few months ago I was talking to a guy who really knew the '70s/'early '80s post-punk scene -- it was clearly his favorite -- so when I mentioned Rush as being among my favorite bands I expected the usual knitted eyebrows and "are you in-bred?" look. Instead he enthusiastically pointed out that Hemispheres is one of his favorite albums.

So putting having to defend Rush aside, I'll interpret the question as asking about musical guilty pleasures. As I don't listen to Abba or Celine Dion at all, and I don't go out of my way to revisit high school with Def Leppard or the Scorpions, I can't really say that I feel guilty about, or need to explain, any of the music I listen to, except for one, maybe. The Best of Three Dog Night CD I'll revisit once every few years might need a little explaining. Around the World with Three Dog Night and Best of were the first "rock" albums from my parents' lp collection that I fell in love with as a 2nd or 3rd grader. Chuck Negron was my first musical hero. Have never been able to recapture the magic but every few years I try.

• Like 1

I replied too quickly. There is one band whose music I really like but I would find way too embarassing to mention them, despite the fact that I would have liked to in one context or another a couple times in this forum. I haven't followed what they've done the last fifteen years or so because I do find them embarassing, but on rare occasions I'll go back to the stuff they made in the '80s/early '90s and think that is still amazing.

So why do I think liking the band or the music is embarassing? Because the singer/writer has obvious Nazi sympathies. He claims it's really about a neo-pagan romanticism/nostalgia (longing for rebirth of same) that was briefly revived by the Nazi movement, and not Nazism itself, but it's still too weird a fascination for me. Nevertheless, as I said, I still think the music is amazing. Here's a couple examples; the first is the first song I heard by them and I was immediately taken (the Nazi sympathies didn't become apparent until the following album). The second song leads off the following album which does display the Nazi sympathies, but is Fascist-free (as far as I can tell). Man I still love these songs; I just wish the creator's fascinations weren't so f-d up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuY8uqyb8PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Gy7eC5fsI

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1