Regrets over the rap section in RTB?

Pericles

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 17 2005, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2005, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 17 2005, 12:57 PM)
I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records.  They can do what they want.  I think they've earned it.  And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it.  Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I'll still be there - enjoying the hell of it.  All of it.  yes.gif

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others.  Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing.  smile.gif

of course, rush are free to do whatever they want, and i wish i could enjoy all of it, but i just don't - presto is ok, roll the bones has 3 good songs or so, and T4E and vapor trails are just bad (as rush goes) imho - i wish i could love everything they do, but at least i love most everything they've done! the rap part of roll the bones though just makes me shudder when i hear it. if you're gonna make a joke, put it on the album sleeve, but do you have to ruin a song and drag down a whole album to do it?... confused13.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

It's a shame you see it that way. Can't please everyone, I guess. I don't go ape shit over every song of theirs either, but I wouldn't wish that they had never done it. It just proves to me that they have a wide range to their music. I will always see that as a good thing.

I never thought of the rap section as a joke. I saw it as as them having a bit of fun - and I'm all for that. The song wasn't ruined, nor was the album - but that's my opinion. It doesn't have to be yours. biggrin.gif

and btw - what the hell does ph34r.gif represent? Can anyone tell me? I never could figure that one out.

Nevermind.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records. They can do what they want. I think they've earned it. And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it. Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I'll still be there - enjoying the hell of it. All of it. yes.gif

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others. Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing. smile.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Pericles @ Jul 14 2005, 10:25 PM)
Have any of the members expressed regret over the rap section in Roll the Bones? I cringe evertime that I hear it and I cannot help but think that they do regret it.

Discuss.

Rush has played "Roll The Bones" in every single tour since RTB was released. That's five straight tours, including last year's R30 tour. I don't think they regret the rap section.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 17 2005, 12:23 PM)

and btw - what the hell does  ph34r.gif represent?  Can anyone tell me?  I never could figure that one out.

This is how I use it:

It's like when you make a comment & then duck or kind of flinch away as if the person you said it to is going to hit you...

You know Pags, like when you say to the wife "How come I have to do all the work around here, all you do is sit around all day watching soaps & eating bon-bons" That would be the appropriate time to use that icon. laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2005, 02:34 PM)
I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records.  They can do what they want.  I think they've earned it.  And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it.  Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others.  Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing.  smile.gif

of course, rush are free to do whatever they want, and i wish i could enjoy all of it, but i just don't - presto is ok, roll the bones has 3 good songs or so, and T4E and vapor trails are just bad (as rush goes) imho - i wish i could love everything they do, but at least i love most everything they've done! the rap part of roll the bones though just makes me shudder when i hear it. if you're gonna make a joke, put it on the album sleeve, but do you have to ruin a song and drag down a whole album to do it?... confused13.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

You need some dope Goober...fast yes.gif

Funny ... I remember the first time I heard 'RTB' on the radio, I was driving home from work (at the time about 15 miles from my house, so I had alot of time to reflect), and I remember feeling 'disappointed', like they had abandoned their style or something. Then over the course of a couple months I heard more cuts from that album, and found that they really hadn't abandoned anything, they were just trying something different ... for some of us, it worked, and for others, it didn't. When I heard 'Ghost of a Chance', I thought that was the closest thing to a love song that I ever heard them do, and in time I became increasingly impressed with all the different directions they weren't afraid to go ... it gave me a new respect for them.

I personally am not a fan of rap music, but I think Neil points out in one of his books that he liked the way rap was incorporated into rock sometimes, using Faith No More's 'Epic' as an example. I remember that FNM album ... I think I played it until the tape disinigrated. Whatever happened to those guys, anyone know?

My husband (being the wise-a** he is) asked me when the last time Rush had a chart-busting song was .... I told him it was a long time ago ... and I wouldn't want it any other way. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Personally I like it. Look, I think Rush decided a long time ago we will play what we want regardless of what anyone thinks. It sounds a bit selfish but to me that's why they have made it this far in the music industry and the fans respect that. Besides, I can't imagine Rush as let's say AC/DC no disrespect to them. I am just glad that Rush takes a chance and plays so many different styles of music that's what makes them so great!!!JMO trink39.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 17 2005, 04:23 PM)
I don't know how valid this is but I heard that more Neil hears people complain about that song the more they'll play it. Gotta love it if it's true biggrin.gif.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 17 2005, 04:13 PM)

i probably would like it on dope as my memories of dope are such that you can enjoy pretty much just about anything, but it's the stuff that holds up when straight that I think is truly great.

i hope no one took any offense at my point of view, for it is truly my point of view and opinion only. i can't make myself like what i don't like, but they have made i think 18 studio albums (including feedback), and i love 14 of them, and think another one is halfway decent - it's really not a bad batting average. there's not one music group i know and love who have had a 20+ year career where I love EVERYTHING they've done. unfortunately, as it is with rush, for most of those groups, it's their later/latest stuff that doesn't do it for me as much. i'm still pretty shocked when rush comes out with an album that i don't like as for me they were completely infallable for so long, longer than most.

if others enjoy the albums i don't, fantastic, and if you love everything they've ever done, that's wonderful, but no matter how much i love and adore a band like i do rush, i still judge each album on its own merits and can't force myself to love it if it just doesn't move me. of course the albums i don't love, when compared to most popular music, still stand near the top of the heap, but rush have put up a pretty high standard as far as i'm concerned, and when something doesn't come close to that standard to my ears, it's impossible for me not to notice. i can try to enjoy it for what it is, but that doesn't get me through too many listens if i just don't think it measures up. there's too much great rush music or great music by other bands i could be listening to instead.

peace,

goob

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2005, 05:36 PM)

i probably would like it on dope as my memories of dope are such that you can enjoy pretty much just about anything, but it's the stuff that holds up when straight that I think is truly great.

i hope no one took any offense at my point of view, for it is truly my point of view and opinion only. i can't make myself like what i don't like, but they have made i think 18 studio albums (including feedback), and i love 14 of them, and think another one is halfway decent - it's really not a bad batting average. there's not one music group i know and love who have had a 20+ year career where I love EVERYTHING they've done. unfortunately, as it is with rush, for most of those groups, it's their later/latest stuff that doesn't do it for me as much. i'm still pretty shocked when rush comes out with an album that i don't like as for me they were completely infallable for so long, longer than most.

if others enjoy the albums i don't, fantastic, and if you love everything they've ever done, that's wonderful, but no matter how much i love and adore a band like i do rush, i still judge each album on its own merits and can't force myself to love it if it just doesn't move me. of course the albums i don't love, when compared to most popular music, still stand near the top of the heap, but rush have put up a pretty high standard as far as i'm concerned, and when something doesn't come close to that standard to my ears, it's impossible for me not to notice. i can try to enjoy it for what it is, but that doesn't get me through too many listens if i just don't think it measures up. there's too much great rush music or great music by other bands i could be listening to instead.

peace,

goob

Come on Goob you know you wanna spark a big hasher cool10.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 17 2005, 06:40 PM)

peace,

goob

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 18 2005, 07:36 AM)

peace,

goob

BLASPHEMY ! Not loving EVERYTHING the holy trinity does?! dazed025.gif

Seriously though, I don't like the rap in RTB but also it never really bothered me either.

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 17 2005, 05:40 PM)

peace,

goob

actually, i really, really don't...

The fact that The Boys can have fun doing something like that is enough for me. I sure ain't no record producer. tongue.gif

No Regrets. I like it all. They were having fun. In fact I am proud to say I have seen Public Enemy 3 times!

I saw them them on the "It takes a nation of millions to hold us back" tour , opening and playing with Anthrax and opening for U2 in Denver.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 9 2005, 06:25 PM)
No Regrets. I like it all. They were having fun. In fact I am proud to say I have seen Public Enemy 3 times!

I saw them them on the "It takes a nation of millions to hold us back" tour , opening and playing with Anthrax and opening for U2 in Denver.

hey tangdog, nice ozrics avatar dude. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2005, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 9 2005, 06:25 PM)

I saw them them on the "It takes a nation of millions to hold us back" tour , opening and playing with Anthrax and opening for  U2 in Denver.

hey tangdog, nice ozrics avatar dude. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Goob, Its great to learn of another Ozrics Fan here at the Forum! We gotta spread the word.

I hate rap. I therefore really really really hated this section of this song when the album came out and for many years. I am now barely tolerant of it.

However, it goes over extremely well judging by crowd reaction at every show, so it would appear a lot more people like it then dislike it. The skeleton rap is kind of a show staple and I certainly don't begrudge Rush or any other band from doing whatever they want. I will however personally judge on whether or not I like it. I might or I might not.

I also do not like everything Rush has ever recorded but I do like the vast majority of it, especially the first 15 years or so. In fact, for the first 15 years I can probably count on 1 hand the songs I do not like and everything else is beyond great. They do not have that same score card (for me personally) over the last 15 years.

By the way "goob" your last "explanation" post was very well put.

I like the rap. It's ironic, funny, not to be taken seriously. It's a bit of fun live too.

Has anyone heard Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon by Queen? Or Space Truckin' by Deep Purple? Or Hot Dog by Led Zeppelin?

Music doesn't have to be serious, demonstrating a sense of fun is bound to occur with any band at the height of their creativity, and should be encouraged.

QUOTE (Rob @ Aug 10 2005, 04:34 PM)
I like the rap. It's ironic, funny, not to be taken seriously. It's a bit of fun live too.

Has anyone heard Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon by Queen? Or Space Truckin' by Deep Purple? Or Hot Dog by Led Zeppelin?

Music doesn't have to be serious, demonstrating a sense of fun is bound to occur with any band at the height of their creativity, and should be encouraged.

I don't who this guy is.... but I like him. trink39.gif

Archived