Regrets over the rap section in RTB?

Pericles

Have any of the members expressed regret over the rap section in Roll the Bones? I cringe evertime that I hear it and I cannot help but think that they do regret it.

Discuss.

PS- Does anyone here even like that part?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the reggae part in vital signs, Spirit of Radio, Digital Man and New World Man too.

Same with Enemy Within.

Of course I'm just kidding. The rap part is cool - goes to show Rush can experiment with all types of music.

Let's not forget that our boy's have a great sense of humor here

I think it's fine,it's fun and it fits the song well

Well written lyrics are well written lyrics whether sung in rap fashion or twisted into country twang

I never had a problem with it on the CD. However personally speaking, I think the rap section live on stage in synch with the skeleton video is a mind blowing highlight of every show. yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jul 14 2005, 10:24 PM)
i forget which rap artist they were thinking about having as a guest on the album but i thought that would have been cool. especially to have them rap it live in concert on a few select dates.

You're thinking of LL Cool J. That is unless you deem John Cleese a rapper. smile.gif

It's not as good as Master P but it's ok. It doesn't piss me off or anything. It's not By tor or anything but I can live with it, he plays an SG like mine in that song so I'm diggin it.

If I remember right, I always took a wizz during Roll the bones all 6 times I saw them last tour, either RTB or the cover tunes. So it worked out real nice.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jul 15 2005, 08:15 AM)
It's not as good as Master P but it's ok. It doesn't piss me off or anything. It's not By tor or anything but I can live with it, he plays an SG like mine in that song so I'm diggin it.

If I remember right, I always took a wizz during Roll the bones all 6 times I saw them last tour, either RTB or the cover tunes. So it worked out real nice.

rofl3.gif

I hit the pisser every show during the acoustic set.

I think the rap is embarrassing, btw.

I've always liked the rap section. I'm not particularly fond of the skeleton, but the rap's cool, and it fits nicely into the song.

i agree with physics the rap section is cool

i always thought the rap section is cool...

again, they experiemented... it works for some, it doesn't work for others....

for me... it works...... shows they are hip with the times... keeping things fresh... and they are not afraid to go ut there and try something new....

QUOTE (Pericles @ Jul 14 2005, 09:25 PM)
Have any of the members expressed regret over the rap section in Roll the Bones? I cringe evertime that I hear it and I cannot help but think that they do regret it.

Discuss.

PS- Does anyone here even like that part?

As far as I'm concerned, it's probably Rush's worst moment. Every time I hear that song I have to turn it off at that point, and even more, that song off of that album made me really lose interest in Rush back in 1991 until Counterparts came along and redeemed them. I know it's meant as a joke, but I really think it was a very BAD idea...

I hate rap probably more than anyone on the planet but saying you don't like this one is like saying you don't like Eddie Van Halens solo on Beat It! wink.gif

It's a gimmick, as sign of the times...

I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records. They can do what they want. I think they've earned it. And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it. Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I'll still be there - enjoying the hell of it. All of it. yes.gif

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others. Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing. smile.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 17 2005, 12:51 PM)
I hate rap probably more than anyone on the planet but saying you don't like this one is like saying you don't like Eddie Van Halens solo on Beat It! wink.gif

It's a gimmick, as sign of the times...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif AlexFinal.gif EXCELLENT ANALOGY blah.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 17 2005, 12:57 PM)
I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records. They can do what they want. I think they've earned it. And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it. Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I'll still be there - enjoying the hell of it. All of it. yes.gif

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others. Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing. smile.gif

of course, rush are free to do whatever they want, and i wish i could enjoy all of it, but i just don't - presto is ok, roll the bones has 3 good songs or so, and T4E and vapor trails are just bad (as rush goes) imho - i wish i could love everything they do, but at least i love most everything they've done! the rap part of roll the bones though just makes me shudder when i hear it. if you're gonna make a joke, put it on the album sleeve, but do you have to ruin a song and drag down a whole album to do it?... confused13.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

I'm not a fan of the rap in RTB. Despite the rap in RTB, I still enjoy the song because it shows how Rush is a band that is willing to experiment (as many of you have already pointed out) and that they can write incredible music. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2005, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 17 2005, 12:57 PM)
I'm glad they don't worry about what you'd all think when writing material and making records.  They can do what they want.  I think they've earned it.  And I'll listen with an open mind, find the fun, and enjoy it.  Go take your leaks at the concerts or press stop on the player.

I'll still be there - enjoying the hell of it.  All of it.  yes.gif

I guess some things are to be taken less serious than others.  Recognizing that, and being ok with it, is a good thing.  smile.gif

of course, rush are free to do whatever they want, and i wish i could enjoy all of it, but i just don't - presto is ok, roll the bones has 3 good songs or so, and T4E and vapor trails are just bad (as rush goes) imho - i wish i could love everything they do, but at least i love most everything they've done! the rap part of roll the bones though just makes me shudder when i hear it. if you're gonna make a joke, put it on the album sleeve, but do you have to ruin a song and drag down a whole album to do it?... confused13.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

It's a shame you see it that way. Can't please everyone, I guess. I don't go ape shit over every song of theirs either, but I wouldn't wish that they had never done it. It just proves to me that they have a wide range to their music. I will always see that as a good thing.

I never thought of the rap section as a joke. I saw it as as them having a bit of fun - and I'm all for that. The song wasn't ruined, nor was the album - but that's my opinion. It doesn't have to be yours. biggrin.gif

and btw - what the hell does ph34r.gif represent? Can anyone tell me? I never could figure that one out.

Archived