Would you be opposed to Geddy lip-syncing or using voice-enhancement technology to cover older material in concert?

GeminiRising79

Well today i actually found, through Lynda.com, that everytime Geddy pats his head, it gives the sign to the Sound tech to add a small treble tweak to the mic and to raise his bass volume, thats why before the instrumental for Freewill he does this especially for the higher pitch vocal part afterwords.... Doesn't really bother, because they are still true to themselves in vocal, because on the last tour their tech said he barely signaled for it....
  • Like 1

I'm probably going to sound like a pecker-head here, but what in the F are people complaining about Geddy's voice for? The guy sounds goddam amazing, 60 years old or not.

But, to answer the original question - Yes, I would be opposed. There is NO need for any enhancement period.

• Like 6

I'm probably going to sound like a pecker-head here, but what in the F are people complaining about Geddy's voice for? The guy sounds goddam amazing, 60 years old or not.

But, to answer the original question - Yes, I would be opposed. There is NO need for any enhancement period.

Yah I still think he sounds good! just pointing the little backstage fact, but yah hes aging but he still knows how to hit those notes and he still sings good!

• Like 1

I'm probably going to sound like a pecker-head here, but what in the F are people complaining about Geddy's voice for?

Because he sings like shit these days...and has for at least a decade.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I'm probably going to sound like a pecker-head here, but what in the F are people complaining about Geddy's voice for?

He sounded bad on the Time Machine tour when I saw him, but he had a cold or ear infection or something. But on Clockwork Angels he sounded great, and was hitting the high notes well.

• Like 2

I can answer this question in one word- yes. I can't even put into a thousand words how opposed I would be to it. If that were ever to happen, the integrity factor of the band would instantly go to zero, in my opinion.

Neil would never stand for it, either!

Their integrity factor is getting uncomfortably close to zero for me as it is.

As for Neil not standing for it, is this the same Neil who triggers a guitar part?

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way, brother. I'll tell you, if I felt that way about them now, I wouldn't even be hanging around here. But to each his or her own...

As for your comment about Neil...by that same logic, then you would have a problem with Geddy using the Taurus pedals, too, wouldn't that be right? And if that's the case, that zaps the integrity out of a pretty good chunk of all the music they've played live since about 1977.

I was thinking about this the other night and came to the conclusion that I would be perfectly fine with Geddy resorting to voice-enhancing aids to sing material that he can't (or struggles with, i.e., the classic stuff). It would probably be a tremendous relief for him. Would anyone be opposed to Geddy doing this?

His voice is enhanced via a microphone.

BTW - some people are convinced he tried that back in the 90's after his surgery.

I would want him to use voice enhancements or falsetto to get the higher stuff. His voice is getting lower and lower every album. His voice sounds gradually deeper every album they release. His vocals sound different even in snakes and arrows then it does in clockwork angels. For now, his voice is fine.

He is most defiantly not lip syncing. Wouldn't it look silly for a guy who normally sings low to be lip syncing the original voice track from closer to the heart?

That's what I think.

I can answer this question in one word- yes. I can't even put into a thousand words how opposed I would be to it. If that were ever to happen, the integrity factor of the band would instantly go to zero, in my opinion.

Neil would never stand for it, either!

Their integrity factor is getting uncomfortably close to zero for me as it is.

As for Neil not standing for it, is this the same Neil who triggers a guitar part?

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way, brother. I'll tell you, if I felt that way about them now, I wouldn't even be hanging around here. But to each his or her own...

I only wander over this part of the board occasionally (too many fanbois here for my taste most of the time)...most of my time is spent in SOCN.

As for your comment about Neil...by that same logic, then you would have a problem with Geddy using the Taurus pedals, too, wouldn't that be right? And if that's the case, that zaps the integrity out of a pretty good chunk of all the music they've played live since about 1977.

I was unaware Geddy triggered guitar parts with Taurus pedals "back in the day". The first time I noticed him triggering guitar parts was around the TFE tour (which may indeed be "back in the day" for some here, but not for me...and I don't know if he was using a Taurus pedal to fire off the sample), and yeah, it bugged me then.

Well his vocals are only gonna go down. He used to be able to mask it in the studio. But on CA they couldn't even mask it anymore. so enjoy it while you can.

Mick

What couldn't they "mask" on CA? There are some great vocal performances throughout it.

Bullshit. He just doesn't sing like he did when he (and you) were young because his voice has changed. The way he has adapted and the performances he can still give his fans should be applauded.
  • Like 2

Bullshit. He just doesn't sing like he did when he (and you) were young because his voice has changed. The way he has adapted and the performances he can still give his fans should be applauded.

Your and my fanhood aside, I can't play anything live of the last 10 years in front of my kids. They just look at each other and laugh. Out of the mouths of babes.

• Like 2

Your and my fanhood aside, I can't play anything live of the last 10 years in front of my kids. They just look at each other and laugh. Out of the mouths of babes.

His voice is not the same, but it is his voice and I have no issue with it. Rush would not be Rush without Geddy and his voice.

My kids laughed at everything I liked when they were younger. But they didn't know shit. And neither do your kids.

When your base is Justin Bieber and Katy Perry and a host of rappers, do you really expect them to have any appreciation for real music?

Rush has a history. A history they can be proud of. I am proud because I got a chance to share in that history.

If it ever comes to a point that Geddy cannot sing the songs, this is when Rush should just blow out the candle.

His voice is not the same, but it is his voice and I have no issue with it. Rush would not be Rush without Geddy and his voice.

My kids laughed at everything I liked when they were younger. But they didn't know shit. And neither do your kids.

When your base is Justin Bieber and Katy Perry and a host of rappers, do you really expect them to have any appreciation for real music?

Rush has a history. A history they can be proud of. I am proud because I got a chance to share in that history.

If it ever comes to a point that Geddy cannot sing the songs, this is when Rush should just blow out the candle.

My kids know plenty. They are very good musicians. They generally don't go for much of the new music. They like Rush. They know when someone strains all the time, can't hit notes and is out of tune. It it what it is. I wouldn't change it either. Geddy is the voice of Rush and I can live with it. Doesn't mean its good though.

• Like 2

Whether it's a kid laughing or an adult shaking his head, an unflattering reaction to Geddy's vocals shouldn't simply be attributed to a lack of musical knowledge. It doesn't take a rock-and-roll historian or a musical guru to figure out Geddy is a vocalist in decline who sounds flat-out bad at times.

At the same time, a fan who recognizes these things isn't necessarily a fan who doesn't appreciate Geddy's efforts or who wants the man to throw in the towel just yet.

• Like 2

His vocal performance on sections of Seven Cities of Gold is pure shit. Somebody should tell him he can't sing like he did when he (and I) were young and to try not to sing beyond his limitations, which seem to grow year by year.

I thought he sounded really good on the CA tour, especially on the first leg, but he didn't sound very good when I saw them for TM but I was still stoked cause it was my first rush gig and the music was too perfect for me to dwell on the fact that it's not 1979 anymore. but yes, obviously he was a better singer in the 70s and 80s, but that doesn't mean he always sounds like shit.

...I can't play anything live of the last ten years in front of my kids, they just look at each other and laugh

Oh, well why didn't you say this in the first place??

Had I known your kids felt this way I would have never responded.

:sarcastic:

Edited by eshine

My kids know plenty. They are very good musicians. They generally don't go for much of the new music. They like Rush. They know when someone strains all the time, can't hit notes and is out of tune. It it what it is. I wouldn't change it either. Geddy is the voice of Rush and I can live with it. Doesn't mean its good though.

I see the point was entirely missed. No one, even me, says Geddy has a great or even good voice today. But it is the band Rush. No one expects you're kids to appreciate this history as the music they like today will be replaced by more shit in just a short few years.

If you don't see Rush as collaborative and needing one another to be Rush, you don't share the same history I do. Geddy Lee is Rush. And deservedly so.

I know it sounds weird, but I actually like Geddy's Voice as it is. I wouldn't be against it, but I wouldn't enjoy it either. If he has trouble singing, then he should consider doing it.