Would you be opposed to Geddy lip-syncing or using voice-enhancement technology to cover older material in concert?

GeminiRising79

I was thinking about this the other night and came to the conclusion that I would be perfectly fine with Geddy resorting to voice-enhancing aids to sing material that he can't (or struggles with, i.e., the classic stuff). It would probably be a tremendous relief for him. Would anyone be opposed to Geddy doing this?

I think its cool he even still performs at his age. His voice isn't what it used to be, but id rather her try his best than lip sync like some cheap pop starlet who cannot hold a tune.

He is an older man now, show some respect and enjoy the spectacle that is a Rush show! I would do anything to see them live, that chance will probably never arise. Be grateful!

Its like when famous women get criticised for looking old. So what? Beauty fades, but that doesn't decrease the value of their art.

• Like 5

As much as I want to hear All The World's A Stage recreated for me in 2014 and be right in the center front row, I don't think even I want that. If I was unaware that's what was going on then.......... :huh: :)
  • Like 1

He already does it, doesn't he?

His threads are growing weaker. Kurt?!? Slipping bro. Corinthian leather—bring it back!!!

Where's Ricardo?.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg/800px-1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg

• Like 1

His threads are growing weaker. Kurt?!? Slipping bro. Corinthian leather—bring it back!!!

Where's Ricardo?.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg/800px-1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg

Nobody could say "co-reen-thee-in" like Ricardo

Where's Ricardo?.....

Nobody could say "co-reen-thee-in" like Ricardo

I was in life's full swing when that car came out... :codger:

No no no no no.

And the band will never ever get to that. I don't believe for second they would this. Once Geddy can't sing good enough live.......they are done. SOme people around here already think that. But last tour he rocked. His vocals were pretty damn good for a guy his age...singing this kind of stuff.

And yes I would be opposed. Keep it real. I can take some triggered sounds and some looped guitar parts from Alex....but nothing obvious. And vocals lip synced?

Really?

Rush would be a sell out at that point....it would break my heart.

• Like 5

No no no no no.

And the band will never ever get to that. I don't believe for second they would this. Once Geddy can't sing good enough live.......they are done. SOme people around here already think that. But last tour he rocked. His vocals were pretty damn good for a guy his age...singing this kind of stuff.

And yes I would be opposed. Keep it real. I can take some triggered sounds and some looped guitar parts from Alex....but nothing obvious. And vocals lip synced?

Really?

Truth is, you just said it. For his age. Every time someone discusses this subject there is always a caveat. He either sounds good enough or he doesn't. Not arguing either way, just pointing out what I seem to hear around here when the subject comes up.... :)
  • Like 2

I am opposed to this. Using sequencers to recreate sounds from the studio albums (Grand Designs, Tom Sawyer intro, stuff like that) I am perfectly okay with, they enhance the experience without drawing from the band's integrity (Ged and Alex hit the pedals to cue the effects, come on). Stuff like tuning Geddy's vocals or *gag* lip-synching, I am firmly opposed to. They are a rock band, and they should continue to act as such. This isn't a Lady Gaga show, fellas.
  • Like 3

I am opposed to this. Using sequencers to recreate sounds from the studio albums (Grand Designs, Tom Sawyer intro, stuff like that) I am perfectly okay with, they enhance the experience without drawing from the band's integrity (Ged and Alex hit the pedals to cue the effects, come on). Stuff like tuning Geddy's vocals or *gag* lip-synching, I am firmly opposed to. They are a rock band, and they should continue to act as such. This isn't a Lady Gaga show, fellas.

I am not going to proclaim greatness here when it comes to her music, but Lady Gaga is a ridiculously talented singer and I have yet to see or hear of her repeatedly make use of miming. That woman is a pro with a wonderful voice, sadly wasted on absolute junk. Should have said Miley Cyrus...saw her perform live on the telly and felt like putting her out of her misery...worst thing is is that she talked afterwards without any problem, so you can't even argue she had a bad throat...

But Lady Gaga was a bad choice to pick upon...annoying yes, but she is a talented (though tasteless) woman...

• Like 1

How else can Geddy hit the higher notes on the classic greats? Are they going to eventually phase out any song he can no longer accomodate? They're going to have to make a decision relatively soon. I'm a purist by nature, but I'd rather hear him sync-ing or enhanced while singing the classics, rather than hearing a concert largely composed of the newer bullchit. Edited by GeminiRising79

No! I'd rather RUSH tune down, play it in a completely different key or even sing he songs an octave lower. I would even prefer guest singers or retirement before Geddy uses a pitch correction device. Really? I can't believe you would even consider Geddy sounding like Will I. Am from the Black Eye Peas.

NO! No! and again NOI!!.

Oh Clockwork Angels isn't bullshit....this thread might be though.

:facepalm:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

No no no no no.

Really?

Truth is, you just said it. For his age. Every time someone discusses this subject there is always a caveat. He either sounds good enough or he doesn't. Not arguing either way, just pointing out what I seem to hear around here when the subject comes up.... :)

Geddy sings so damn good. The new stuff is off the hook.

• Like 2