NFL trouble selling out playoff games

alphseeker

Since HDTV came out I have only attended one game. The only reason I went was because the ticket was free.

My reasons not to attend:

1 hour to park, 2 hours to leave / Drunk, obnoxious, sometimes violent fans / Outrageous prices on tickets and concessions / hot or cold extremes / Can't see what the heck is going on half the time / Lack of replays / insanely uncomfortable seats / blah blah blah blah blah

There has to be a better solution than to continue the blackouts and punish fans for staying at home. Perhaps increase the cost of commercial advertising, companies would pay it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/the-nfl-has-a-big-problem-on-its-hands-010214

If blackouts are universally lifted, then we will probably see half-empty stadiums in many NFL cities. That is not what the NFL wants. Lowering ticket prices is the easiest solution, IMO.
  • Like 1

If blackouts are universally lifted, then we will probably see half-empty stadiums in many NFL cities. That is not what the NFL wants. Lowering ticket prices is the easiest solution, IMO.

I understand you can't lift blackouts entirely but the current limits are way to high. If they were to drop limits to say 90% capacity they still would make tons of money and blackouts would drop significantly. I can understand a 2-10 team being blacked out but a team that is 9-6 hoping for a playoff birth being blacked out because they couldn't sell the last 1500 tickets is just plain greed.

We've got season tickets and I love attending games, from the tailgating through the end. Usually get to at least 6 games a year.

If a team can't sell out a freakin playoff game, there is a real problem.

• Like 2

I understand you can't lift blackouts entirely but the current limits are way to high. If they were to drop limits to say 90% capacity they still would make tons of money and blackouts would drop significantly. I can understand a 2-10 team being blacked out but a team that is 9-6 hoping for a playoff birth being blacked out because they couldn't sell the last 1500 tickets is just plain greed.

90% is a fair number. It would help a lot of teams.

It's very ironic that current television technology (home HDTV screens) is hurting the profits of the NFL, which owes its current success to TV networks....:LOL:

For live sports, I prefer college football and basketball or minor league baseball and hockey. It's more affordable, more family friendly. Pro games feel like a rip-off, and the long periods of dead time for tv timeouts are a drag.

ETA: I undersatdn the blackout thing. It's a business, and there's an assumed public commitment to having a team in your city. I remember back in the 80's choosing to go to a Seahawks playoff game to avoid the blackout. It was a great time...but that was long ago.

Edited by goose

For live sports, I prefer college football and basketball or minor league baseball and hockey. It's more affordable, more family friendly. Pro games feel like a rip-off, and the long periods of dead time for tv timeouts are a drag.

ETA: I undersatdn the blackout thing. It's a business, and there's an assumed public commitment to having a team in your city. I remember back in the 80's choosing to go to a Seahawks playoff game to avoid the blackout. It was a great time...but that was long ago.

I like small-time college sports. Division III and low-stakes Division 1 schools. Big-time college athletics is a joke and an affront to legitimate higher ed. But to be honest, I don't beleive in athletic scholarships at all.

Colts tickets were bought up by Meijer and Bengals tickets by mostly Kroger.

I doesn't help that a major storm is coming Saturday night.

I live next to the Ohio border, so I get Indiana and Ohio stations...wasn't worried about blackouts. ;)

Let's be honest, in Green Bay it's going to be a wind chill of 50 below. You'd have to be insane to go to the game when you can watch it on (any) TV.

Let's be honest, in Green Bay it's going to be a wind chill of 50 below. You'd have to be insane to go to the game when you can watch it on (any) TV.

Then I (and thousands more) must be insane. :yes: If I could get off work and if I had a ticket, I would go for sure.

Current forecast is for 2 degrees (wind chill of -16, NOT -50) at kickoff, with the temp dropping to -7 by 6:00pm.

I've worked most of my working days out in the elements. All you have to do is invest in the proper attire, and you're good to go. Long underwear. Thick, over-the-calf work socks. BOOTS, not shoes. Knit hats. Hand warmers. Thick coats. The one thing you DON'T do is worry about being "fashionable" or looking pretty. Your dress for warmth and nothing else.

What will Viking fans do for the next year or two now that they get to go to outdoor games? Minneapolis is just as cold as Green Bay....maybe even colder.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Then I (and thousands more) must be insane. :yes: If I could get off work and if I had a ticket, I would go for sure.

Current forecast is for 2 degrees (wind chill of -16, NOT -50) at kickoff, with the temp dropping to -7 by 6:00pm.

I've worked most of my working days out in the elements. All you have to do is invest in the proper attire, and you're good to go. Long underwear. Thick, over-the-calf work socks. BOOTS, not shoes. Knit hats. Hand warmers. Thick coats. The one thing you DON'T do is worry about being "fashionable" or looking pretty. Your dress for warmth and nothing else.

What will Viking fans do for the next year or two now that they get to go to outdoor games? Minneapolis is almost always colder than Green Bay.

Yes, but the Vikings usually aren't playing this late in the year.

Have fun at the game!

I won't go to any outdoor game after the 1st of November , guess that's why Indiana is a basketball state. :LOL:

• Like 1

I won't go to any outdoor game after the 1st of November , guess that's why Indiana is a basketball state. :LOL:

Most of my Packer games have been in September/October. I did go once in November (upper 30's), which was fine, and once in December (upper 20's). The December game (1989) would have been OK, but the Packers lost 21-3. We had no reason to get up and cheer (and keep warm).... :doh:

Edited by Principled Man

The latest forecast is 0 for game time (-20 WC) dropping to -5 by the end of the game (-28 WC). Not so bad.

Thanks to those evil, soul sucking corporations that bailed the NFL out by buying up tickets.

It's about time they started contributing something to society.... ;) ;)