Presto

Brucey

Never heard it...... :)

This guy...

I think Presto's among the lower tier but it has some decent stuff on it. I like The Pass, Red Tide, and Superconductor, with everything else on the album falling a bit flat, but then again I didn't really like anything 1987-1991. Counterparts was the first truly great album after Power Windows.

The problem with Presto is that it's a transitional album, with the guys trying to figure out where their sound is, because let's face it, Hold Your Fire was over the line. Naturally, this means that the songs aren't very memorable at all. The good thing about Presto is that you can see that Lerxst is having a bit more presence, with more guitar work rather than the bursty sheets of chords that we hear in Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, with not much else going on in his camp then. The album's a lot more vocal based, that's for sure, which to me is a bit a step in the wrong direction, but chalk that up to musical taste. Lyrics have always been the last thing on my mind with music, and I prefer instruments over vocals, so there you go. While I consider Presto to be one of their worst, I'm also glad it's there. The real album to dislike is Roll The Bones, because they didn't really change anything from what they did on Presto, except that Dreamline is an awesome song. I'm glad they threw the curve ball with Counterparts, because it was the album that started bringing them back to where they needed to be: hard progressive rock.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 4

This guy...

I think Presto's among the lower tier but it has some decent stuff on it. I like The Pass, Red Tide, and Superconductor, with everything else on the album falling a bit flat, but then again I didn't really like anything 1987-1991. Counterparts was the first truly great album after Power Windows.

The problem with Presto is that it's a transitional album, with the guys trying to figure out where their sound is, because let's face it, Hold Your Fire was over the line. Naturally, this means that the songs aren't very memorable at all. The good thing about Presto is that you can see that Lerxst is having a bit more presence, with more guitar work rather than the bursty sheets of chords that we hear in Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, with not much else going on in his camp then. The album's a lot more vocal based, that's for sure, which to me is a bit a step in the wrong direction, but chalk that up to musical taste. Lyrics have always been the last thing on my mind with music, and I prefer instruments over vocals, so there you go. While I consider Presto to be one of their worst, I'm also glad it's there. The real album to dislike is Roll The Bones, because they didn't really change anything from what they did on Presto, except that Dreamline is an awesome song. I'm glad they threw the curve ball with Counterparts, because it was the album that started bringing them back to where they needed to be: hard progressive rock.

Excellent summation! Thanks :goodone:

This guy...

Excellent summation! Thanks :goodone:

And I didn't even move my lips......... :)
  • Like 1

I find Presto very inconsistent. The Pass is one of my favourite Rush songs, and I also love Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, and Presto. Of course, there is also Superconductor, one of my least favourites. The rest of the album is pretty good (Anagram is very underrated, in my opinion), but the production drags the whole effort down. It's still listenable, but it would be interesting to hear what the songs would be like if they had more "balls" to them. Overall, it's not my least favourite Rush album, but I rank it pretty low on the list.
  • Like 1

I really enjoy this album! It has some really interesting moments and I enjoy it from start to finish, which is funny considering I don't even think its one of their best.

Better than HYF, not as good as RTB.

Narpet...buy the recent albums box set and catch up! Lol, I think you will find the odd gem here and there.

• Like 2

The title track, The Pass, Show Don't Tell and Anagram are all great. I'm not too fond of the rest. The mix is also pretty thin although the new box set version is a bit better. Not the worst album they've done but certainly not close to the top either.
  • Like 1

In my order of preference I'd consider it better than S&A. About the same as RTB, though Dreamline is better than anything on Presto. Behind all the rest, even HYF. Nothing really memorable about this album.. Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I have to be in the mood for it...it's a great one to listen to on headphones...I find I enjoy it more if i pretend it's an album by a band other than Rush.

If they'd remaster it I'd give it more of a listen, but it sounds like it's being played out of a tin box. There's no bass.

Other than that, I like The Pass and Presto. Rarely listen to anything else. Probably would rank pretty close to the bottom.

I really enjoy this album! It has some really interesting moments and I enjoy it from start to finish, which is funny considering I don't even think its one of their best.

Narpet...buy the recent albums box set and catch up! Lol, I think you will find the odd gem here and there.

That's the problem....... :)

It has a lot of nostalgic appeal to me, as it was the first new Rush album to be released during the time I started college. So it always reminds me of those cold wintery nights of 1989 in my old college town.

The production (as has been mentioned billions of times over the years) is indeed pretty thin and anemic, and while I rail against that because it does sound pretty balls-less, the cold sound does contribute to the "wintery" sound of the album. It does sound very clear compared to the bog of mud that would be Test For Echo a few years later, though...

The only song I don't like on the album is Stupidconductor. Errrrr Superconductor. Always skip it. Sounds like it should be a battery commercial.

• Like 2

Just listen to them on youtube or something!

lol...I guess you know what you like. But...how can you dislike or prefer something over if you have yet to properly hear it?

I think you misunderstood. I will not listen to 40 minutes of music to find 5 minutes of good music. Truth is I have tried to listen to that era and all it does is bum me out. I sounds nothing like the band I fell in love with. I understand, however, that age groups and demographics vary widely on this forum. I can completely understand how someone much younger than I may have first gotten into the band during that era and loves it. It's just not for me. The music I really like is pre Hold You Fire. The music I really love is pre Moving Pictures. Hope that makes some sense. My truth as always, setting me free.... :codger:
  • Like 6

I think you misunderstood. I will not listen to 40 minutes of music to find 5 minutes of good music. Truth is I have tried to listen to that era and all it does is bum me out. I sounds nothing like the band I fell in love with. I understand, however, that age groups and demographics vary widely on this forum. I can completely understand how someone much younger than I may have first gotten into the band during that era and loves it. It's just not for me. The music I really like is pre Hold You Fire. The music I really love is pre Moving Pictures. Hope that makes some sense. My truth as always, setting me free.... :codger:

Narpet, come 'round to my place and I'll play you some post Moving Pictures stuff that will blow your mind. I have beer! ;)

• Like 1

Narpet, come 'round to my place and I'll play you some post Moving Pictures stuff that will blow your mind. I have beer! ;)

I would love for my mind to be blown and I enjoy a good beer as well. From what I've read about where you live I may need to bring a raincoat..... :huh: :)
  • Like 1

I would love for my mind to be blown and I enjoy a good beer as well. From what I've read about where you live I may need to bring a raincoat..... :huh: :)

:laughing yellow guy: I keep my stereo dry, though. And the beer is cooled! :LOL:

• Like 1