Rush after the golden years - Power windows to Roll the bones

BUB

56 members have voted

1. 1. I prefere

• Power windows
    • Hold your fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the bones

Ok, these are my least favorite albums, not because they are bad or anyting, but they`re not under my skin yet. It was a leap going from death and black metal and listening to Hold your fire and Roll the bones :P

But, what`s you`re favorite?

HYF is really good aside from two songs I can't stand. PoW has three great songs along with a couple that are okay and three that I could live without. Presto has two or three great ones but some clunkers too and awful production. RtB has no great songs.

HYF, I guess.

Power Windows by a long shot. I probably wouldn't have said that before this last tour though. Hearing the songs performed live really made made me love them even more.
  • Like 1

One day...I just know this will happen...I am gonna give Power Windows another spin and it will rule my world. The same thing happened with both Permanent Waves and Signals. I thought they were rubbish at first, now I love them both!

Funnily enough, I really enjoy Hold Your Fire. I loved it from my first listen! What's up with that?

Have yet to hear the other two.

• Like 1

One day...I just know this will happen...I am gonna give Power Windows another spin and it will rule my world. The same thing happened with both Permanent Waves and Signals. I thought they were rubbish at first, now I love them both!

Power Windows used to be my least-favorite Rush album by far. It's still down towards the bottom, but I've always loved The Big Money, and I've come to love Manhattan Project. And Emotion Detector is a personal favorite.

I doubt I'll ever really like Mystic Rhythms and a couple of the other tracks, but the strong ones make the album good enough to rank second among this batch, at least for the moment.

• Like 1

I walked away from Rush because of Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, the first crack was Grace Under Pressure (as much for the haircuts as the music). Now, I love them all. Power Windows is the last Rush album where I think every minute is essential to the album, Hold Your Fire was a bit too long and repetitive. All the albums after Hold Your Fire are okay to very good.
  • Like 1

I think it's tough one but I went with Power Windows. Lately I'm warming up to Roll The Bones, and I'm falling in love with Ghost Of A Chance and Neurotica. Presto has a long way to go, but The Pass is one of my favorite Rush songs.

This is exactly why I don't want them to go back and "fix" old records to give them more balls or make them sound modern. I love the lack of balls on Roll The Bones or Grace Under Pressure. Rush music is like a buffet - there's a little of everything :)

This is exactly why I don't want them to go back and "fix" old records to give them more balls or make them sound modern. I love the lack of balls on Roll The Bones

I don't know, man... balls can make a huge difference. As soon as I heard the virile Different Stages version of Dreamline, I knew I'd have no further use for the nads-less studio rendition.

• Like 1

This is exactly why I don't want them to go back and "fix" old records to give them more balls or make them sound modern. I love the lack of balls on Roll The Bones

I don't know, man... balls can make a huge difference. As soon as I heard the virile Different Stages version of Dreamline, I knew I'd have no further use for the nads-less studio rendition.

I can say the same thing for the Clockwork Angels Tour version of Where's My Thing? I don't think I'll go back and listen to the studio version as much as the live version now.

As far as my favorite album of the 4 listed, it's Power Windows by a landslide.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that GuP and Signals aren't here.

But with what we have:

1. RTB: Finally got Rush back into the win column after years of declining sales, relevance, radio play, interest, etc.

8. Presto: Finally, moved away from the synths. The sound was thinner than I would like, and the songs are hit and miss, but the hits are better than the misses.

9. Hold Your Fire: This was has grown on me. Still saturated, but it has some good melodies and good experiments.

10. Power Windows: This let everyone know that this keyboard crap was here to stay. 3/4 very good songs, and a lot of filler.

I am not going to expand on my opinion in any way as not to be a downer. Power Windows by default......... :codger: Edited by Narpet

Power Windows used to be my least-favorite Rush album by far. It's still down towards the bottom, but I've always loved The Big Money, and I've come to love Manhattan Project. And Emotion Detector is a personal favorite.

I doubt I'll ever really like Mystic Rhythms and a couple of the other tracks, but the strong ones make the album good enough to rank second among this batch, at least for the moment.

You mean "The Manhattan Project"? :huh:

:P

• Like 1

You mean "The Manhattan Project"? :huh:

:P

Ha, good Rush Forum memories! :LOL:

Easy answer for me, Power Windows, favorite album, love it to death, only album period that I cannot skip a single track on. And it is in no way after the golden era of Rush. In my opinion it was their peak as musicians. One of my friends, who does not have Power Windows as his favorite (hold your fire is his) does not deny that it is their best. Edited by RushBoingo

I dunno how it shows them at the peak of their musical abilities, I can only really see expertise in the synth department! Please, give me details I may either disagree with you, or perhaps gain some insight on an album I am striving to enjoy!

I dunno how it shows them at the peak of their musical abilities, I can only really see expertise in the synth department! Please, give me details I may either disagree with you, or perhaps gain some insight on an album I am striving to enjoy!

The first step to understanding consists of listening to the Emotion Detector guitar solo.

• Like 1