GUP....a very dry sounding album vocally

jnoble

I'm not bashing it or saying it's bad. Afterimage is one of my favorite songs from that era and the guitar solo. While listening to the album yesterday it occurred to me that the vocals on it are pretty plain. Not Geddy's singing per se, the production of it. Every album before that had some double-tracking or mild echo or reverb or some sort of gussying up the singing. But GUP has almost none of that on every track. Very upfront with no effects. I wonder if that was deliberate or if they wouldve done it differently if they had a real producer working on it with them like Peter Collins or Terry Brown. Power Windows after it went totally the other way smothering his voice in reverb to the point where he sounds like he's singing from inside a trash can. Edited by jnoble

They were supposed to have Steve Lillywhite as producer. He backed out last minute. They hired Peter Henderson. He turned out to be more of an engineer than producer. Geddy ended up the de facto producer. The result is what you hear. I read this somewhere, I think Contents Under Pressure.
  • Like 1

Time does things to the albums you get when they are new. I remember Grace Under Pressure when it first came out and it sounded different compared to a lot of music released around the same time. The early 80s were saturated with far too much reverb , but then Rush dropped this arid beast on us. I remember my girlfriend at the time saying, with a memory of the band that was at best a couple of years old, that Rush had been fun, but now they were like prophets descending from the mountain with dire proclamations. I recall focusing on that dry sound most of all. So to make a long story long... Yeah it's a bit dry sounding.

I get this completely.

I still think its a hundred times the album Power Windows is. Marginally superior to Signals. The vocals are a big part of that!

For me, the change in sound began with Moving Pictures.

I get this completely.

I still think its a hundred times the album Power Windows is. Marginally superior to Signals. The vocals are a big part of that!

For me, the change in sound began with Moving Pictures.

>P/G better than PoW

>You're serious

wow gr8 b8 m8

Why do you think Rush hired the esteemed English pop producer Peter Collins for two albums? They weren't pleased with the sound of Signals, and Grace under pressure sounded so clinical it may as well have been recorded in pharmacy. P/G could never have been recorded and Rush's progression musically would have been unchanged. Signals to Power Windows just sounds more logical than what actually happened.

I've never liked the sound of the vocals on that album.... I've never been able to figure out exactly why. Maybe it is the dryness. It's almost too isolated from the backing track. I always thought that they didn't EQ his voice quite right, or something.

I guess I never really noticed it, or it just didn't bother me, because Grace Under Pressure is one of my favorite Rush albums. I've always thought it was much better than Signals. Signals just has too many songs that I don't really care for (New World Man, The Weapon, Countdown never really interested me). I love every song on Grace Under Pressure, (yes, that includes red lenses).

I completely agree that Grace Under Pressure is way better than Power Windows.

We agreed on something....... :scared: :dweez: :codger: Edited by Narpet

Gah!

I hate it when people call Grace Under Pressure "GUP"

It's P/g!

I hate all of the abbreviations and acronyms for the albums and songs. I prefer to just type out the whole name; it's not hard.

• Like 2

I disagree about Grace being better than Power Windows. I mean, they're both good and music is very subjective, but Power Windows is SO much bigger and brighter and richer and optimistic sounding both musically and lyrically than the uptight tense Grace album that came before. Night and day difference in multiple ways.

I don't mind reverb on vocals to spruce them up but there are some Rush albums that went overboard with it (Signals and Power Windows) and some that got it just right (Moving Pictures, HYF, Presto come to mind)

Edited by jnoble