Trainspotting

Dune

Fight Club

Doctor Zhivago

Groundhog Day

The Time Machine (1960)

10 are not enough... :cool:

too much Gilliam, not enough Herzog

You're right. I forgot to mention the best vampire movie ever.

this will be tough but here goes...

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Aliens

The Terminator

Bladerunner

2001: A Space Odyssey

Star Wars EP IV

Raiders Of The Lost Arc

Vanishing Point (1971)

The Abyss

Better Off Dead

1.) Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

2.) Rashomon

3.) Network

4.) The Truman Show

5.) LOTR Trilogy

6.) 2001: A Space Odyssey

7.) The Passion Of Joan Of Arc

8.) The Vanishing

9.) The 400 Blows

10.) Yojimbo/Sanjuro

Interesting selections except for the LOTR trilogy. I assume The Vanishing is the original. Like your A Trip To The Moon avatar.

Hard to say. This is what I'm thinking today:

- Shawshank Redemption

- Pulp Fiction

- A Clockwork Orange

- Full Metal Jacket

- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

- This is Spinal Tap

- Slumdog Millionaire

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

- Road to Perdition

- Vanilla Sky

:dweez:

Finally a list worthy of this forum! (no offense to earlier posters...well, maybe a little)

Borrowed from other posts: Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb, Blade Runner... And I'll add The Godfather, Thin Red Line, The Sting, and Cool Hand Luke

- Shawshank Redemption

- Pulp Fiction

- A Clockwork Orange

- Full Metal Jacket

- This is Spinal Tap

- Slumdog Millionaire

- Road to Perdition

- Vanilla Sky

Finally a list worthy of this forum! (no offense to earlier posters...well, maybe a little)

Yer so offensive I can't stand it. Actually this is a pretty solid list but in all honesty it's merely on the day with a measly ten. Impossible.

• Like 1

- Shawshank Redemption

- Pulp Fiction

- A Clockwork Orange

- Full Metal Jacket

- This is Spinal Tap

- Slumdog Millionaire

- Road to Perdition

- Vanilla Sky

Yer so offensive I can't stand it. Actually this is a pretty solid list but in all honesty it's merely on the day with a measly ten. Impossible.

:blaze: Cool.

I thought Storm Shadow's list was pretty good too. A few of those would likely be in my top 20. And DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood is unrivaled

- Shawshank Redemption

- Pulp Fiction

- A Clockwork Orange

- Full Metal Jacket

- This is Spinal Tap

- Slumdog Millionaire

- Road to Perdition

- Vanilla Sky

:blaze: Cool.

I thought Storm Shadow's list was pretty good too. A few of those would likely be in my top 20. And DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood is unrivaled

I thought I was on my own here with Vanilla Sky. Underrated Crowe effort.

• Like 1

Yeah a lot of people dislike that movie and (of course) Cruise. But screw 'em. It's an interesting movie with great visuals and a killer soundtrack. And as I said earlier, it's Cameron Diaz' best effort. Hell, has she ever been good otherwise?

lol, I doubt it.

Yeah a lot of people dislike that movie and (of course) Cruise. But screw 'em. It's an interesting movie with great visuals and a killer soundtrack. And as I said earlier, it's Cameron Diaz' best effort. Hell, has she ever been good otherwise?

Aw com`on I love Diaz . And Tom !

You gotta love Something About Mary .

I`m also a Vanilla Sky fan :cool:

That picture of Kate Bush is the spitting image of a girl I came very close to marrying

I don't like Ben Stiller. Something About Mary was ok but not as hilarious as everyone had told me. She was ok in it but still forgettable imho. Outside of Vanilla Sky, Diaz' best bit that I can think of is in Charlie's Angels where she's in her panties making the bed and goofily dancing about. Stupid scene but not too stupid since she's in her panties dancing about. :blaze:

As for Tom Cruise, everyone seems to hate him but I like a lot of his movies: Vanilla Sky, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Risky Business, Taps (though just a supporting actor [albeit an important part], he did well in this), etc.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I don't like Ben Stiller. Something About Mary was ok but not as hilarious as everyone had told me. She was ok in it but still forgettable imho. Outside of Vanilla Sky, Diaz' best bit that I can think of is in Charlie's Angels where she's in her panties making the bed and goofily dancing about. Stupid scene but not too stupid since she's in her panties dancing about. :blaze:

As for Tom Cruise, everyone seems to hate him but I like a lot of his movies: Vanilla Sky, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Risky Business, Taps (though just a supporting actor [albeit an important part], he did well in this), etc.

I like the Last Samurai as well...oh, and the first two thirds of that one with Jamie Fox...where cruise is the hit man. Great scene in the jazz club.

I like the Last Samurai as well...oh, and the first two thirds of that one with Jamie Fox...where cruise is the hit man. Great scene in the jazz club.

Never saw that

Never saw that

Collateral. Worth watching for Foxx's performance.

In no particular order:

Shawshank Redemption

Green Mile

The Fugitive(Harrison Ford)

Braveheart

Titanic

Planes, Trains, Automobiles

Halloween

What Lies Beneath

The Thing(Carpenter)

Fletch

Honorable Mention:

Stir Of Echoes

Mothman Prophecies

Apocalypto

Flight

Knowing

The Town

Gravity

Prisoners

What About Bob

Primal Fear

No Country Old Men

Sling Blade

Exorcist

Slumdog Millionaire

Gladiator

Signs

Breakdown

Shining

Office Space

Taken

Stand By Me

Fargo

I started watching movies about a year ago, so I haven't seen too many. And the list is only including films I've seen more than once.

10. Full Metal Jacket

9. Battle Royale

8. A Clockwork Orange

7. Pi (my most-watched movie)

6. Requiem for a Dream

5. Fight Club

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. Office Space

2. Shawshank Redemption

1. Trainspotting

honorable mentions (would have definitely made the list if I had seen them more than once):

The Shining

Eyes Wide Shut

Psycho

Eraserhead

Taxi Driver

• Like 1

Ok, I am going to redo my top ten list:

Schindlers List

House Of Flying Daggers

I, Robot

The Lord Of The Rings: Extended Versions

Laputa: Castle In The Sky

Barefoot Gen

Atonement

The Lion King

Brief Encounter

Gone With The Wind

Not in any particular order

** In The Heat of The Night

** Inherit The Wind

** Unforgiven

** 2001: A Space Odyssey

** Dr Strangelove: Or How I learned to love...

** Schinder's List

** Taxi Driver

** Modern Romance

** The Godfather

** Shakespeare in Love

The above list I deliberately included some more recent masterpieces and classics that have a universal appeal.

Although I believe the 60's-70's was time ever for filmmaking in America -- the Mavericks -- and could create a list of just films that came out between 1964 and 1979 (Dog Day Afternoon, Parallax View, All the Presidents Men, Clockwork Orange, Alien, The Exorcist, Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back) -- all masterpieces suited to my personal taste.

Edited by ThinkingBig
  • Like 1