How did he get away with it?????

tas7

You're probably right Tony. I'm at home with a bad bronchial infection and was bored. Surfing the channels and Midnight Blue came on. I thought, Rush are on the radio, which is very rare here in Australia.Only to realize it wasn't. Edited by tas7

Xanadu takes a bite off of the Journey song "Nickel and Dime" Listen at 1:04. The song was recorded before AFTK. Of course RUSH made the riff 1000% times better! I still think Neal Schon is still soar about the success of Xanadu since he actually mentioned it live the last time they played it about three tours ago.I think the show where Alex pulled of this elaborate caper was during the 2112 Tour on April 28th, 1976 in Flint Michigan at IMA auditorium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYSeyqaJmQ

Edited by losingit2k

The question is how did he get away with it, rhetorical it may be, but the answer is 98% of Journey fans don't listen to any of their albums before Infinity and 96% of prog fans ignore Journey on general principle altogether.

To my mind though there is only a passing similarity between the two songs and more importantly Xanadu is a Kubla Khan lifetime better than Nickel and Dime. End of.

• Like 2

That journey song just has the same two chords that are the intro/start to the verse in Xanadu. Hardly ripping anyone off, when journey just plays the same two chords over and over, while rush has a whole progression that comes after. Neal Schon is just a sour puss. They used "my two chords". Like he was the first one to use those two chords in that order.
  • Like 1

That journey song just has the same two chords that are the intro/start to the verse in Xanadu. Hardly ripping anyone off, when journey just plays the same two chords over and over, while rush has a whole progression that comes after. Neal Schon is just a sour puss. They used "my two chords". Like he was the first one to use those two chords in that order.

There's a whole thread on this boys. Leave this one to the Midnight blue rip.

• Like 1

I always liked the snare in "Midnight Blue" -- huge and woody and open.

That's what she said:)

It's about time someone hit that pinata of a post!

• Like 1

Xanadu takes a bite off of the Journey song "Nickel and Dime" Listen at 1:04. The song was recorded before AFTK. Of course RUSH made the riff 1000% times better! I still think Neal Schon is still soar about the success of Xanadu since he actually mentioned it live the last time they played it about three tours ago.I think the show where Alex pulled of this elaborate caper was during the 2112 Tour on April 28th, 1976 in Flint Michigan at IMA auditorium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYSeyqaJmQ

I always thought the latter half of Nickel and Dime sounded a lot like Tom Sawyer....

Clem

• Like 2

What about the middle section of The Big Money sounding like the middle section of Bryan Adams's 'Run to You' which came out before Power Windows?

Nah, I'd give you The Big Wheel sounding Bryan Adamish in parts.