Chain Lightning Guitar Solo?

Cygnus 2112

I just made a clip of this solo, forwards and backwards back-to-back. Who has a YouTube account to post it on? I'm having trouble logging onto mine. It's a WAV file and I'd email it.

Done!

http://youtu.be/w0V8L9-OKd0

Awesome job, thank you! :cheers:

Played forward, it's not a terribly interesting solo.

It sounds like several disjointed takes all stitched together.

• Like 2

I just made a clip of this solo, forwards and backwards back-to-back. Who has a YouTube account to post it on? I'm having trouble logging onto mine. It's a WAV file and I'd email it.

Done!

http://youtu.be/w0V8L9-OKd0

Awesome job, thank you! :cheers:

Played forward, it's not a terribly interesting solo.

It sounds like several disjointed takes all stitched together.

Absolutely made my night! I always thought that Alex recorded it and then reversed it for the track. I like both versions.

• Like 1

This is one of the weirdest solo's I've ever heard. Did Alex write a solo, record it, and then play it backwards for the song.

Almost. He played it forward and recorded it forward, and then it was reversed for the song.

That's insanely easy to do in digital recording, but does anyone know how they did those kinds of things in the analog days? Seems like they would have had to record the solo on a seperate unit and then used that unit's ouput (as it was played in reverse) for the input on the track in the main mix.

Record solo, then flip the tape so during playback the tape is being played backwards. :huh:

Could be. Seems like you'd have to record the solo on a seperate unit no matter what method is used. If you recorded on the same unit that the bed tracks were on, flipping the tape would reverse them, too.

You can do it on the same reel, you just need to start the solo at the end and literally record it backwards ( listening to playback in reverse )

So yep, recording a guitar solo backwards simply requires flipping the tape reel over, however, what is tricky is that tracks 1 and 2 ( for example ) become tracks 8 and 7 , assuming you are using an 8 track recorder ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Interesting aside.I dragged out my George Martin dvd doco last night and he explains that when he showed John Lennon how to do a backward guitar on a reel to reel Lennon wanted to do everything backwards.Ahh those were the times just like the Grateful Dead wanted the sound of heavy air.
  • Like 2

According to this 1990 Guitar World interview with Geddy Lee and Alex here, it says the following:

'Whether Alex will be able to reproduce the studio-enhanced backwards guitar parts on "Chain Lightning" remains to be seen.'

On a side note, when Eric Johnson performs a cover version of "Are You Experienced?" by Jimi Hendrix, he attempts with accuracy to play the backwards guitar solo live, which I've not seen any other guitarist pull off to that extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpkAIJcatU

Hendrix's former engineer and producer Eddie Kramer made the following comment on his Facebook page.

"Are You Experienced?" is a very interesting song as was the way it was constructed. Jimi and the lads played a basic track of drums, bass and guitar then we flipped the tape so that all of the music was backwards. We then overdubbed a regular forward rhythm guitar, lead guitar, a tack piano, drums, vocals. So in the final mix there was ONLY backwards bass, a mixture of backwards and forwards drums, backwards guitar solo and Jimi's voice normal along with the track piano. Plus of course loads of effects courtesy of yours truly!!"

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

Hendrix's former engineer and producer Eddie Kramer made the following comment on his Facebook page.

"Are You Experienced?" is a very interesting song as was the way it was constructed. Jimi and the lads played a basic track of drums, bass and guitar then we flipped the tape so that all of the music was backwards. We then overdubbed a regular forward rhythm guitar, lead guitar, a tack piano, drums, vocals. So in the final mix there was ONLY backwards bass, a mixture of backwards and forwards drums, backwards guitar solo and Jimi's voice normal along with the track piano. Plus of course loads of effects courtesy of yours truly!!"

^^^ Interesting explanation...wouldn't it mean the guitar solo is actually forward? Or am I missing something? :eh:

^^^ Interesting explanation...wouldn't it mean the guitar solo is actually forward? Or am I missing something? :eh:

Does that help?

• Like 1

Does that help?

HAHA...nope... I`m just being a bit pedantic....isn`t a lead guitar considered a solo? :P (obviously the solo is backwards...)

According to this 1990 Guitar World interview with Geddy Lee and Alex here, it says the following:

'Whether Alex will be able to reproduce the studio-enhanced backwards guitar parts on "Chain Lightning" remains to be seen.'

On a side note, when Eric Johnson performs a cover version of "Are You Experienced?" by Jimi Hendrix, he attempts with accuracy to play the backwards guitar solo live, which I've not seen any other guitarist pull off to that extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpkAIJcatU

Holy cow that was sick.

I think Styx might've done something similar with the solo for Just Get Through This Night (3:36 - 4:28)

(How do I make the video appear straight on my post?)

Edited by ST3V

I think Styx might've done something similar with the solo for Just Get Through This Night (3:36 - 4:28)

(How do I make the video appear straight on my post?)

Unfortunately, this board software is a little weird with some links. To embed a YouTube video here, once you paste the link into your post, simply remove the "s" from "https" and you're good to go.

http://youtu.be/MhKSXoTSkvk

• Like 1