Bottrill on the remix

Presto-digitation

If this is a duplicate posting, please forgive me. If not:

David Bottrill - Mainstation Music I can absolutely say that from the time I got involved a few months ago to remix Vapor Trails, there were no new recordings added. I was presented with he raw material as best as they could do. Paul Northfield and Rich Chycki were extremely helpful with this. When the record was made, you can appreciate that it was a stressful time for the band and data management was perhaps not the highest priority. Playing together and re discovering the joy of creation were far more important. The material had passed through many hands and formats since the original work was done and much work was needed to bring it all to a format that I could work with. Again, Paul and Rich were instrumental with this. I mixed what arrived to me and as they were touring during much of the mixing process, the band were not present during the mix.

When a record is made, often not everything that is recorded makes it into the final mix. As I purposely didn't listen to the originals much, I was unaware of which performances were used. I tried to select what I thought best represented the songs and which were the best performances. I apologize if I didn't include something you had grown to love or added something in that you are not used to. As far as I am aware, there were no new recordings done for this project once recording was concluded 11 years ago, but as I only got involved a few months ago, you would need to confirm that with the band or their management.

For all the fans who want to obsess about this, what difference does it make whether there were new recordings or not? Please just try to enjoy this new hopefully revitalized version of a great collection of Rush songs.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 8

I think because there was some talk about added new bits that were presumed to be recorded for the remix. Think George Lucas tinkering with Star Wars. I think he mainly is addressing the fact that all that you hear was recorded originally and either nixed or buried.
  • Like 1

(A repost of OP, for clarity)

I can absolutely say that from the time I got involved a few months ago to remix Vapor Trails, there were no new recordings added. I was presented with he raw material as best as they could do. Paul Northfield and Rich Chycki were extremely helpful with this. When the record was made, you can appreciate that it was a stressful time for the band and data management was perhaps not the highest priority. Playing together and re discovering the joy of creation were far more important. The material had passed through many hands and formats since the original work was done and much work was needed to bring it all to a format that I could work with. Again, Paul and Rich were instrumental with this. I mixed what arrived to me and as they were touring during much of the mixing process, the band were not present during the mix.

When a record is made, often not everything that is recorded makes it into the final mix. As I purposely didn't listen to the originals much, I was unaware of which performances were used. I tried to select what I thought best represented the songs and which were the best performances. I apologize if I didn't include something you had grown to love or added something in that you are not used to. As far as I am aware, there were no new recordings done for this project once recording was concluded 11 years ago, but as I only got involved a few months ago, you would need to confirm that with the band or their management.

For all the fans who want to obsess about this, what difference does it make whether there were new recordings or not? Please just try to enjoy this new hopefully revitalized version of a great collection of Rush songs.

• Like 2

As I purposely didn't listen to the originals much, I was unaware of which performances were used.

I find this particularly interesting. I'd think he'd have listened to the original before he started.

As I purposely didn't listen to the originals much, I was unaware of which performances were used.

I find this particularly interesting. I'd think he'd have listened to the original before he started.

I bolded the word MUCH because I think he means he gave the album a cursory listen or two just to get an idea but didn't really pay attention to particular details like those of us who have lived with the album for 11 years have.

So he doesn't know about say, the ride in SLD or the lack of solos. He just picked what he believed were the best performances like he said.

• Like 1

he did an awesome job for not being that familiar with the original. I personally wish he would have listened to it a little closer as there are parts missing that don't need to be.

I bolded the word MUCH because I think he means he gave the album a cursory listen or two just to get an idea but didn't really pay attention to particular details like those of us who have lived with the album for 11 years have.

So he doesn't know about say, the ride in SLD or the lack of solos. He just picked what he believed were the best performances like he said.

Wow... Honestly don't know what to think after reading this... So he just took all the tracks and remade his own album, with no regards to what was used in the first place.... So it's not really Vapor Trails we're getting, just a bunch of stuff that might never have been used by Rush, but are now predominant in the mix because HE thought it was cool??? No so excited about getting the CD anymore.... Excellent sound or not..... ;)

• Like 2

Wow... Honestly don't know what to think after reading this... So he just took all the tracks and remade his own album, with no regards to what was used in the first place.... So it's not really Vapor Trails we're getting, just a bunch of stuff that might never have been used by Rush, but are now predominant in the mix because HE thought it was cool??? No so excited about getting the CD anymore.... Excellent sound or not..... ;)

So what this says to me is that this is a pure Remix. A remix unfettered by preconceived ideas. This is Vapor Trails Reborn. And it's beautiful, baby ;)

• Like 6

So what this says to me is that this is a pure Remix. A remix unfettered by preconceived ideas. This is Vapor Trails Reborn. And it's beautiful, baby ;)

Exactly!

And they were very smart/careful when they named it 'Vapor Trails Remixed' - not Remastered.

And it probably explains why they choose to update the cover art.

• Like 3

Jeez....if he wouldn't have added or subtracted anything there would still be people bitching that it's not a remix. I think he subtracted what needed to be subtracted. The few things he added are so minor it still has the feel of the original VT to me but sounds 10 times better. I didn't even think it was possible to sound this good without re-recording the whole thing.
  • Like 5

I am so overwhelmingly pleased with the remix, that I have NOTHING to complain about. I hated Vapor Trails. Never listened to it. Vapor Trails is...now...a great album, with powerful, melodic, beautiful songs. What David Bottrill has done I would've previously considered impossible. I thought he'd make it bearable. He's made it awesome.
  • Like 2

I am so overwhelmingly pleased with the remix, that I have NOTHING to complain about. I hated Vapor Trails. Never listened to it. Vapor Trails is...now...a great album, with powerful, melodic, beautiful songs. What David Bottrill has done I would've previously considered impossible. I thought he'd make it bearable. He's made it awesome.

My thoughts exactly. I do believe this record might be their best since HYF or at least Counterparts

• Like 1

I have only listened to it twice, but i think if this version was the one released in 2002 then we would all be bitching about how bad Snakes and Arrows sounds in comparison. I have issues with it because the new mix does not improve on a few songs. Mr. Bottrill did a fine job given what he had to work with. We have two unique versions of a seminal album in the career of Rush. You aren't likely to get that from many other bands. I know it is pointless to ask the fans not to argue too much about it, but we have the two versions and both versions offer us some amazing Rush music to discuss.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info, Presto-digitation! What is the source of that interview?

It almost looks like an answer to an email from some fan.

Yeah i know the band communicated with bottrill during mixing process but bearing in mind he took liberties with tunes actually changing them im surprised rush themselves didnt take the rare opportunity to get more hands-on and even add brand new segments etc that woulda been really interesting.

I mean i know the band like to leave things as they are without going back and revising but this seems to have been ideal opportunity to go back and play with one of their albums.

Of course neils feelings may have come into it so plus ca change. I think its a little bit of a shame though, we got something sonically better and well worth a listen but could have been another truly groundbreaking moment in bands history.

Yeah i know the band communicated with bottrill during mixing process but bearing in mind he took liberties with tunes actually changing them im surprised rush themselves didnt take the rare opportunity to get more hands-on and even add brand new segments etc that woulda been really interesting.

I mean i know the band like to leave things as they are without going back and revising but this seems to have been ideal opportunity to go back and play with one of their albums.

Of course neils feelings may have come into it so plus ca change. I think its a little bit of a shame though, we got something sonically better and well worth a listen but could have been another truly groundbreaking moment in bands history.

I think George Lucas taught everyone on Earth a valuable lesson about trying to "improve" ones old art.

• Like 5

I think they were smart not to try to go back and re-record anything, but I dearly hope that they will play some of the previously unplayed songs from the album on the next tour.
  • Like 1