Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

One of my friends is a manager at a local Best Buy. The store received a shipment last night with next Tuesday's releases. He called me on the phone around 2000 hours and advised he would drop off a copy of the new remix of "Vapor Trails" at my house. I listened to this CD a couple of times before I hit the sack. I woke up this morning and gave it another whirl. Honestly, it is not worth all of the hype. It is better than the original pile of horse dung but this is not really saying a whole lot. Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade.....

One of my friends is a manager at a local Best Buy. The store received a shipment last night with next Tuesday's releases. He called me on the phone around 2000 hours and advised he would drop off a copy of the new remix of "Vapor Trails" at my house. I listened to this CD a couple of times before I hit the sack. I woke up this morning and gave it another whirl. Honestly, it is not worth all of the hype. It is better than the original pile of horse dung but this is not really saying a whole lot. Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade.....

Not saying I don't believe you, but are managers really supposed to give copies to people days before the release date? Seems irresponsible to me. Regardless...I don't think you're raining on anybody's parade. 99% disagree with you anyway.

No rain. I don't know how anyone could listen to this and not hear a whole new album. There is a logarithmic level of difference.

Not saying I don't believe you, but are managers really supposed to give copies to people days before the release date? Seems irresponsible to me. Regardless...I don't think you're raining on anybody's parade. 99% disagree with you anyway.

Managers do it all the time. I know someone who managed a GameStop and they gave their friends video games a week or two before release. Manager says it happens quite frequently. Even with other companies involved with media.

I'm listening to the remix. Not bad, but I do NOT like the guitar solo on Ceiling Unlimited overshadowing what I think is one of Neil's best moments

To those who are unhappy with the REMIX due to the changes in the mix you should look at either the HDTracks.com version of the original or the 'Mastered for iTunes' version depending on your needs.

Both get very decent reviews and are the original mix, just a new/better mastering job.

• Like 1

If you were never a fan of the songs themselves, the remix *probably* won't change your stance (though my opinion of a couple "duffer" songs has gone up). You can just go on not liking it, it's cool. I despise Roll The Bones and I don't think any remixing or remastering could change my opinion of it. ;)

If you like the old mix, yeah definitely go ahead with the HD Tracks or mastered-for-iTunes version. Everybody wins.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that David Bottrill was originally intended to be the producer of Vapor Trails before the band decided that an "outsider" being involved might be too much for Neil at the time. This VT remix could be considered a glimpse of what could have been 11 years ago.

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 1

I don't understand why there was an added guitar to Ceiling Unlimited. The sound has improved but that is where it should have stopped. the fadeout of Out of the Cradle also disappoints me. They didn't need to change the record, just clean it up.

its somebody elses interpretation of the album.

That it is. Mixing is very much an editorial process. I personally like the decisions Botrill for the most part. The album was in desperate need of someone who wasn't afraid to say, "it's OK to bury certain parts". I think Rush albums from the last 20 or so years have been in need of the kind clarity that VT received. I'd like to see what Botrill could do with CP, TFE, S&A, and CA as well.

That it is. Mixing is very much an editorial process. I personally like the decisions Botrill for the most part. The album was in desperate need of someone who wasn't afraid to say, "it's OK to bury certain parts". I think Rush albums from the last 20 or so years have been in need of the kind clarity that VT received. I'd like to see what Botrill could do with CP, TFE, S&A, and CA as well.

You almost had it right but CP is Perfect as it is. One of the best sounding Rush records and drum sounds.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked with the remixes. A couple of the changes bother me. There's a guitar part during the jam in Secret Touch that is completely missing now. I'm divided on the solo in CU. And Out Of The Cradle, which was always my favorite on VT, seems to have lost a little something.

Otherwise, 3 thumbs up!

Overall, I'm pretty stoked with the remixes. A couple of the changes bother me. There's a guitar part during the jam in Secret Touch that is completely missing now. I'm divided on the solo in CU. And Out Of The Cradle, which was always my favorite on VT, seems to have lost a little something.

Otherwise, 3 thumbs up!

Wow...Out Of The Cradle has always been my least fav by far. It was always that and How It Is. I always thought that it sounded like they came from a different recording project. Almost like they didn't belong on the record. They have grown on me a little but still my least favs.

Otherwise, 3 thumbs up!

Wow...Out Of The Cradle has always been my least fav by far. It was always that and How It Is. I always thought that it sounded like they came from a different recording project. Almost like they didn't belong on the record. They have grown on me a little but still my least favs.

I know, Out Of The Cradle has never been a fan favorite but I've always loved that song.

I even started a thread about it years ago http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/23587-out-of-the-cradle/page__hl__cradle#entry832809

Edited by Rushman14

The officer is incapable of mendacity.

Otherwise, 3 thumbs up!

I know, Out Of The Cradle has never been a fan favorite but I've always loved that song.

I even started a thread about it years ago http://www.therushfo...dle#entry832809

haha regarding VT, on march 14th 2008 I wrote this "yes I still pray they remix or remaster it for the love of GOD!!

It only took 5 and half years, but thank you Lord :)

The officer is incapable of mendacity.

PumpkinLoaf is full of shite. :rfl:

You almost had it right but CP is Perfect as it is. One of the best sounding Rush records and drum sounds.

I think it's a bit muddy sounding...not as bad as those that came after, but still...

I think it's a bit muddy sounding...not as bad as those that came after, but still...

I wouldn't complain if they re-mixed Presto, RTB and CA.

• Like 2