Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

In the "Oh salvation" bridge in Sweet Miracle, I am hearing something in the background that I never noticed before -- single notes that almost sound like keyboards in between each time Geddy sings "oh salvation." Anyone else hearing this? Anyone ever notice it before? I never noticed it before. Neat. More generally, hats off to David Bottrill. Edited by AlanP

Holy shit, Ceiling Unlimited has a guitar solo! :o Wha.. what happened to the jam section! Wow, interesting.

HATE IT. Why'd they add that stupid little guitar solo there? That power chord section was my favorite part of the song, and now it's buried behind a solo that wasn't there before and didn't need to be added in! Don't change the songs, just make them sound better!

The song sounds good now apart from that.

Ive listened through it 4 times now, I like it. Some of the jam session is cut out, but id rather have half the jam session sound good with a solo than a fuzzy full jam session

None of the jam was cut out, but they added the guitar solo on top on part of it. They could have just left that solo out like they did 11 years ago.

That's more apparent now, none of the jam was cut out. There's just this guitar solo sitting on it.

This will take many listens. And on real equipment. I'm listening on little Logitechs at work and I don't dare crank it.

To me, the two biggest improvements are on Ceiling Unlimited (which I always liked) and One Little Victory (which I thought was just ok). I never thought that the "jam" session involved much jamming nor brought much to the table, and the guitar solo adds so much more emotion and depth that really serves the song. The sound improvement in OLV is pronounced enough, even on my laptop speakers, that I can actually enjoy the song.

Ghost Rider is the only song that I currently think took a step back. The loneliness of the beginning of the song is undermined by the added drums and vocals (he's supposed to be alone as a Ghost Rider!) and I'm not crazy about the extra echoes at the end of the song either. I can appreciate the sonic improvement, but I don't think the other changes serve the song.

But who knows how I'll feel when I can fire up CD quality version on my home theater system. I'm very excited to do it, though!

These remixes of OLV and Earthshine are different than the Retrospective ones, correct? I'm 90% sure they are, but I just want to confirm.

If so, it's cool to have three versions of those tunes!

Yes...very different.

I'm just pissed that my record dealer won't have it in stock before October 18th. He sais it's been postponed. I'm thinking about getting it somewhere else.

Can't wait!!!

Germany got Denmark's allotment and has to reorder. :doh:

You've always got RS, and if you need a copy maybe greyfriar can mail you a copy to hold you over, since he's flashing his copy :P

I'll stop commenting until I can hear this thing properly. I'll close by saying I'M STOKED! Except for my CU and ST quibbles, everything else I'm hearing has be excited. Keep hearing new things. Bootiful!!! :hail: :rush:

I'm just pissed that my record dealer won't have it in stock before October 18th. He sais it's been postponed. I'm thinking about getting it somewhere else.

Can't wait!!!

Maybe, someone from Germany will post a link to dl it :drool:

I was hoping to get it on vinyl, because I would hate to buy it on cd or download it. Postponing the release of a Rush album is not taken lightly!!!

Very happy with what I've heard so far, although it is ironic that the one little jam I was most looking forward to hearing cleaned up has been covered by a guitar solo. That sure came out of left field. I guess it gives me a reason to hold onto the original version.

Can't wait to crank this while driving in my car. The old VT is such a sonic mess at high volume.

Can't wait!!!

Maybe, someone from Germany will post a link to dl it :drool:

I was hoping to get it on vinyl, because I would hate to buy it on cd or download it. Postponing the release of a Rush album is not taken lightly!!!

I don't see it Leaked anywhere on the net. Grey is truly a lucky man :rush:

In the "Oh salvation" bridge in Sweet Miracle, I am hearing something in the background that I never noticed before -- single notes that almost sound like keyboards in between each time Geddy sings "oh salvation." Anyone else hearing this? Anyone ever notice it before? I never noticed it before. Neat. More generally, hats off to David Bottrill.

Yep, heard that. Sounds almost orchestral. Never heard it before. :ebert:

I posted this on another board yesterday -- Was lucky enough to get a physical cd yesterday:

"I picked up the album a couple hours ago -- 5 songs in. I was a little unprepared for how drastic it would be. The album still has balls - but the layers and separation are now so distinct. If you didn't enjoy the layers/overdubs before - this may not be for you.

I loved VT already and wasn't expecting my attitude to change much -- but this really takes it to another level."

I have been through the album a couple times now - didn't like a few bits but for the most part really enjoyed. Still picking up new bits. Definitely a new view of VT. Will be replaying for a while. Money well spent!

I always liked the record a lot but it sounds as if now that VT might jump a few spots in my Rush album rankings. Anybody notice an extra guitar solo towards the end of OLV too? I don't remember hearing that. The drums are mixed A LOT warmer on this version. First thing I noticed. The snare loses a little pop and the toms a little power but it's worth it to smooth things out overall. Sounds like this is an improvement over the HD tracks version which I was already happy with.