"Be prepared" - are you prepared?

Tom Sawyer

I don't like being surprised. I don't like being unprepared. And while you really can't prepare for everything, and obsession doesn't really help, it would just make one crazy (probably). I feel being "reasonably" prepared is ok.

Small portable generator, a couple gallons of gas, spare water, food, propane cooking equipment (camping stuff) some canned stuff, to last a week maybe.

But also being prepared for other things, death of a loved one, for example. Just being aware and respectful of what "can" happen... without being worried or stressed about stuff.

You like being surprised? Or do you prefer to be "ready" for what may come your way?

I don't like being surprised by anything and I have always tried to be prepared, but it has been my experience that things happen when you least expect them to and never in the way you expected them to happen.

Also, I have found that what I have spent the most time obsessing about or over was always the biggest waste of time.

Always as prepared as possible. Obsessive? Yes, that's me.

Other people at work don't always appreciate it, but I don't care. Mess-ups are few when I'm on the beat.

OMG. YOU SOUND LIKE MY HUSBAND.

Obsessive? oh, GOD, yes he is. drives me bonkers most days. lol

Remember the Y2K scare? Many people thought computers would go haywire on Jan. 1, 2000 and throw the world into chaos. People stocked up on food, water, gas, etc.

I'm not prepared for anything. I'd be lucky to find a candle in the house if the power went out.

• Like 1

^^ even at ten years old, I thought the Y2K thing sounded absolutely ridiculous lol.

I never gave it a second thought, but my parents fell for all of the hype surrounding Y2K. They bought a generator, kerosene heaters, and enough non-perishable food to open a small grocery store. I was living in Arizona at the time (a couple thousand miles away), and they called me shortly after midnight to ask if I was alright and if anything unusual had happened.

:LOL:

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  • Like 1

Remember the Y2K scare? Many people thought computers would go haywire on Jan. 1, 2000 and throw the world into chaos. People stocked up on food, water, gas, etc.

I'm not prepared for anything. I'd be lucky to find a candle in the house if the power went out.

Y2K or not, it's a good thing to be prepared. People who prepared for Y2K were then prepared for other calamites like hurricanes, blizzards, power outages or anything else that can and does happen. Ask yourself what would happen if there was a reason to have basic necessities at your home over an extended period of time and the stores were cleaned out.

• Like 1

Y2K or not, it's a good thing to be prepared. People who prepared for Y2K were then prepared for other calamites like hurricanes, blizzards, power outages or anything else that can and does happen. Ask yourself what would happen if there was a reason to have basic necessities at your home over an extended period of time and the stores were cleaned out.

Lots of Rush.

Don't forget that 6/6/6 scare. Only tragedy that day was a terrible remake of a 1976 horror classic being released in theaters.

Small portable generator, a couple gallons of gas

Not sure I would recommend a generator in a blanket fashion. The risk/reward, price/benefit ratios are pretty weak. On the news this morning was a family of 4 dead because they ran one in their garage. While I'm sure that sounds absurd to you, I doubt most people would realize how dumb that is.

Even in the best case, it's going to run non-essential things like lights. If things are super bad, you can't get gas refills anyway. if it's just a few days of no power, you can live without lights and TV.

If you're going to buy one, there are probably millions sitting in sheds and garages that have never been out of the box. No need to buy a new one.

I don't like being too prepared. I don't even like an itinerary on vacation. Go with the flow is for me. It's probably because I have to extremely prepared, planned, and focused at work so I like it loose when I'm off.

That was based on legitimate concerns. Many companies spent a great deal of time and money looking at and fixing software. There was a great deal of awareness of the potential problems. It's impossible to know what might have happened if the problem had been ignored.

There were some people in the computer industry who thought there was going to be a meltdown. I worked with one.

Emergency workarounds to problems are common, so I felt that even companies who may have ignored the potential problems would be able to get back to speed quickly. There really is some awful and fragile software out there running some important things.

That was based on legitimate concerns. Many companies spent a great deal of time and money looking at and fixing software. There was a great deal of awareness of the potential problems. It's impossible to know what might have happened if the problem had been ignored.

There were some people in the computer industry who thought there was going to be a meltdown. I worked with one.

Emergency workarounds to problems are common, so I felt that even companies who may have ignored the potential problems would be able to get back to speed quickly. There really is some awful and fragile software out there running some important things.

My company had non-critical issues for about a week after the switch. Mostly dealing with processing credit cards.

^^ even at ten years old, I thought the Y2K thing sounded absolutely ridiculous lol.

I was Kid so I was very scared!! lol and we got our 1st computer ever the year before. It was an old Macintosh.. So, I thought it was gonna blow up or something. lol Being a kid. ahh. Edited by Victoria's Ladder

I know someone who went bankrupt after buying into the Y2K scare wholesale. He bought thousands of dollars' worth of food, which subsequently got eaten by rats in a friend's basement. Double-mortgaged the house in order to buy more emergency gear. . . .funny thing is, the guy is generally otherwise not a dumbass. But he thrives on this sort of thing in an odd way.

I know someone who went bankrupt after buying into the Y2K scare wholesale. He bought thousands of dollars' worth of food, which subsequently got eaten by rats in a friend's basement. Double-mortgaged the house in order to buy more emergency gear. . . .funny thing is, the guy is generally otherwise not a dumbass. But he thrives on this sort of thing in an odd way.

Like the people who bought into Harold Camping's Rapture of 2011, and, ironically, sold everything everything they had to prepare for the End Times. Some people just have a weakness for end-o-world BS...... :oops: