All the World's a Stage anniversary thread

Blue J

Also released in September, don'tcha know...

I remember the first time hearing this, as a teenager...right about the same time that A Show of Hands came out- quite a contrast. Love it, love it, love it.

Probably my favorite live album. Extended, energetic, raw and powerful. It's basically the opposite of ESL. ESL may have better songs, but this is a much better concert experience.
  • Like 3

Probably my favorite live album. Extended, energetic, raw and powerful. It's basically the opposite of ESL. ESL may have better songs, but this is a much better concert experience.

Geddy just talked about both in the new RS interview:

"(ATWAS) was totally raw and totally live and it really bugged us for years that we didn't fix anything. And then with the second one, we fixed way too many things and it sounds a bit sterile in retrospect. And then you learn what to mess with and what not to mess with. You want to present the best possible show for people, but you don't want to get so nit-picky about it that you lose what's interesting about a live performance."

• Like 1

Basically this was the album that introduced me to Rush! A friend who was notorious for playing a snippet of a tune, going "wow...check this out!" (then putting on something else before the second chorus of a song) goes to me "You're a drummer, right? You're going to love this guy! " Then dropped the needle on Working Man and actually let it play to the end! I was hooked, and went home and grabbed my "Columbia House" catalog and had my mom order it (and Caress of Steel) for me!

What was the official release date of ATWAS? I think I heard it about a month after it was released...

Two words: Bytor. Snowdog.

Their performance of this on ATWAS is some of the best Rush ever recorded. During the middle section, Alex's volume swells and delay puts Jimmy Page and his violin bow to shame.

And those chords afterwards with the screeching pick scrapes... has Alex's guitar ever sounded more commanding and powerful than this?

Not to mention Ged's voice both being very strong, and nailing it at the same time, at the start and finish...

:rush:

Edited by dakota2112
  • Like 2

Atwas was my first real exposure to Rush and helped me get thru a pretty hopeless period in my life. This was a band that connected with me on so many different levels that others couldn't.

In a lot of ways Atwas is perfect...the atmospheric feel, the power, the rawness, the level of musicianship, and the aura of optimism. Imo, it was really a celebration of a coming of age for Rush, who, at this juncture, were undoubtedly destined for greatness. I still get emotional listening to this recording nearly 35 years later.

Basically this was the album that introduced me to Rush! A friend who was notorious for playing a snippet of a tune, going "wow...check this out!" (then putting on something else before the second chorus of a song) goes to me "You're a drummer, right? You're going to love this guy! " Then dropped the needle on Working Man and actually let it play to the end! I was hooked, and went home and grabbed my "Columbia House" catalog and had my mom order it (and Caress of Steel) for me!

What was the official release date of ATWAS? I think I heard it about a month after it was released...

September 29th 1976

Easily my favorite of their live albums. It was the only live album available at the time I got into Rush and played the hell out of it.

I wore it out. That drum solo... :drool:

I should just quote every post you make and reply with "agreed" because I find myself agreeing with all of your posts! :notworthy:

• Like 1

First album I've heard from Rush and Bastille Day immediately blew my mind. A really great document in the history of rock music.

I was just at a record fair today and I got a copy of ATWAS imported from Canada! Its pretty old, but still in good condition....and it kinda smells like pot but hey I'm excited. And the best part? They were closing up so he gave it to me for 10 bucks! :dweez:
  • Like 1

when it comes to ATWAS i owe a baseball buddy and friend growing up some love. When i was 16 and really not into rock music he helped me out. I had heard RUSH for the first time in another friends car. he had COS playing on the way home from a game one night on the 8 track. I really liked what i heard. It got me curious so i asked him to go to the record store with me and recommend 2 albums for me to purchase to get me started. How about these 2 choices! ATWAS and Sad Wings of Destiny. The guy was a genius. ATWAS is still my favorite album 37 years later and i am pretty sure for most folks you can't go wrong with Sad Wings to this day. Much love Joe H if you are still out there somewhere! You created a RUSH monster for life.

when it comes to ATWAS i owe a baseball buddy and friend growing up some love. When i was 16 and really not into rock music he helped me out. I had heard RUSH for the first time in another friends car. he had COS playing on the way home from a game one night on the 8 track. I really liked what i heard. It got me curious so i asked him to go to the record store with me and recommend 2 albums for me to purchase to get me started. How about these 2 choices! ATWAS and Sad Wings of Destiny. The guy was a genius. ATWAS is still my favorite album 37 years later and i am pretty sure for most folks you can't go wrong with Sad Wings to this day. Much love Joe H if you are still out there somewhere! You created a RUSH monster for life.

wow, your friend knew his shit.

• Like 1

He sure did. I remember that trip to the record store like it was yesterday. He said get this album and this album. The rest is history for me. Loved JP too until the early 80"s. Many great bands lost me in the 80's somehow.