Are there any Rush fans who like The Monkees?

Tom Sawyer

Okay, look when I was a kid I liked The Monkees, along with a ton of other bubble-gum sh*t.

I turned a big corner with The Moody Blues, then tinkered with The Beatles before getting my big breakout with Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon.

In the 80's when The Monkees were making a comeback with MTV playing episodes a co-worker brought them up in conversation, I snickered... "really, The Monkees"? And he said they're good. Okay, whatever.

I can listen to a few of their biggest hits, occasionally, but it's still BGS in my book.

Anyone else give them a half of a star.. or even a one star?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 2

Yes. When they had their show, I hated them, but I always liked their songs. Those were the days before FM. One of my favorites is still Pleasant Valley Sunday. Anyway, one day in 1967 or 1968, my friend (who was absolutely crazy about them and bought each and every fan magazine that even hinted there was something about them in it) gave me one of their albums to listen to. I really liked it.

But that didn't last long. One day I was listening to the radio, and this song came on with these guys singing about a man named Timothy Leary. I was mesmerized by them. The rest is history. :wub:

My girlfriend said she was leaving me due to my obsession with The Monkees. At first I thought she was joking, Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer!

There's not a trace of doubt in my mind.

that your in love.

Bet you couldn't leave her if you tried. :-)

Edited by driventotheedge

Yes. When they had their show, I hated them, but I always liked their songs. Those were the days before FM. One of my favorites is still Pleasant Valley Sunday. Anyway, one day in 1967 or 1968, my friend (who was absolutely crazy about them and bought each and every fan magazine that even hinted there was something about them in it) gave me one of their albums to listen to. I really liked it.

But that didn't last long. One day I was listening to the radio, and this song came on with these guys singing about a man named Timothy Leary. I was mesmerized by them. The rest is history. :wub:

Legend of a Mind? Yeah baby! And by saying the rest is history, does that mean you turned on, tuned in and dropped out? :smoke:

• Like 1

Legend of a Mind? Yeah baby! And by saying the rest is history, does that mean you turned on, tuned in and dropped out? :smoke:

;)

• Like 1

I wasn't alive during their original run in the 60s but was a kid when they made their comeback in the mid 80s. I was a pretty big fan back then and I actually saw them on their comeback tour. My mom and dad took my brother and I to see them. I think I was only 8 or 9 when I saw the show but I remember it being an enjoyable performance. After their comeback faded away I didn't listen to them again until Davey Jones passed away. There are a number of songs they recorded that have stood the test of time well. Mainly, the ones driventotheedge mentioned in his post. I don't regularly listen to the band though and wouldn't be surprised if I went many years without hearing anything from them again.

I enjoy them now, but loved them as a kid. I had one of their greatest hits albums as a kid and could play their theme and I'm a believer on repeat for hours back then. I had Shrek to thank for that.

Does anyone here know if they wrote their own music/lyrics or if they sang songs someone else wrote for them?

I can't speak for all of their songs, but I know that Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer. He was going to sing it, but changed his mind thinking it would be better suited for them.

Both, actually. They wrote more on later albums though. Most of their hits were written for them by pro songwriters though. It's funny, all the things that they were criticized for are common pratice these days.