Create Your Perfect Rush Album - part 3: The Farewell To Synths Era

sitboaf

We're obviously bored on the forum lately. It's time for the long-dreaded continuation of making era-based albums.

The thread for Part 1: The Kimono Years is here. And Part Two: The Synth Years is here.

For part three, we'll focus on the '90s, or post-synth albums. Whatever you'd like to call it. In fact, go ahead and title your album, too.

We'll be pulling selections from Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo.

The rules:

1. Title your album. We need a good name for this era.

2. Choose eleven songs (because 3 of the 4 albums in this era had 11 songs)

3. Choose at least 2 from each album. That leaves 3 wildcards.

4. Include at least one of the three instrumentals (Where's My Thing?, Leave That Thing Alone, Limbo).

5. No time restrictions! Even the eleven longest songs would fit on one CD, and we are in the CD era.

Go!

A Farewell To Synths

1. Dreamline - rtb

2. Test For Echo - tfe

3. Cut To The Chase - cp

4. The Pass - p

5. Ghost of a Chance - rtb

6. Leave That Thing Alone - cp

7. Animate - cp

8. Driven - tfe

9. Chain Lightning - p

10. Nobody's Hero - cp

11. Available Light - p

Start with the best song of the whole era, get a couple of the more "thoughtful" songs some play (sorry, Resist), separate the first half from the second with a great instrumental, then grab EASILY the best album closer of the 4 in Available Light.

Not exactly my eleven favorite songs, but I think it works.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

Bunnies, Bones, Bolts, and Bedrock. 1. Test For Echo 2. Cold Fire 3. Presto 4. Everyday Glory 5. Where's My Thing 6. Show Don't Tell 7. Virtuality 8. Leave That thing alone 9. Superconductor 10. Resist 11. Dreamline
  • Like 1

Title: I Really Didn't Want to Include Two Songs from Roll the Bones; Show Don't Tell Should Be on Here Instead of One of Those

Animate

Leave That Thing Alone

The Color of Right

Carve Away the Stone

The Pass

Driven

Alien Shore

You Bet Your Life

Roll the Bones

Cold Fire

Available Light

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

Quickly, Test the Bone My Love!

1. Show Don't Tell

2. Dreamline

3. Driven

4. Stick it Out

5. Presto

6. Bravado

7. Leave that thing Alone

8. Test For Echo

9. Cut to the Chase

10. Ghost of a Chance

11. Available Light

:drool:

Silver, Blue, and Frozen Silence (all tracks mixed and mastered to Counterparts-style sound)

1. Animate

2. Test for Echo

3. Dreamline

4. Chain Lightning

5. Cut to the Chase

6. Totem

7. Presto

8. Ghost of a Chance

9. Leave That Thing Alone

10. Red Tide

11. Available Light

Bonus tracks to include on remastered reissue:

The Pass

Bravado

Cold Fire

Driven

Between Sun & Moon

Edited by savagegrace26

"Hey Alex, Where's My Synth?!?"

1. Animate

2. Dreamline

3. Test for Echo

4. The Pass

5. Where's My Thing? (Live version from the RTB Tour)

6. Leave That Thing Alone!

7. Totem

8. Presto

9. Ghost of a Chance

10. Everyday Glory

11. Available Light

Album Title: Back to Basics

Dreamline

Presto

The Pass

Where's My Thing?

Animate

Leave That Thing Aline

Nobody's Hero

Test For Echo

Driven

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone (Don't kill me!)

Dreamland

1. Dreamline

2. Roll the Bones

3. The Pass

4. Bravado

5. Nobodies Hero

6. Stick it Out

7. Chain Lightning

8. Test for Echo

9. Driven

10. Animate

11. Where's My Thing? (followed by 15 minutes of silence with the inclusion of "Leave That Thing Alone" as a bonus track)

Edited by Cygnus Xanadu-1
  • Like 1

Title "Color and Light"

1. Animate

2. Bravado

3. Presto

4. The color of right

5. Leave that thing alone

6. War Paint

7. Totem

8. Double Agent

9. Chain Lightning

10. Dreamline

11. Available Light

I know a lot of people have available light as the last song, and I have to agree.

Weird. I like three of these four albums, but none of these tracklists strikes me as listenable.

I understand. i think it's a real challenge to create a good "album" even when given a lot of good songs to put on it.

I have some albums with barely 3 good songs on them that sustain me for the whole 40 minutes, and other albums with 7 or 8 good songs that are hard to listen to.

I'm extra curious as to what you would create in this exercise.

• Like 1

Weird. I like three of these four albums, but none of these tracklists strikes me as listenable.

I understand. i think it's a real challenge to create a good "album" even when given a lot of good songs to put on it.

I have some albums with barely 3 good songs on them that sustain me for the whole 40 minutes, and other albums with 7 or 8 good songs that are hard to listen to.

Well put. Going through this thread, it really strikes me how connected RUSH songs are by album. They really are complimentary in terms of sound and theme. Their more recent albums seem to work well as collections, but few tracks stand out when put together in a list like this.

OK, We'll call the album Time and Motion. Side 1 track 1: Time and Motion track 2: Red Tide track 3: Face Up track 4: Bravado track 5: Animate Side 2 track 1: Scars track 2: Cold Fire track 3: Test for Echo track 4: Between Sun and moon track 5: Ghost of a Chance track 6: Where's My Thing?

So here's mine, entitled...

Press The Bone Parts For Echo

1. Dreamline

2. Animate

3. Presto

4. Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster of Boats Trilogy")

5. The Pass

6. Bravado

7. Driven

8. Scars

9. Resist

10. Leave That Thing Alone

11. Available Light

Interesting that out of the 4 albums, my favourite is definitely Counterparts and yet only 2 songs from it appear on this list as oppose to the 4 songs from Presto. That just goes to show how Counterparts really uses the consistency card to its full advantage - it's an album with lots of very good songs but nothing really outstanding imo. Presto however has imo 4 great songs (better than the highest points in Counterparts I think) but also some pretty bad ones by Rush's standard (though the production doesn't help things either), making it quite an inconsistent album. Two very different albums with very different strengths though for me overall, Counterparts is still superior.

Edited by Drummerrobin

So here's mine, entitled...

Press The Bone Parts For Echo

1. Dreamline

2. Animate

3. Presto

4. Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster of Boats Trilogy")

5. The Pass

6. Bravado

7. Driven

8. Scars

9. Resist

10. Leave That Thing Alone

11. Available Light

Interesting that out of the 4 albums, my favourite is definitely Counterparts and yet only 2 songs from it appear on this list as oppose to the 4 songs from Presto. That just goes to show how Counterparts really uses the consistency card to its full advantage - it's an album with lots of very good songs but nothing really outstanding imo. Presto however has imo 4 great songs (better than the highest points in Counterparts I think) but also some pretty bad ones by Rush's standard (though the production doesn't help things either), making it quite an inconsistent album. Two very different albums with very different strengths though for me overall, Counterparts is still superior.

This exercise does point out some interesting things. Agreed with the consistency idea. One thing I noticed was how different each of these albums is sonically and thematically, so much so that they don't blend very well.

Dreamlines

1. Dreamline

2. Presto

3. Ghost of a Chance

4. The Pass

5. The Color of Right

6. Leave that Thing Alone

7. Test for Echo

8. Driven

9. Half the World

10. Animate

11. Available Light

I would have loved to get Resist, Superconductor, and half of RTB on this album, but RTB songs seem to go together for me. Really, Available Light doesn't fit well with this album either, but I couldn't leave it off.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2

Rush - Steel Wires

Side One

Animate

Bravado

Cut To The Chase

Driven

Presto

Leave That Thing Alone

Side Two

Dreamline

Test For Echo

The Pass

Totem

Ghost of a Chance

• Like 1

OK, We'll call the album Time and Motion. Side 1 track 1: Time and Motion track 2: Red Tide track 3: Face Up track 4: Bravado track 5: Animate Side 2 track 1: Scars track 2: Cold Fire track 3: Test for Echo track 4: Between Sun and moon track 5: Ghost of a Chance track 6: Where's My Thing?

Ok, Honkin', I've never done this, but I just listened to a submitted "Rush Era playlist" (yours) straight thru, to see how well it holds together.

The first transition, from the fine opener Time and Motion to Red Tide, was a little rough for me, but the next couple changes felt good.

Animate was really weird to hear in the middle of an album, though.

I thought side 2 worked well. Ending with an instrumental is an odd choice, especially after a moderately sad song, but it turned out OK.

And I think I missed Dreamline.

Overall, good job!

:finbar: