Revisiting Tom Sawyer

Bangster of Goats

Tom Sawyer.

Yeah, we've ALL heard it about 6,398,173 times. Some of us are more tired of it than others. Some aren't tired of it. But I was one who was pretty burned out on it.

But recently I managed to put myself into some strange Zen trance, tricking my brain into listening to the song (the album version for those keeping track) with a new, fresh, objective ear - as fresh as I could make it.

And you know, really, that song just freakin' RIPS. It's powerful and driving, and yet sounds mysterious and ominous at the same time. I honestly got goosebumps, for the first time in years.

I might be preaching to the choir with some people here ("well, DUH it's a great song!") but it was really nice for these jaded ears to appreciate the song once again. :D

• Like 7

It's pretty much always been a song to me that I've tended to not be enthusiastic over - I know it's a great song, but it's just not personally a favourite. However, I have given it more appreciation lately - I like that it drives concert crowds nuts (I love the energy), and it's really technically a very, very good song, with all the pieces just fitting together so well. I've been trying to listen to different things in it now, such as concentrating on the drum work, or the bass lines, or the moodiness of some of the synths. I don't think it will give me goosebumps, but I do appreciate its awesomeness. But if I had to choose between hearing this one and, say, 'Everyday Glory', guess which one would win? ;) Edited by Mika

I've always loved that song, ever since I was little. It's a habit to air drum to it lol.

I'm in love with the song and I still appreciate it, especially when I hear it in the car. The E...SL version is such a joy to listen to, that I get goosebumps from it, now and then.

I never heard of this song, what album is it on.

It's on their album Moving Pictures that came out in 1981. It's a great album.

Seriously though, I NEVER tire of Tom Sawyer, no matter how overplayed it is. It's just a brilliant, brilliant track. :yes: :wub:

I think he was being sarcastic there Goober.

I never heard of this song, what album is it on.

It's on their album Moving Pictures that came out in 1981. It's a great album.

Seriously though, I NEVER tire of Tom Sawyer, no matter how overplayed it is. It's just a brilliant, brilliant track. :yes: :wub:

I think he was being sarcastic there Goober.

Yes, I was aware - hence the 2nd line starting with "Seriously though." ;)

The Exit...Stage Left version is my favorite. It has more attitude than the studio recording. And it's the version I heard first, courtesy of MTV.

I think I fell into the category of rebelling against it's awesomeness because it was popular when I was younger. I always skipped over it and was bored of hearing it live.

Now, I really get into it - as someone else said, there are so many incredible things to focus on. Each time you listen, you can hear something new it seems. I am not a drummer, but I think the drum track is just unreal and Geddy's base and Alex's Solo....

I loved the Rush in Rio version of it. Geddy's voice was still very crisp, everything else instrumentally was awesome, and the crowd, the 40,000+ crowd was roaring pretty hard throughout the song.

I've never liked the lyrics. I wonder if I'd like the song if I heard a non-vocal version? I don't suppose one exists, does it?

Not that I know of, but there's the DJ Z-Trip version which has marginally less lyrics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMtACkI0N4o

:blink:

I just had the chance to listen to that. I have to say I've never heard anything like it before!

Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

I just had the chance to listen to that. I have to say I've never heard anything like it before!

Thanks for posting it.

No problem! :) It's from the soundtrack of 'Small Soldiers' in case you were wondering.

You know it's a funny thing with popular rush songs because it's like oh yeah tom sawyer whatever. But if u hear it in a public place youre like all excited cuz u know other people can hear it and you're like yup that's my favorite band they're pretty awesome right??:)

You know it's a funny thing with popular rush songs because it's like oh yeah tom sawyer whatever. But if u hear it in a public place youre like all excited cuz u know other people can hear it and you're like yup that's my favorite band they're pretty awesome right?? :)

Heh, right!