Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres

MMCXII

I just listened to both of these in sequence, taking in the lyrics and music in a way that I haven't in a long time... right after the final word "spheres" I found myself putting my hands together and saying "thank you Rush" WOW what an amazing epic!

I had to start a thread on here about it for no other reason that just that's it's so freaking awesome!

I think I'm going to start doing this as part of my drum practice routine.

come to think of it, is there anywhere I can get "drum tabs" for this if there is such a thing? I've usually just played by ear guessing on what drums are being used.. or maybe a program like "garage band" I think it's called but for a PC??

any way, CHEERS and RUSH RULES!

• Like 2

What I love most is the moral of the whole epic. It's about how humanity should get along despite wide differences in lifestyles and opinions. I also love how Rush included astronomy into this epic. This song actually made me interested in astronomy, and I must thank Rush for that.
  • Like 1

Definitely a highlight of their careers. I wish they were a bit more adventurous like this nowdays. I miss the old bass/guitar/drums basic Rush where you could hear every instrument clearly. It was beautiful in it's simplicity.
  • Like 2

If they'd only play the whole thing live?

They have. It was fantastic.

The hemispheres tour bootlegs are amazing for this. Sometimes I wish I were 20 years older so I could've seen these shows. But then I realize that I'd rather be 20 years younger.

• Like 3

Definitely epic music that is hard to come up with words to describe the awesomeness. Both tunes are from albums that rank in my personal top 3 and they certainly are major reasons why those albums are so good.

I like both songs a lot, but I have always found them more flawed than most of you guys.

I love the first half of part Cygnus. There's a hard break, and then part two is good, but less special.

To me, Xanadu is their best long progger and it overshadows Cygnus on AFTK.

Hemispheres: I find both the main theme and second section to be excellent, but then the musical themes repeat once too many times for my tastes. It hurts the song a bit. I would have preferred the Apollo and Dionysus sections to be more distinct.

La Villa is the best part of Hemispheres, though it is a more modern sounding piece and not really ithe same prog animal as the aforementioned songs.

Am i craazy? As much as I love prog, and Rush's brand of prog, I think they almost dropped the ball on Cygnus, Hemispheres, and parts of 2112, as well.

Having said all that, AFTK and Hemispheres are still both in my top 5.

Edited by sitboaf

These 2 are really special - no doubt. AFTK was my first Rush album. Cygnus X-1 really clicked something for me. I had just started getting into music beyond top 40 radio and this was quite unbelievable. And then to add "to be continued" at the end of the lyrics - I couldn't wait. Book 2 - Hemispheres did not disappoint.

I have the Black Forest boot queued up next for my car iPod. You can feel their exhaustion listening to Hemispheres live (not to mention that whole set!)

I'm listening to the whole thing every day now :)

Every vocal cord TORN APAAAARRT!!!!! lol. Not hard to see how Ged damaged his voice over the years!!

I found the best way to listen to these masterpeices is to start off listening to Countdown and then Cygnus x-1 and Hemispheres.

When I here those three songs together, its like a trip man!

Countdown builds up the tension and drama and excitment of a rockect launch.

Then Cygnus X-1 just seemlessly picks up were countdown left off. The ship starts off its journy accross the milky way.

Then Hemishpere takes this simple space story and transforms it into a might science-fiction epic. Complete with though provoking philosphy, battles, and gods and etc.

I read a thread a while back where someone mentioned that when they heard the "I have no memory or form" part of Hemispheres, that they though it was the acutal blcak hole. I say it paints an awesome picture and changes the story a lot when you envision the black hole.

Great songs all around

• Like 1