2. The Spirit of Radio

1. Tom (*chokes*) Sawyer (*gags*)

Honorable Mentions: Working Man, YYZ

so basically you hate the classics?

• Like 2

after rethinking this, I will add three more to my list:

Faithless

The body electric

The Garden (I know people love it, its a nice song, but as goose said, its not stairway to heaven)

5. Closer to the Heart

4. 2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

never understood why it's so cool to hate the hits all of a sudden.

• Like 1

and I can't understand lyrics ruining some of these tunes...not trying to put anyone down, but my brain's just more musical I guess. for me, I have to enjoy the music before I really pay attention to the lyrics. necromancer might be Tolkien-esque fantasy stuff and a bit silly, but the atmosphere is incredible and it's one of the band's heaviest songs

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

For any band there's a segment of their devoted fan base that sort of resents any material that casual fans also enjoy. Go on a Black Sabbath fan site and you'll find people who think The Eternal Idol is better than Paranoid.

Personally I think Moving Pictures was such a huge hit because the songs are amazing. Test for Echo wasn't because the songs aren't.

• Like 2

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

For any band there's a segment of their devoted fan base that sort of resents any material that casual fans also enjoy. Go on a Black Sabbath fan site and you'll find people who think The Eternal Idol is better than Paranoid.

Personally I think Moving Pictures was such a huge hit because the songs are amazing. Test for Echo wasn't because the songs aren't.

I mean, I like a lot of "obscure" shit too, but the people who act like seventh star is the best sabbath and coda is the best zeppelin and the byrds are better than beatles because less people like them, I'll never understand

• Like 1

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

I mean, I like a lot of "obscure" shit too, but the people who act like seventh star is the best sabbath and coda is the best zeppelin and the byrds are better than beatles because less people like them, I'll never understand

Me either. I'm a Rush fan. I like Circumstances and Entre Nous. And I still think Tom Sawyer is a great song.

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

Original Coda or Coda on the remastered box set?

• Like 1

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

No, no. I don't hate them, they're just overrated. That's all.

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

I guess I got the wrong impression when you were choking and gaging

• Like 1

1. Anything off VT - hard to single anything out, but maybe Earthshine or Secret Touch or OLV because they're the most popular.

You overrate Signals like no other! Secret Touch is confounding, there I end it in agreement.

5. Closer to the Heart

3. Limelight

2. The Spirit of Radio

I guess I got the wrong impression when you were choking and gaging

Yeah, I actually do loathe Tom Sawyer. Not my favorite.

The Garden (For me, the awesome Clockwork Angels ends with Wish Them Well)

1-The Garden

2-The Garden

3-The Garden

4-The Garden

5-The Garden

Not only does it NEVER end, but afterwards I get nightmares of Liberace and mint coloured basses

For me CA ends with Headlong Flight.

New World Man

Middletown Dream

Emotion Detector

Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

I don't understand why NWM was the highest charting Rush song. It's far from the best song on Signals. MT and ED sound like cheesy 80s music and just sound awkward now. CE and JL are good songs, but not sure if they deserve some of the accolades they receive.

New World Man

Middletown Dream

Emotion Detector

Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

I don't understand why NWM was the highest charting Rush song. It's far from the best song on Signals. MT and ED sound like cheesy 80s music and just sound awkward now. CE and JL are good songs, but not sure if they deserve some of the accolades they receive.

:(

I love The Camera Eye and Middletown Dreams! I agree with you on Jacob's Ladder.

Off the top of my head, these are mine:

Working Man

Closer to the Heart

Hemispheres (Cygnus Book 2)

By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Just not that interesting or memorable for me. I think fans overrate it in their attempt to identify it as an early indicator of the lengthier epics that the band would explore on subsequent releases.

Middletown Dreams - Not terrible. But I've tried repeatedly to get excited about this song and it never really does anything for me.

Jacob's Ladder - I absolutely loved this song as a teenager. I probably had it in my top five at one point. As my tastes evolved, however, Jacob's Ladder increasingly registered as an interesting idea that wasn't carried completely to fruition. It's a bit tedious. I eventually concluded that its lengthy absence from setlists lent an unwarranted aura of mystery and intrigue to it, based more on obscurity than actual quality.

Witch Hunt - I'm not actually sure that this one is overrated by the community at large. But I certainly overrated it in my earlier years as a Rush fan. Similar to Jacob's Ladder, I used to count it among my favorites. Also similar to Jacob's Ladder, I now find it a bit tedious and melodramatic.

Freewill - Yep! I just went there. Loved it as a teenager, but the melody and lyrics are rather grating to my more seasoned ears.

Dreamline - As much as I like this song, it has been played on almost every single tour since RTB!! I mean it is a great song, but after it gets played over and over again, it can be quite tiresome. It's almost has the status of Tom Sawyer. But you can then argue about why I'm not complaining about songs like TSOR, YYZ, or Subdivisions. It is simply because I believe that those songs were made to be played live... They can be very "dangerous" to play live, but they also get the whole crowd going because most people enjoy those parts of the RUSH catalog. :rantoff: Sorry about that, I mean Dreamline has great moments in it, especially live, but its a song that gets too much attention and is overplayed.

Jacob's Ladder - I personally just don't get it... I never have, and as much as I've tried to get into it, I can't see why people love it soooooo much. I just don't think its all that great. However, one day I may come around... That's just my opinion, please don't burn me at the stake...

2112 - I love the Overtures and Syrinx. They are the greatest parts of that piece, but after that, as many others have pointed out, it kinda drags and is just strung together by mediocre filler. Although, at one point I really did love this song in its entirety, but after the 1st two parts nowadays, its kinda boring...

Tom Sawyer - Do I really need to say anything?

And finally, tied for 5th, Limelight and Closer To The Heart - They both are staples to RUSH, but being overplayed and constantly being called their "best song" by casual fans really tends me to dislike these songs... sometimes. I really do like both of these songs, but when they start being overplayed (concert and radio) and recycled again and again, it gets boring....

Overall though, I find all of their work vastly exciting. Every week it seems I start to drift to different tangents of their career whether it be the early years, gilded age, or the synthy stages...

New World Man

Middletown Dream

Emotion Detector

Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

How is Emotion Detector over-rated? I haven't seen anybody list it on "best of" lists or even talk about it all that much.

• Like 2

Are a lot of these songs really rated high enough to be overrated? Stick it out is rated highly, secret touch? This is more like a thread simply about rush songs you don't like.
  • Like 1