The 90´s - Lost Decade?

Rod in Toronto

Common sense says that the 90´s are a lost decade, and I believe this opinion is highly due to grunce taking over the charts and representing the demise of hair metal - at least in America.

Similar to hair metal, a lot of other bands struggled to attract attention, and some did not know where to go - proof of that is the amount of live albums from metal/rock staples: Iron Maiden (Live at Donnington, A Real Live One, A Real Dead One), Van Halen (Live: Right Here Right Now AND a Best of), Kiss (Alive IV), AC/DC (Live) etc. And some metal bands "lost the plot", hiring replacements to their singers who failed miserably: Blaze Bayley (Maiden), Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest), GAry Cherone (Van Halen) etc.

All that said, I still think the 90´s gave birth to a lot of cool bands and good songs from classic rock artists. My list:

Living Colour - Glamour Boys, Type, and a bunch of others;

Iron Maiden - Be Quick or Be Dead;

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under, Metropolis etc;

Pearl Jam - Alive, Jeremy;

Alice In Chains - Would?

Soundgarden - Spoonman;

AC/DC - Thunderstruck;

Judas Priest - Painkiller;

Faith No More - Epic; Falling to Pieces;

Rush - Animate

Any others you can think about?

There are definitely gems in 90s music =]

I love the entire Razors Edge album from AC/DC (big shock, I know), 90s Page & Plant stuff, Cheap trick's self titled 1997 album is KILLER....there's a lot more :)

I'd say the early 90s produced some good stuff. I was a big fan of what was called "shoe gaze" music. Unfortunately, this rock scene happened at the same time as grunge and was overshadowed. Around 1995, music started to lose its substance insofar as newer musical movements (like grunge, shoe gaze) and became a sad time of the rise of boy bands and stuff.

I actually love a fair amount of the early grunge stuff. It's the late to the party copy cat stuff, like Puddle of Mudd, I can do without. I love STP's Core and Purple, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Superunknown and Down on the Upside and Alice in Chains' Facelift and Dirt. Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 2

I loved the '90's. It wasn't lost at all.

REM became huge.

Good grunge rose to the top, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees...

The Black Album. Yeah, the f***ing Black Album. It rocked. I don't care how far removed from Ride The Lightning it is. It rocked.

Yup, CT, I loved shoegazing too, Ride, Curve, MBV, Slowdive. Fabulous.

The rebirth of Bob Mould with Sugar.

Evan Dando, Juliana Hatfield, Belly, Teenage Fanclub, The Wonder Stuffand all the other jangly popsters.

Faith No More.

Blur.

• Like 1

REM became huge.

Good grunge rose to the top, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees...

The Black Album. Yeah, the f***ing Black Album. It rocked. I don't care how far removed from Ride The Lightning it is. It rocked.

Evan Dando, Juliana Hatfield, Belly, Teenage Fanclub, The Wonder Stuffand all the other jangly popsters.

Faith No More.

Blur.

Hey, you forgot Built to Spill!

• Like 2

Kitchens of Distinction ranks as one of my all time fave bands of the 90s. Some of their longer tunes "Gone World Gone" and "Blue Pedal" are my fave tunes of theirs. edit: My Bloody Valentine recently released a new album simply called "MBV". I don't have it, but their tunes can be found on youtube. Edited by circumstantial tree

REM became huge.

Faith No More.

Blur.

Hey, you forgot Built to Spill!

:banana:

I hated the '90's. It had a few bright spots.

REM started to suck.

Faith No More.

The Sundays

Modified this one a bit.

Am still bitter about REM. Everything from "Green" on sucked.

Most of the quality music from the 90s only became apparent to me after year 2000. I unfortunately were too young, so much of it were crap I don't feel the need to disclose ;).

But the good music I heard through the 90s were Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live. I literally grew up on that live album.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tool yet.

I hated the '90's. It had a few bright spots.

REM started to suck.

Faith No More.

The Sundays

Modified this one a bit.

Am still bitter about REM. Everything from "Green" on sucked.

:no: Automatic for the People is a masterpiece.

• Like 1

I was never a fan of REM. Another band I liked in the 90s was "The Ocean Blue". They had an acoustic rock vibe like The Sundays.