Is there "anything" you don't like about Rush music?

Virtualbob64

Shouldnt really complain too much as we all fortunate this great band still going but, my only complaint about rush music is there doesnt seem to be enough these days... meaning, although the guys have separate lives with families etc and obviously like to do things their own way, i personally kinda wish we were getting new material every 3yrs or so.

I know its being selfish and greedy.. just an album every 5yrs can be a bit like torture, i aint satisfied with tours i need more new rush :)

I remember when waiting for a year and half seemed like forever. When I hadn't heard about any new album after 1.5 years from when Power Windows came out, I started to worry that they split up. All I had to do was wait a few more months before hearing about Hold Your Fire being a new album.

personally I think the only reason S&A gets so much shit is cause that's when neil's lack of faith became most apparent

Neil's lack of faith has been well documented since the 70s big guy.

I find it a mystery that S&A gets any shit, because it's a very strong effort, and is the stepping stone to Clockwork Angels. The momentum that the guys had from S&A is what made CA possible. :finbar:

well "faithless" is a bit more obvious about lack of faith than say, freewill or something like that. it just seems like with S&A he somehow became, I dunno, offensively atheist (not to me) to some. freewill seems more of a positive tune and a lot of the S&A tunes, even though I personally dig them, don't have that same vibe, and I think it rubs a lot of the older fans the wrong way.

Shouldnt really complain too much as we all fortunate this great band still going but, my only complaint about rush music is there doesnt seem to be enough these days... meaning, although the guys have separate lives with families etc and obviously like to do things their own way, i personally kinda wish we were getting new material every 3yrs or so.

I know its being selfish and greedy.. just an album every 5yrs can be a bit like torture, i aint satisfied with tours i need more new rush :)

this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think I might be satisfied with just tours at this point. I love new rush, but I dunno how they can top clockwork angels. then again, fans in 1980 were probably saying "they'll never top permanent waves" and look what happened the next year

Judging by their last two efforts, I dont think I like Rush anymore.

that's happened to me before. Counterparts and Test for Echo did little to inspire me. I'd say between 1992 and 2000 Rush was not what I was into. Once Geddy's solo album came out, my interest returned to some extent but never like it was in the 1980s when I was a die hard fan.

The whole sexuality-minority-masculinity-reality rhyming bollocks on Nobody's Hero.

Netboy-Netgirl. Again, bollocks.

And, Stick It Out. Utter bollocks.

Bollocks.

And "half the world" statement making up more than half the words in that song.

• Like 1

The whole sexuality-minority-masculinity-reality rhyming bollocks on Nobody's Hero.

Bollocks.

I don't mind that too much, to be honest. And it's a decent tune.

Bollocks.

Half The World is one of the oft-hated Rush songs that I actually enjoy a lot. Maybe because it doesn't sound like a traditional Rush-type song.

personally I think the only reason S&A gets so much shit is cause that's when neil's lack of faith became most apparent

It's gets a lot of shit because,aside from one instrumental that was clearly thrown on last minute, it's plodding, too preachy and negative, and worst of all BORING.

• Like 1

My only gripe is that the guitar tone on the last two albums has been sort of generic - industry standard to my ears. What really attracted my to Rush from the start was how cool Alex's guitar sounded and how different the sound was from what everyone else was doing. Now, the guitar sound is not unique. Just my two cents.

I hear the opposite....I think Alex's Les Pauls are TOO heavy and distorted on record and live. And Geddy's bass tone is too dirty as well. Put them together and you have the wall of distortion sound of the last 15 years starting with TFE. I remember listening to Different Stages when it came out in '98 and too many songs sounded like mud. Someone described the opening of Limelight as sounding like Alex was playing through a stack of blown speakers.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails. I might give the remix a shot. This "rant" or wish in my opinion isn't musically but I wish they would take more time to meet with fans. I know they're really busy people and they do meet and greets but those things are really hard to win. My friend and I at the CA show in Portland went around to the busses afterwards (we are both 17 and optimistic little kids inside) and I had a hunch that they just run off and leave and surely I was right. I was thinking about skipping the encore to go back there early but I couldn't miss Finale in 2112. Tom Sawyer I could've lived without, I'm sorry but I'm sure a lot of us feel that. I do admit it did sound great after hearing a lot of their not so loved stuff, especially since they didn't include limelight at the Portland show. Well anyways, I just wish there were more chances to just say a simple "Hello, you're music has really molded me into the person I am today and you guys are the reason why I play (insert instrument here) I really appreciate what you have accomplished and hope you can continue as long as you can."

I feel they should at least bring back some of their original instruments from P/G and pre-yond. There are so many rich sounds theyve had in their past, it would be heartwarming to hear them surface again in song. There's nothing really left in terms of the advancement of instruments. They'll only continue to sound more and more soulless. Edited by GeminiRising79

Yeah, Geddy's keyboard rig...

Ever since he started switching over to having his keyboards trigger a bunch of racked up samplers offstage, I started to haz a sad. I loved it when he played the actual Oberheims and PPGs and Jupiters and such in front of him, rather than mere samples of those instruments. But oh well, I've heard that Geddy's sold off most of his old keyboards and synths. (Hey Ged, I'll take that old OB-X off your hands if you've still got it!)

Edited by Bangster of Goats

Bollocks.

Half The World is one of the oft-hated Rush songs that I actually enjoy a lot. Maybe because it doesn't sound like a traditional Rush-type song.

I've been a vocal fan of T4E for a long time, but have always understood what people wouldn't like about it.

That said, the dislike for Half the World is very confusing. It's just a nice song, awesome mandolin solo, uplifting vibe with an interesting lyrical concept. I don't expect "Natural Science" when I hear it, it's an accessible pop/rock song, and I think a very good one.

To be honest, it sounds very "'90s" to me.

That said, the dislike for Half the World is very confusing. It's just a nice song, awesome mandolin solo, uplifting vibe with an interesting lyrical concept. I don't expect "Natural Science" when I hear it, it's an accessible pop/rock song, and I think a very good one.

What is interesting about the lyrical concept? We got the idea from the first verse, no need to pound it home so repetitively.

"Half the World" is one of the five worst songs in their catalog. Rush can do, and consistently does, much, much better than this. I'd rather hear "I Think I'm Going Bald".

• Like 1

Bollocks.

I've been a vocal fan of T4E for a long time, but have always understood what people wouldn't like about it.

To be honest, it sounds very "'90s" to me.

I agree completely. The song is just an excellent little pop-rock song. Criticism on the lyrics seem particularly misguided after what Neil had produced on the previous album. They aren't deep, for sure, but they aren't the cringe-worthy ones on relationships, to be sure.

Dog Years. That's one of the worst songs ever created.

:( I love that track, the lyrics are really clever and the music kicks. Plus, it's the only time you'll ever hear Geddy sing 'Sad son of a bitch'!

But a dog bitch. Not an actual insulting one. So it can't count. :(

Dog Years. That's one of the worst songs ever created.

:( I love that track, the lyrics are really clever and the music kicks. Plus, it's the only time you'll ever hear Geddy sing 'Sad son of a bitch'!

But a dog bitch. Not an actual insulting one. So it can't count. :(

Of course it can, it's a double entendre. :)

• Like 2

I love Hemispheres. But after watching BTLS and hearing how they recorded in a key that even Geddy struggled to sing to, the mistake stands out for me. 'When the weary world was young, the STRUGGLE of the ancients first begun'

THC can be a tricky muse.

• Like 1