Rush's End Game

losingit2k

Why MP again? No I'll have Permanent Waves or Signals thank you very much ;)

They need to largely do a "powerband" era setlist (PermWavs/MP/Signals) with some older classics peppered-in. +

I agree with you bro—except the MP idea. That album needs to be retired. The tread is still great, but I'm really tired of the way it rides. Signals would be freaking awesome.
  • Like 2

People they are not Spring Chickens anymore. Actually thats a good name for a group "The Spring Chickens" Anyway back on track, I think an announced Farewell Tour will give everyone the incentive to drive and catch this incredible band for the last time in their lives and I do think they can Sell Out Stadiums if fans and people know thats the only night within 200-400 miles to catch the show. I think RUSH fans will drive and make an event out of the whole thing. If The Who, Floyd and the Stones can sell Stadium. I'm sure RUSH can. You just have to plan it well and publicize it well. They could even perform two whole albums (Pew & MP + 2112 Suite) live. Can you imagine That?

Set 1:

R41 Instrumedley: Working Man, By-Tor and the Snowdog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude)

Far Cry

Caravan

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trails

Limbo / Drum Solo #1/ Mal-Nar

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 Suite

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Alex Solo/ Different Strings (Extended Solo)

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ/ Drum Solo #2

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Dreamline

New World Man

Closer to the Heart (Extended-Jam)

Encore #2:

Headlong Flight

Sorry Had to do it! :codger:

Encore #2:

Headlong Flight (super extended jam with solos from each member)

• Like 2

They need to largely do a "powerband" era setlist (PermWavs/MP/Signals) with some older classics peppered-in. +

I agree with you bro—except the MP idea. That album needs to be retired. The tread is still great, but I'm really tired of the way it rides. Signals would be freaking awesome.

I agree. I burned out on MP after the 2nd Landover show in May of '81!

Otherwise not to keen on that whole stadium thing, since it would mean no european dates :(

Why MP? Maybe cause its their most successful album! I would rather hear all of Hemispheres but do you really think that will happen? Anyway, why not Europe? There are no stadiums in Europe? Camp Nuo in Spain/ Wembley Stadium? Stade de France? Stadio Olympico in Greece? Olympiastadion in Germany? I think that would about cover it!

Because they already did that, so it wouldn't make sense. Of course we have stadiums in Europe, but when did Rush last fill a stadium on european soil? I love Rush, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can fill up a stadium in Europe.

What about if they only play Two Dates in Europe say London and Greece? Or Just one night right smack in the middle of Germany?

Good idea to play a stadium show in Greece where the economy is almost dead. :facepalm: That said how many units of Rush CD's were sold in Greece and how big a fan base is there? :facepalm: :facepalm: Stupidity as far as I can see.

Greece would be a freebee! Yeah right! Besides I was just naming Stadiums. London and Germany then. Does that make you happier? There just ideas anyway. Its not like it would happen anyway! Yet I don't see you leaving any ideas?

No offense there man. :cheers:

I just thought it would be a very bad idea to play in countries, where no fan base exists and the band has absolutely no market - Ergo, financial disaster.

My guess is they spend a lot of (well deserved) time with their families and after the batteries are loaded again, we get an extended tour. Maybe they do something special like a "21 shows in 12 cities" tour or the afore-mentioned R41/R42 world tour. As a lot of other people here I would love to see another album played in its entirety rather than MP.

Unfortunately I can't see that happen before 2015.

I actually think thats pretty cool 21 shows in 12 cities. I see what you did there! :codger:

• Like 1

People they are not Spring Chickens anymore. Actually thats a good name for a group "The Spring Chickens" Anyway back on track, I think an announced Farewell Tour will give everyone the incentive to drive and catch this incredible band for the last time in their lives and I do think they can Sell Out Stadiums if fans and people know thats the only night within 200-400 miles to catch the show. I think RUSH fans will drive and make an event out of the whole thing. If The Who, Floyd and the Stones can sell Stadium. I'm sure RUSH can. You just have to plan it well and publicize it well. They could even perform two whole albums (Pew & MP + 2112 Suite) live. Can you imagine That?

Set 1:

R41 Instrumedley: Working Man, By-Tor and the Snowdog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude)

Far Cry

Caravan

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trails

Limbo / Drum Solo #1/ Mal-Nar

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 Suite

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Alex Solo/ Different Strings (Extended Solo)

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ/ Drum Solo #2

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Dreamline

New World Man

Closer to the Heart (Extended-Jam)

Encore #2:

Headlong Flight

Sorry Had to do it! :codger:

Encore #2:

Headlong Flight (super extended jam with solos from each member)

Sounds goof to me!

:rush: :haz: :rush:

I don't like the idea of the stadium shows. Keep going with the arena tours. The CA tour hit a lot of cities, but I could understand if they have to run less dates. Hopefully they can keep as many dates in. They keep taking all these little 10 day breaks in the middle of the tour. I don't want to hear them title it a farewell tour, because then it would be the end. They aren't going to mess around like Kiss who was here in 2000 on their Farewell tour, and then came a few weeks ago.

another Edmontonian! :cheers:

my bro was at that Kiss show a few weeks ago

I could've went but I was busy washing my socks LOL

actually it sounded like they put on a good "Kiss-style" show! I shoulda went. never seen them before

Rush's end game is laying ill in a hospital bed for days, weeks. Then suddenly it'll be all over and they'll die, only slowly...

:eh:

Not funny, duck!

:tsk:

Don't listen to the bird. All those years of heavy drug use and late night comic book reading has f*cked with his...wait, that's me! Anyway, don't listen to the bird. :blaze: Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I agree. I burned out on MP after the 2nd Landover show in May of '81!

judging from your posts, it seems you burned out on the band around the same time

• Like 1

I don't thin "WE'LL" know when it's their last tour.... maybe the LAST SHOW when it's happening. maybe not....but I don't think they'll advertise the tour as such.

I could see them doing an R40-something kind of tour, playing more "hits" less "new album" stuff on the next venture....but I wouldn't put it past them to just keep going on the occasional tour until they just say "that WAS it"!

• Like 1

What I honestly think will happen is that they will take their break for about 2 years, then they will go back into the studio and write another album and tour again for that album. But for that tour I don't think they will play for as long as they did this tour, like they will only play for an hour or so (which might mean they would have an opening act).

After that, I don't know! I don't ever want them to stop, I love them too much :'(

But I think if they honestly, physically can't tour anymore, then they will stop.

Remember Geddy said "For as long as we can, as long as we're still standing" In that interview? I think he really meant that. :)

I think they will keep going for as long as they can.

Edited by MusicalAbby2112

Here's another idea. Rush created a festival (Like Ozz-Fest) but they call it Prog-Fest and they always have prog Bands like Coheed and Cambria, Fate Warning, The Winery Dogs opening up!

Doors open at 4:00

The Winery Dogs start at 4:30 for 45 minutes

Coheed and Cambria at 5:30 for 45 Minutes

Fates Warning at 6:30 for 60 Minutes

Rush at 8:00 for their usual 3 hour show! Then after they retire Prog- Fest lives on within many other bands. One year Dream Theater headlines. The next Asia, Transatlantic, Yes, Saga or Queensryche, whomever! Consequently, as a tribute to RUSH, each band in the festival must always play at least one to two song from the masters.

:rush: :rush: :haz: :rush: :rush:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

I can't foresee another R-something tour and especially not one where they only play their biggest hits they already have played like a billion times. To me they seem to strive for something new all the time, pushing the envelope setting the bar higher. :)
  • Like 1

I can't foresee another R-something tour and especially not one where they only play their biggest hits they already have played like a billion times. To me they seem to strive for something new all the time, pushing the envelope setting the bar higher. :)

You may be right, but I still hope for an R-something tour that focuses on rarely or never played songs.

• Like 2

Long time member here, I don't post much these days but thought I would offer my 2c.

I don't think Rush will formally announce a "farewell tour" per say, but if they did so (in some fashion) I would love to see them book up Massey Hall here in Toronto for a string of say 8-12 shows over say 2-3 weeks :eyeroll: .

It solves (resolves?) many issues re: the touring grind for all concerned, fans included:

• It's in Toronto, where it all started
  • It's where Rush recorded their first live show (full circle)
  • Intimate venue, somewhat stripped down stage setup isn't a bad thing
  • Zero travel / wear and tear for the group, roadies and crew (10minute drive for Ged and Alex !)
  • Advance notice for fans and good for the city (tourism!)
  • Concert Blu Ray and would have a TON of footage to put together the best of the best performance-wise
  • Did I mention it would be in Toronto?

I've seen 2 shows at Massey Hall (was a tad too young to see Rush play there); Iron Maiden in the mid 1980's and Steve Miller in 1989 I think it was. Fan-freaking-tastic sightlines and acoustics from first row balcony !

Doubt it would ever happen but one can dream and I think it would be just a fitting tribute for the band and for the city. Tickets would cost a ton but it would be well worth it to see them play there. Some type of ticketing policy / ID would be great also to stop or prohibit all the damn online resellers / scalpers.

Cheers ! :cheers:

• Like 1

Long time member here, I don't post much these days but thought I would offer my 2c.

I don't think Rush will formally announce a "farewell tour" per say, but if they did so (in some fashion) I would love to see them book up Massey Hall here in Toronto for a string of say 8-12 shows over say 2-3 weeks :eyeroll: .

It solves (resolves?) many issues re: the touring grind for all concerned, fans included:

• Zero travel / wear and tear for the group, roadies and crew (10minute drive for Ged and Alex !)
  • Concert Blu Ray and would have a TON of footage to put together the best of the best performance-wise

I've seen 2 shows at Massey Hall (was a tad too young to see Rush play there); Iron Maiden in the mid 1980's and Steve Miller in 1989 I think it was. Fan-freaking-tastic sightlines and acoustics from first row balcony !

Doubt it would ever happen but one can dream and I think it would be just a fitting tribute for the band and for the city. Tickets would cost a ton but it would be well worth it to see them play there. Some type of ticketing policy / ID would be great also to stop or prohibit all the damn online resellers / scalpers.

this would be a dream for me! I went down to Toronto for their 2010 shows and visited Massey hall, awesome little historical building!

plus I was born in Toronto and if this happened I would just die!!! (full circle for me too LOL)

• Like 1

You may be right, but I still hope for an R-something tour that focuses on rarely or never played songs.

Yes, rarely played and never played songs would be a kind of a new thing :).

• Like 1

this would be a dream for me! I went down to Toronto for their 2010 shows and visited Massey hall, awesome little historical building!

plus I was born in Toronto and if this happened I would just die!!! (full circle for me too LOL)

Oh please no! That would, with almost 100% certainty, diminish my chances of seeing them to a mere zero :tsk: ;)

I would LOVE to see them at Massey Hall too! However, it probably doesn't make financial or logistical sense because they'd have to rent it for a few nights, and each night they play would take a certain amount of energy out of them... Great thought, but in today's market, I fear it's a dream.

Second only to Massey would be to see them at Radio City. It's about twice as large but equally historical (kind of the states' version of MH).

Man... Here's a thought (though highly unlikely for many reasons): INCREASE prices about 30-50% to compensate for decreased audience size and play a tour of smaller historical venues: major theaters, halls, etc. Massey, RC, The Greek, Apollo, etc....

I don't think they'll play smaller venues...unless ticket sales were drastically less than the previous tour. Also, I don't think (in their eyes) a historical venue is more important than a venue where they can sell more tickets...note: I'm talking about arenas/auditoriums with around a 7000-10,000 capacity NOT massive stadiums