Singing at Rush shows

Mika

At the Vancouver concert a few days ago (a few days, already?!), I sang along with every single song (excluding the instrumentals, I should point out, before anyone gets funny!). Every single word Geddy sang, had an echo from me - though I missed a few in 'Middletown Dreams'. Don't know why, but I just haven't learned all the lyrics to that one, yet!

One of my favourite things about being at a Rush show is being to belt out Rush songs with the singer himself, and I have an enormously good time doing so; hopefully not to the extent of annoying seat mates. I don't think I'm that loud and obnoxious, and I know that I at least sing in tune! :P

The thing is, I started noticing others around me not singing. I mean, I didn't see a single other person singing along. I started to think, oh, are you not supposed to sing your heart out at a show? Do these people not know the words, maybe? Is singing along something that I do, and most others don't?

What are your thoughts on this? I always kind of thought singing was something that was done, a way to really connect with the music; or at least it is for me. It's weird feeling that I was the only one there 'helping' Geddy with the singing.

I was singing my heart out this year...from start to finish, every single word...even the instrumentals haha. I feel like if i didnt sing along, i wouldnt have enjoyed the show to its fullest potential. I think my buddy was a bit embarrassed...not because of my singing, but because he doesnt have the capacity to remember lyrics like i do, so he helped when he could...luckily most around me were doing the same...except for one lady about 2 seats down who would not stop staring at me during the show...i guess she just saw or heard something she liked ;)
  • Like 1

I'm relatively quiet for the most part while singing/ jamming in my own little world, but there were times at summerfest that I certainly did shout out the words hahaha. (Most people around me were, as well, so no biggie lol. I was luckily in a section of bleachers that never once stopped dancing, singing and air bass/guitar/drumming!)

I usually bring a mic and speakers that take up the 2 seats next to me. I sing everything off key and louder than Geddy. In addition, since I know the setlist ahead of time, I sing one song ahead of the band. I don't mind the nasty looks I get, it comes with the territory of being a hardcore Rush fan.
  • Like 7

I usually bring a mic and speakers that take up the 2 seats next to me. I sing everything off key and louder than Geddy. In addition, since I know the setlist ahead of time, I sing one song ahead of the band. I don't mind the nasty looks I get, it comes with the territory of being a hardcore Rush fan.

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

I sung so loudly when all of my favs came through the set in AC. When I saw we got Limelight, I went ape shit crazy since it had only been my second time seeing the guys, and it was my first time seeing that song... I went crazy aswell when Bravado came around, because that told me we were going to get SET A and I had seen Set B in Philly. This one guy that was in the row in front of me and like 7 seats down turned around during Bravado and had a question of what album it was from. He didn't go to anyone else, just the ecstatic young rush fan. I was so loud and the father and so in front of me were jamming out just as hard. I think it enhances the experience, especially when you see others sing along like yourself. I mean, occasionally I feel I got a dead stare from some people behind me because of my enthusiasm, but I wished them well in the end :D During intermission, I apologized to everyone around me, and they were all cool with it... You're supposed to be at a rock concert to sing, dance, and have a good time.
  • Like 4

:laughing guy:

OK, I have tears in my eyes from laughing lol- well, stifling my laughter!

I sung so loudly when all of my favs came through the set in AC. When I saw we got Limelight, I went ape shit crazy since it had only been my second time seeing the guys, and it was my first time seeing that song... I went crazy aswell when Bravado came around, because that told me we were going to get SET A and I had seen Set B in Philly. This one guy that was in the row in front of me and like 7 seats down turned around during Bravado and had a question of what album it was from. He didn't go to anyone else, just the ecstatic young rush fan. I was so loud and the father and so in front of me were jamming out just as hard. I think it enhances the experience, especially when you see others sing along like yourself. I mean, occasionally I feel I got a dead stare from some people behind me because of my enthusiasm, but I wished them well in the end :D During intermission, I apologized to everyone around me, and they were all cool with it... You're supposed to be at a rock concert to sing, dance, and have a good time.

LOVED seeing Bravado! I panicked slightly when I realized it was setlist A =D :ebert:

My husband held my hand during the whole song- before we were "official" and were still in the "getting to know each other" phase of our relationship, he texted me the lyrics to that song and told me he loved me that night.

We still consider that "our Rush song", and he remembered :)

So seeing it meant a whole lot to me :wub:

• Like 3

When I see them I pretty much go ape$h!t! I sing along but where I really get into it is the drums. Mimicking Neil as best I can. Not many girls seem to do it and with me whipping my hair and generally going crazy I'm sure I look like I'm this close to insane but I don't care. Hell, I'm 43 and work in a library. This is pretty much my only vice.

:D-13:

• Like 4

Omg after my Buffalo show I felt so bad because I was totally belting it out with Ged and didn't really think about how the person sitting next to me might have been bothered by it
  • Like 1

Any rock concert I'm at, I sing along. Some are with me, some aren't... I don't really care. I'm into the music, I'm feelin' all pumped, I can't not sing and dance and jump and cheer! LOL.

More often than not, There's a ton of folks singing along, just like me. :)

• Like 1

GREAT idea!! Next time, I'll bring my drumkit!! Tired of air drumming..... :NP: :Neil:

• Like 2

I sing my head off and have a great time doing it. I love it when the people around you start to realize there is something wrong with you because you know the words to all of the songs on the just released album that they don't even own. Lets them know there might be something wrong and to give you a lot of latitude
  • Like 2

I mimed alot of the words, but my throat was sore for some reason before the show even started. I tried singing along in Edmonton, but I was hoarse after 3 songs.

I don't blame Geddy for not being able to do 2 nights in a row anymore.

I love to sing, too. I am normally pretty reserved, so this is one of the few times I go wild! I am not a drummer so I am hesitant to air drum and mess up fills, so singing is about all I can do...not that I don't sing the wrong line every now and again.
  • Like 1

I love to sing, too. I am normally pretty reserved, so this is one of the few times I go wild! I am not a drummer so I am hesitant to air drum and mess up fills, so singing is about all I can do...not that I don't sing the wrong line every now and again.

Just to clarify, I'm not a drummer but I air drum anyway! :D-13:

• Like 1

I sing, but not too loud, except where appropriate, for consideration of others. I try to do it so that I can't quite hear myself unless I focus, but I can feel my vocal chords vibrate.

I mimed alot of the words, but my throat was sore for some reason before the show even started. I tried singing along in Edmonton, but I was hoarse after 3 songs.

I don't blame Geddy for not being able to do 2 nights in a row anymore.

My voice was gone after Big Money. I belted out Subdivisions and Big Money and then had to be a little quieter yet still crazy

I sing along with everything I know at every concert I go to, especially Rush. I've never been concerned with how loud I might be singing, certainly some songs I like better than others so those I may sing louder for. I'm not worried about if my singing bothers anyone around me because i'm there for my enjoyment not theirs. If a fan singing too loud bothers some people then they shouldn't go to a concert of any kind. Every concert I've ever gone has had many people singing along to the songs. That's to be expected at a rock show and if some people have a problem with that they need to get the stick out of their ass or just stay at home instead. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 4

Used to be you got dirty looks, hell even Kurt Cobain wrote a sarcastic song about some dude who sang along to each song...Last show we went to NO ONE even cared about what was going on...either they were too drunk stoned or whatever.

<<< air drummer Geddy voice too high, sings better

• Like 1

I usually just lip-synch the words, because I don't want to mess my throat up (last time I actually sang was Hershey 2011 and was hoarse for several days). My most recent show was SPAC last month, and the guys to the right of my buddy and me were in dusty t-shirts and camo hats, and sat stone-faced and seemingly bored most of the show. I thought maybe they were expecting that Toby guy, or Brad something. I dunno. But yeah, my not-actually-singing is a way to both save my speaking voice, and yet still show that I know the lyrics.