Pearl Jam is back!

Never cared for Pearl Jam. The singer got on my last nerve.

I can understand that...a lot of people don´t like Eddie´s voice. Especially after his singing style was copied to death by a bunch of less talented guys, not least of all Creed´s Scott Stapp. I became a fan just as Ten came out, but lost intetest in them after Yield. I still bought a few of the albums released after that, but found that they got worse and worse. When Backspacer came out in 2009 I sort of renewed my interest, and was lucky to catch them live twice since then. They played in Perth at a stadium which was at walking distance from my apartment! And they have turned into a modern-day Grateful Dead, with unpredictable setlists, very long shows and a great atmosphere during the concerts. Eddie does his best to make each concert count. His between-song banter refers to things that are specific for every place, which I find quite cool as well.

That was me.

I was a huge fan after Ten and Vs. Then I was meh on Vitalogy. No Code was cool and Yield was the last album I enjoyed. Binaural was such a steaming pile of crap.....I was totally turned off....and I also got really tired of Vedders vocal approach....it got under my skin. I loved them live. Saw them 4 times (including their first tour on Ten) but then made a mistake in seeing them on the Binaural tour. I figured...hey I hate that record...but I love them live.

My wife and I ended up walking out on them 45 minutes into the show. It was awful....just awful. A bad night indeed for the band....standing around for literally 1-2 minutes between songs....deciding what to play....it was so unprofessional. I lost touch with the direction they went in.

They have rabid, loyal fans....but their music has never expanded or gone to the heights I had envisioned after Ten...which is by far (and it's not even close) their best album. So when your debut ends up being your best......for me it meant they went backwards...not forward.

I thought they would become bigger and more expansive....but instead they wanted to be like Neil Young and what not.

I thought they had much bigger musical potential.

They evolved into something that is not my cup of tea.

Porcupine Tree on the other hand..........

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

"Binaural was such a steaming pile of crap.....I was totally turned off....and I also got really tired of Vedders vocal approach....it got under my skin."

This. What an awful album! I tried listening to it again a few months back just to see if I had changed my taste enough to like it now, but it´s still the same sh*tty sounding album. And Riot Act did not improve much.

• Like 1

Heard thier latest balled on the radio, what a waste of 5-6 miutes of my life, boaring , turgid, unorriginal mainstream rubbish that Pearl Jam excell at. Wish they had packed it all in at their hight of fame, whenever that was?.
  • Like 1

Heard thier latest balled on the radio, what a waste of 5-6 miutes of my life, boaring , turgid, unorriginal mainstream rubbish that Pearl Jam excell at. Wish they had packed it all in at their hight of fame, whenever that was?.

I love it dearly. Their ballads always tug at my heartstrings. A quite lovely 5-6 minutes of my life. I love the boring, turgid, unoriginal mainstream rubbish that Pearl Jam excel at. Glad they didn't pack it all in at the height of their fame.

But you have a good day, Queenshall, and thanks for popping in. Do you like the new curtains?

Is it "Queens hall" or "Queen shall"? This stuff is important.

They lost me after Vitalogy. They got me back with Pearl Jam. Their last three albums have all been a great return to form. Sadly, work related matters are keeping me from going to the show tonight at the Worcester Centrum (they can call it whatever they want, it will always be the Centrum to me).

They lost me after Vitalogy. They got me back with Pearl Jam. Their last three albums have all been a great return to form. Sadly, work related matters are keeping me from going to the show tonight at the Worcester Centrum (they can call it whatever they want, it will always be the Centrum to me).

Binaural was heavy going. Riot Act had its moments, but yeah, not great. They've been on form since the Avocado album alright.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

I'm more enamored with the mellower and more atmospheric cuts on Lightning Bolt than the more uptempo stuff on the whole, although I do really like Let The Records Play quite well. A bit less the first single, Mind Your Manners, but I do quite like it still.

Sirens is sublime. Truly and probably destined to be an all-time favorite of theirs for me. Digging the Vedder solo cut Sleeping By Myself as well. They just do this sort of thing very well to me. Some folks mark this kind of thing as the band having lost their cojones, and while I sometimes miss the blister of a cut like Alive on the new album, it's a different record. I don't want albums filled with simply the kind of PJ that I'm most familiar with. It's the very quality that gives each album a fingerprint unique to the others.

CD closer Future Days is probably my second favorite track after Sirens. Also quite fond of Yellow Moon and Pendulum.

I think the back-to-back block of the title cut and and Infalliable impress me least, but it's early and those may grow on me with further listens.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I love it dearly. Their ballads always tug at my heartstrings. A quite lovely 5-6 minutes of my life. I love the boring, turgid, unoriginal mainstream rubbish that Pearl Jam excel at. Glad they didn't pack it all in at the height of their fame.

But you have a good day, Queenshall, and thanks for popping in. Do you like the new curtains?

Is it "Queens hall" or "Queen shall"? This stuff is important.

I love you when you're angry :LOL:

I'm looking forward to picking up Lightning Bolt. I've been onboard with PJ from the start...they lost me a couple times (Binaural and others), but boy did they get me back with Backspacer. LOVED that record, in particular the more mid-tempo and slower stuff. Eddie's solo records (Into the Wild and Ukelele Songs) really got me to digging his folksy side. I'm hoping the new album still has some of that too?

At first listen, it did not thrill me. I'll continue to listen though and I'm sure it will grow on me.

It's growing on me even after two listens. It took me a few go's before 'Backspacer' really got me as well. Later PJ albums don't have the instant accessibility to them that 'Ten' and 'Vs' had.

Lightning Bolt is another solid well-crafted Pearl Jam album. Nothing sounds new or original, but it sounds fresh. They come across to me as sincere craftsmen, if that makes any sense.

Pretty nice summation of LB. It's refined and well-crafted, has some good rockin' numbers to go with the introspective medium and slower stuff. Nice overall atmosphere.

They sound.....musically comfortable and mature, but not complacent to me.

I ended up caving and getting this after all. It's still not as good as Ten, Vs. or even Yield, but it has some moments, especially on the lighter and softer songs. Their simple punk-like attack of 3 chords and no melody on the vocals on the hard songs still sucks, as it has since Yield, but at least there are a few good songs. Sirens and Lightning Bolt are my favorites so far.