I've finally come to a realization about beer....

Khan

I have no idea why I have been drinking crap, watery light beers all these years!

I have fallen in love with regular beer...namely craft beers but specifically IPA beers of all types.

The absolute hoppy taste of IPA beer just makes me go crazy...I love it for some reason.

If I thought I was actually saving calories by drinking light beer I think I was just fooling myself. The

alcohol volume of IPA craft beers is a good deal above light beers. I have found that I enjoy the

better beers more more, and actually drink fewer of them because they are more satisfying and

I "need" fewer of them to achieve a desired result. I find myself savoring the better beer for a longer period

of time instead of just pounding down the cheapest light stuff I can buy.

Anyone else?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/drunk.gif

• Like 3

IPA's are my favorite. I have a preference for western IPA's but especially love Stone's Ruination & 3 Floyd's Alpha. Can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada and Bell's Two Hearted Ale are always staples in the R. T. Rule household.

I really want to try the Stone offerings but can't quite get past the price just yet! LOL

A pint of Ruination will put your cod in your watch pocket. Potent potable to say the least.

I gotta break down and try some of that...

huge beer geek here. Live in NW Indiana and work in Chicago so I have access to lots of good stuff. 3 Floyds, Goose Island Half Acre (all other Chicago Breweries), Founders...........Any Vermont peeps up for a trade? :) Love me some Heady Topper, Lawson's and Hill Farmstead! Edited by GorillaStrangiato

As I type I am sipping on Founder's All Day IPA, first try: wonderful aroma, lots of pineappely/mango/hops smell....great crisp finish and 4.7% booze level. Try it!

I've got that in my fridge right now. One bottle left out of a six. I thought the back end was a little thin, but your assessment of the aroma and first sip are right on.

If you're just starting out exploring the wonderful world of beer, or even if you're not, becoming a Beer Advocate is your greatest asset and friend.

Everything from Beer 101 to places where beer is made, bought and sold, and drunk. Storing, dispensing, proper glassware, regional forums, the lot.

And if you get to loving beer so much you need your very own, there's a homebrewing forum, too.

Hell, I use BA to find places to drink when on I'm on vacation. Can't beat that with a stick!

http://beeradvocate.com/

Edited by pjbear05

I've been that way for at least 10 years now. I don't drink to get drunk anymore. I will have 1 or 2 at the most at a time, mainly for the flavor and just to relax a little.

As I type I am sipping on Founder's All Day IPA, first try: wonderful aroma, lots of pineappely/mango/hops smell....great crisp finish and 4.7% booze level. Try it!

I've got that in my fridge right now. One bottle left out of a six. I thought the back end was a little thin, but your assessment of the aroma and first sip are right on.

I was in Michigan last weekend and had one of these on tap at a local bar. I actually got it as one in five different beers in a Flight. Anyway, I'd never heard of it, and had no expectations about taste or anything. Usually, when I try a new beer, I'll smell it to see what the aroma is like, but for some reason, I didn't do that this time. I was amazed at the hop character! It was unlike any other IPA I've tried. To me, there was lots of grass and pine notes, and then a strong finish of grapefruit. With that much hoppiness, I would have expected it to be a Double IPA with an ABV at about 9%. I was really surprised again to find out it was only 4.7%. This is a really great session IPA.

I certainly enjoy a beer with more flavor than most of your basic domestics, but I've never been a fan of IPA's. I just don't like real hoppy beer. Some of my favorites are Warsteiner, Pilsner Urquel, Dos XX, Anchor Steam, Zyweic, and of course Guinness, provided it comes from the tap and not a can or bottle.

I'm grooving on one of my favs/staples: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. Solid hop aroma...more citrusy & piney than All Day IPA...full, bitter hop finish (nothing like 3 Floyd's Alpha or Ruination). Great 'Murican IPA. Hazy orange brew that tastes like it looks & smells. 7% booze so a little higher up on the "dick-in-the-dirt-ometer".

Another vote for Two-Hearted, one of the best IPA's out there. Hell, votes for just about ANYTHING Larry brews, it's all good.

Whenever I'm back in Michigan a trip to The Eccentric (Bells' in-house pub in Kalmazoo) is always on the schedule.

The bar I go to just got in some stuff from Upslope out of Boulder. Really digging their beers, especially the IPA. Haven't gotten to try them all, but the 3 so far have been great. Plus, I'm loving the simplicity of the can design from a purely aesthetic standpoint.... you always know you've got an Upslope right away.