Old and Broke - watch Rush DVDs

RUSHian62

I'm old (50) I've seen RUSH live in my youth, now with cost of tickets, driving far, parking , crowds and all, it's almost easier to watch the boys' concerts on DVDs. Anyone else feel the same way?

Naw, Went to Metalfest with my son last summer- we had a good time, it's hard for me to blow the $$ on myself I guess.

Well, the way I look at it, you only live once and none of us get younger.

So yeah totally worth it. My husband is 49 and we are travelling to Salt Lake City and Denver from California.

Tickets really aren't that bad. I've paid more to go see artists that don't hold a candle to Rush, don't start their shows on time and definitely don't give you your money's worth.

Besides, it's not THAT bad, a little bit of traffic, some parking fees, a little bit of a line. Totally worth it to be inside a huge room with thousands of other Rush fans.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 2

I'm old (50) I've seen RUSH live in my youth, now with cost of tickets, driving far, parking , crowds and all, it's almost easier to watch the boys' concerts on DVDs. Anyone else feel the same way?

Vehemently disagree. You're NOT old.

I'm 51.5 years YOUNG. The only reason why I'm not going to see the band for a second time this Tour is that I just started a new job, and I don't have any vacation time to use.

Whatever "inconveniences" one has to endure to see a Rush Show are worth it. Absolutely WORTH IT. :haz:

• Like 2

i would not plan a trip only to see my favorite band. Yes, the tickets are expensive, like any others popular bands, i saw every show of the band until the "Time Machine Tour", but i am planning to see the next tour. And I'll find a way to buy cheap tickets, even if it's up in the balcony. It's very fun to watch the DVDS, but nothing can substitute the experience of the live show.

Agree with the others - you only live once, you are not old, and a Rush concert is - in my opinion, and many others - a great experience that will be forever treasured and missed if the opportunity slides and there are no more Rush concerts.

As gangster said, it's amazing to be in a huge room with thousands of Rush fans. This is one of my favourite aspects of the show - talking to like-minded people, and rocking out with so many others doing the same thing. Rocking out by myself in front of the tv without no one else around is not quite the same thing....

My opinion is that a Rush show shouldn't be missed. No matter how on-top-of-their-game the Rush boys are, I don't think they want to keep touring for much longer, and would like to be able to retire and enjoy the reapings of their hard work with their families. Bottom line: who knows how many shows they have left, and I for one do not want to kick myself and say, man, I wish I'd chosen to go to that show that I'd decided to miss, because there isn't a second chance!

Forgot to add, too, that I've made my concert trips a bit of a vacation - last show, I took myself to a city 8 hours and spent a few days checking it out, and the concert was the highlight. The whole thing was a great experience, and well worth the money I'd been saving up for it - though it wasn't that expensive, as I'm pretty cheap when it comes to feeding myself and finding accommodations, like buying muffins and yogurt and bananas instead of eating out at restaurants, and staying at cute Bed and Breakfasts!

Edited by Mika
  • Like 1

Vehemently disagree. You're NOT old.

I'm 51.5 years YOUNG. The only reason why I'm not going to see the band for a second time this Tour is that I just started a new job, and I don't have any vacation time to use.

Whatever "inconveniences" one has to endure to see a Rush Show are worth it. Absolutely WORTH IT. :haz:

Glad your lazy ass is working again. ;)

I'll be 50 next week and don't plan on stopping the live shows till I'm at least 55. :D

• Like 2

I'm only going once this year. Milwaukee's Summerfest on the 4th of July will be one big pain in the Ass. So i'm only going to the Chicago show. Need to save money for my trip to Canton Ohio in August. The dvd will be out soon enough.

I couldn't go during the Snakes & Arrows tour because I was still in 17 and in high school and my parents didn't want to help get me down to Vancouver. I missed them in 2011 because of a family re-union on the same weekend as the show. This tour I said screw it I'm going to see them and that's that. I saw them in Edmonton in September and I'm seeing them in Vancouver in a month. Seeing them live is something I'll never forget and watching this tour on DVD won't hold a candle to it.

When they went out on tour last year, I sat down and wondered if I was going to get to see them again. Thinking they might retire before I got to go scared me. I missed the S&A and Time Machine tours for various reasons so when they announced the second leg of this tour I jumped at the chance to go. I am going to savor this one because this time I really know the songs and can't wait :drool: Carpe Diem for sure!!
  • Like 3

I only experienced live Rush via DVDs and bootlegs until 1996 when I finally started making up for lost time and saw them 3 times on the T4E tour. DVDs do not compare to the live experience and especially if you like CA, you should absolutely make the effort to see this tour. I saw a first leg show in Seattle and it was the best Rush show I have ever seen except for my first show ever on the T4E tour which was a religious experience. The tickets were expensive but they definitely left it all on the screen, as the movie people say. I will admit I was souring on Rush after the Time Machine tour which I thought was mostly a cash grab and before that I also hated S&A but I love CA and am looking forward to show #10 in Salt Lake City in a few weeks.
  • Like 1

Never too old, in May I saw Rush for the tenth time in Glasgow with my Dad who has just turned 70! Almost 30 years to the day after sitting on his shoulders at my first ever gig- Rush in Edinburgh on the Signals tour.I
  • Like 1

You never know what you might regret missing somedays.11 years ago I had I got to see metal legends Pantera play here, and it was the only time they ever played this city. There was actually 8 of us that went together. It was a awesome show. As you probably know since guitarist Dimebag Darrell since died. I can assure you the people I know who had other plans that weekend to go camping, etc are still kicking themselves for the missed oppritunity and always will. Those guys really were pretty young, but you never know when your last chance might be.
  • Like 1

Late to this thread.

I guess I am old too 48

I have been a Rush fan from age 10 but did not get to see them live until R30.

I have not missed a tour since. They are the only band I make the effort for. What with tickets hotel and babysitter it is expensive.

I love the CA music so much and enjoyed the strings live so much that we decided to hit as many shows this tour as we could.

we ended up at 3 and wish we could do more.

DVD is nice to remember the live shows I saw but are not a replacement for the energy of live.

Edited by hcm
  • Like 1

Late to this thread.

I guess I am old too 48

I have been a Rush fan from age 10 but did mot get to see them live until R30.

I have not missed a tour since. They are the only band I make the effort for. What with tickets hotel and babysitter it is expensive.

I love the CA music so much and enjoyed the strings live so much that we decided to hit as many shows this tour as we could.

we ended up at 3 and wish we could do more.

DVD is nice to remember the live shows I saw but are not a replacement for the energy of live.

Indeed, DVDs are nice between tours and will be great to watch when it's all said and done. As long as they are touring, I am there...