Scott Weiland was the only thing stopping STP from sounding like Rush

LedRush

I like STP. Scott Weiland is arguably one of the best front men in rock over the last 20 years. He has a commanding stage presence. I hadn't heard they were replacing him with Chester. That is weird. Is Chester leaving Linkin Park or is it just a fill in job?

By commanding, do you mean that be was so drunk or high that he would nearly fall over and routinely forget lyrics? That happened at both shows I attended, and one was supposed to be the "sober" Weiland. I actually like STP and even have Weiland's first solo album (bad, very bad), but I can't agree that he's arguably one of the best front men in rock.

I guess I got lucky. I have seen them 3 times and he was great.

I got lucky too, I've seen some great STP shows. Huge fan, not eternally like Rush, but I really liked everything they did, and believe that they had great material that was not on radio too.

If it was an Rush bash, so what. Still gonna like STP, and hope for them to find a way to move forward.

I really dont think the boys are gonna try to find him in an alley (cuz thats where you can probably find him! LOL)

I though at the time STP came out they had some Rush sounding work but as time went on they entered the pearl scam arena of suck . that said I though stp was the best of the era . vasiline is still a great song all these years later . that is not easy to do .

Scott is a pain in the ass. I saw them last tour and Scott was the weak link. The rest of the band was on fire.

Too bad because they were a great band.

I like Stone Temple Pilots, but I always got the impression that Scott Weiland was more concerned with being a rock star than being a musician. He's written some good melodies and lyrics, but he's strictly a B-list rock star, at best.

"A" list talent though that's for sure. What a waste of a great voice. I respect him for his work, but am not amused with the Rush reference.

Lead singers are always ego inflated dicks. Stop strutting around and learn an instrument.

Actually the voice is an instrument.

• Like 1

The times i've seen them they were all on point...they still have a spot in my top 10 concert moments ever. Once at a music festival in my town everyone thought they we're late due to Scott's usual behavior...but it turns out they were making the decision to do the most amazing cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond i have ever seen (pretty sure theres a boot of it somewhere on the internets)...to say there's no talent or flexibility in the band is just not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzVgIop0f0Y

My memory of Scott is that of your typical shirtless drug-addicted slithering lead-singer.

It's kind of hard to be like Geddy Lee, or Rush, when you've fried your brain as much as he has.

The times i've seen them they were all on point...they still have a spot in my top 10 concert moments ever. Once at a music festival in my town everyone thought they we're late due to Scott's usual behavior...but it turns out they were making the decision to do the most amazing cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond i have ever seen (pretty sure theres a boot of it somewhere on the internets)...to say there's no talent or flexibility in the band is just not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzVgIop0f0Y

Great video, thanks for posting. He is not a virtuoso but the guy is a chameleon. He can do a lot of different things well. I really like him as a vocalist.

Yeah, Weiland wouldn't want the band to sound like Rush since that would take away from them sounding exactly like Pearl Jam did on their first 3 albums. Edited by driventotheedge

I'm interpret his comment as meaning that he was responsible for simplifying the songs, as well as adding pop and sex appeal to the band and their songs.....

That's kind of the same vibe I got. I don't think there was any offense to RUSH in his statement. I'm too young to remember those gunge years, but I don't think RUSH was very popular back then.

Well, in '93 when grunge was well-established and popular, I'm pretty sure Counterparts reached #2 in the charts (losing out to Pearl Jam's sophomore release I think). In those days MTV still played rock videos which meant Stick It Out got a fair amount of play especially on the popular Headbanger's Ball time slot/program. The Counterparts tour also had then-popular bands Candlebox and Primus as opening acts during various legs. Rush had made a conscious decision to go heavier with that album and part of that was because of grunge's popularity. It was a smart choice and Counterparts made old fans and some new ones realise that Rush could still rock hard. Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Check out Army of Anyone and you will hear first hand how influenced the Deleo brothers and especially the STP drummer love Rush.

The song "Goodbye" is a pure tribute to Neil Peart and Rush in general.

I'm interpret his comment as meaning that he was responsible for simplifying the songs, as well as adding pop and sex appeal to the band and their songs.....

That's kind of the same vibe I got. I don't think there was any offense to RUSH in his statement. I'm too young to remember those gunge years, but I don't think RUSH was very popular back then.

Well, in '93 when grunge was well-established and popular, I'm pretty sure Counterparts reached #2 in the charts (losing out to Pearl Jam's sophomore release I think). In those days MTV still played rock videos which meant Stick It Out got a fair amount of play especially on the popular Headbanger's Ball time slot/program. The Counterparts tour also had then-popular bands Candlebox and Primus as opening acts during various legs. Rush had made a conscious decision to go heavier with that album and part of that was because of grunge's popularity. It was a smart choice and Counterparts made old fans and some new ones realise that Rush could still rock hard.

Yet the album lost many fans as evidenced by album sales.

I think STP was one of the best bands to come out of the '90's. Seen 'em a few times (5 or 6 times) always did a great show and Weiland was of the best front men I've ever seen. They're shows were great!!!!

I heard them interviewed a few years ago and Scott made it clear his band really liked RUSH and he wasn't that big of a fan, which is no big deal.

Sad to hear he seems to be out for good and that crappy other guy is in.

Well, in '93 when grunge was well-established and popular, I'm pretty sure Counterparts reached #2 in the charts (losing out to Pearl Jam's sophomore release I think). In those days MTV still played rock videos which meant Stick It Out got a fair amount of play especially on the popular Headbanger's Ball time slot/program. The Counterparts tour also had then-popular bands Candlebox and Primus as opening acts during various legs. Rush had made a conscious decision to go heavier with that album and part of that was because of grunge's popularity. It was a smart choice and Counterparts made old fans and some new ones realise that Rush could still rock hard.

Yet the album lost many fans as evidenced by album sales.

The way that's written makes it sound like sales were abysmal. And they really weren't. Check out the info on Wikipedia or wherever if you don't believe. Besides, the gigs during the Counterparts tour did seem livelier when compared to the Presto and RTB tours