It's Saturday Night And I'm "HIGH 'N DRY!" "Back In Black" By AC/DC Is BETTER? NO WAY!

"HIGH 'N DRY" VS. "BACK IN BLACK"  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which album kicks the most hard rock ass in your kick ass hard rock mind?

• "High 'N Dry" Def Leppard
    • "Back In Black" AC/DC
    • None of these early Eighties records!! The Rush Forum has been taken over by MUSE Fanatics!

if you're really looking for thought-provoking lyrics in early 80s hard rock albums, you've got problems

No, good hard rock lyrics were out there. For starters, maybe you've heard of this band called "Rush." "Metallica" is the name of another.

Even most of the Hair Bands, while not stellar in the Lyric Department, had better lyrics than ACDC, whose approach to lyric writing seemed to be "which words rhyme with each other?" more than anything involving IDEAS.

I just dont get why people even consider the lyrics when discussing this type of music. it's about the music...

Lyrics are as much as HALF of a song! If the lyrics aren't a consideration, why were they put there? Why isn't ACDC an instrumental rock band??

But if you want to totally ignore rock lyrics, fine. The music of ACDC, as I said before, comes down to this: every song sounds alike! And none of the music is particularly complex.

if they wrote a song about socrates you'd still hate them because you think they sound like shit

If the music remained the same, yes, I probably would still hate them... but by improving the lyrics, they'd have gained my respect for at least improving one-half of the MUSIC AND LYRICS (the lyrics part). As they are, both the music AND the lyrics suck, in my opinion. I hear nothing to like.

ACDC is just a simple hard rock band - the kind of "party band" which gives its audience an excuse to go to a concert and drink a six pack. (Again, even fans of the band have agreed with this opinion I have of them.) If that's all you want from a musical act, more power to you. I want more.

Edited by GeddyRulz

if you're really looking for thought-provoking lyrics in early 80s hard rock albums, you've got problems

No, good hard rock lyrics were out there. For starters, maybe you've heard of this band called "Rush." "Metallica" is the name of another.

Even most of the Hair Bands, while not stellar in the Lyric Department, had better lyrics than ACDC, whose approach to lyric writing seemed to be "which words rhyme with each other?" more than anything involving IDEAS.

I just dont get why people even consider the lyrics when discussing this type of music. it's about the music...

Lyrics are as much as HALF of a song! If the lyrics aren't a consideration, why were they put there? Why isn't ACDC an instrumental rock band??

But if you want to totally ignore rock lyrics, fine. The music of ACDC, as I said before, comes down to this: every song sounds alike! And none of the music is particularly complex.

if they wrote a song about socrates you'd still hate them because you think they sound like shit

If the music remained the same, yes, I probably would still hate them... but by improving the lyrics, they'd have gained my respect for at least improving one-half of the MUSIC AND LYRICS (the lyrics part). As they are, both the music AND the lyrics suck, in my opinion. I hear nothing to like.

ACDC is just a simple hard rock band - the kind of "party band" which gives its audience an excuse to go to a concert and drink a six pack. (Again, even fans of the band have agreed with this opinion I have of them.) If that's all you want from a musical act, more power to you. I want more.

ok I didn't expect a healthcare bill as a response, hold on lemme get my reading glasses and I'll respond

• Like 1

I have to give a tip of the hat to Def Leppard on this one.

They just sound so hungry on this album.

I can listen to it a thousand times and never grow tired of it.

Classic.

this. I have grown tired of Back In Black but I still love to rock out to High N Dry.

Im really shocked at anyone comparing the two bands....they come from completely different mindsets. I've never even thought to compare them. How bout we do Poison vs. Metallica next?.. Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

yeah hard to argue this shit

In High School, back in the 80s, you wouldnt DARE compare Def Leppard to the mighty AC/DC...

• Like 1

These two albums are my favorite from each band and I actually like them about the same.. But def leopard is a much better and more interesting band in my opinion.. I don't have much use for AC/DC. Good band but kinda boring after a while..

I don't have much use for AC/DC. Good band but kinda boring after a while..

Yes, kinda boring after awhile. Because once you've heard one song by them, you've heard their whole catalog.

AC/DC make me tap my feet, and smile. Riff machines. Puerile lyrics perhaps, but as Scots/Australian working class lads, they wrote about what they saw and did.

Rhythmically, yes, it's pretty rudimentary, but the riffs and licks Malcolm & Angus lay over these foundation blocks makes the songs very special.

Def Leppard were fine when they had Mutt Lange as the puppetmaster, they've sucked monkey balls since he stopped producing them. Says a lot about them.

I also love high-falutin' prog-rock, jazz & classical music. And I can read!!! Whoda thunk it? Sometimes I hardly have the time what with all the partying and the imbibing of the six-packs, and guffawing at lines like "she told me to come, but I was already there", but I do try. :eyeroll:

• Like 2

I've always felt Bon Scott was a solid lyricist . Down and dirty street poetry.

the dude was real, and anyone who writes him off as a "party" lyricist clearly hasn't heard anything besides radio hits

• Like 1

AC/DC make me tap my feet, and smile. Riff machines. Puerile lyrics perhaps, but as Scots/Australian working class lads, they wrote about what they saw and did.

Rhythmically, yes, it's pretty rudimentary, but the riffs and licks Malcolm & Angus lay over these foundation blocks makes the songs very special.

Def Leppard were fine when they had Mutt Lange as the puppetmaster, they've sucked monkey balls since he stopped producing them. Says a lot about them.

I also love high-falutin' prog-rock, jazz & classical music. And I can read!!! Whoda thunk it? Sometimes I hardly have the time what with all the partying and the imbibing of the six-packs, and guffawing at lines like "she told me to come, but I was already there", but I do try. :eyeroll:

Oh, lowly peasant, you clearly are not in possession of the staggering intellect of GeddyRulz...sip on the fizzy bread you poor simpletons refer to as "beer" while GeddyRulz and myself discuss Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and other philosophical masterpieces which you clearly would not have the ability to read...

• Like 1

Oh, lowly peasant, you clearly are not in possession of the staggering intellect of GeddyRulz...sip on the fizzy bread you poor simpletons refer to as "beer" while GeddyRulz and myself discuss Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and other philosophical masterpieces which you clearly would not have the ability to read...

I like motorcycles.

• Like 1

I like motorcycles.

:laughing guy:

Im really shocked at anyone comparing the two bands....they come from completely different mindsets. I've never even thought to compare them. How bout we do Poison vs. Metallica next?..

Hey, that's a great idea!!!!

Poison would get my vote - another no brainer. The only Metallica album I can even remotely tolerate is the black album (plus 1 other song - their remake of "Turn the Page", although the original is way, way better). Plus I have no interest in seeing them live, just not to my taste.

Poison on the other had has done some songs that are darn good, plus they rock live. I have seen them live 4 times and they have always been real good. Their "LIve, Raw & Uncut" DVD really rocks. One good song after another.

Im really shocked at anyone comparing the two bands....they come from completely different mindsets. I've never even thought to compare them. How bout we do Poison vs. Metallica next?..

Hey, that's a great idea!!!!

Poison would get my vote - another no brainer. The only Metallica album I can even remotely tolerate is the black album (plus 1 other song - their remake of "Turn the Page", although the original is way, way better). Plus I have no interest in seeing them live, just not to my taste.

Poison on the other had has done some songs that are darn good, plus they rock live. I have seen them live 4 times and they have always been real good. Their "LIve, Raw & Uncut" DVD really rocks. One good song after another.

:eh:
  • Like 1

I've always felt Bon Scott was a solid lyricist . Down and dirty street poetry.

the dude was real, and anyone who writes him off as a "party" lyricist clearly hasn't heard anything besides radio hits

As real as they come. The dude lived the lifestyle to the fullest.

• Like 2