Headlong Flight: Does it crack your top 5 favorite Rush songs?

Tombstone Mountain

Nope, not even close, The Anarchist breaks my top ten though.
  • Like 1

I don't know if its in my top 5 all time... but it's easily in my top 5 of the last few albums although those would be Far Cry and then four from Clockwork. I'm in my late 40s and have been listening to Rush since I was about 13 years old. In high school I was in a band that mostly played Rush covers (without a singer!) and if Headlong Flight had been out back then we would have been all over it. It's just such a great Rush song...
  • Like 1

Absolutely not, its a fun and nostalgic kinda jammin thing for me.. I actually enjoy the rush of it when its on but doesnt even make my top 5 on the album to be honest.

Caravan bu2b and CA are the band at their brilliant best.. HF's a very good worthwhile rocker

Isn't Headlong Flight THE rocker from the band's catalog?

Reading these posts makes me think most consider HF garden variety Rush.

The song most certainly isn't that. But it really speaks to how great their catalog is when something as good as Headlong Flight is doesn't crack a lot of people's top five Rush tunes. I wouldn't take it as a knock on the song at all. It's just gives you more of an idea of how awesome Rush's career output has been that a good majority of us don't rate Headlong Flight higher. It's not even my favorite song on the album. That goes to the title track and The Anarchist.

• Like 1

Awesome, awesome song live and I LOVE to listen to it on the treadmill but The Anarchist is my top Clockwork Angels fav.
  • Like 1

The song most certainly isn't that. But it really speaks to how great their catalog is when something as good as Headlong Flight is doesn't crack a lot of people's top five Rush tunes. I wouldn't take it as a knock on the song at all. It's just gives you more of an idea of how awesome Rush's career output has been that a good majority of us don't rate Headlong Flight higher. It's not even my favorite song on the album. That goes to the title track and The Anarchist.

Bingo! I think Headlong Flight is great, but I can say that for probably 60-70 other Rush songs, and not everything can be top 5.

• Like 1

The title track is my favorite hands down from CA...HF hangs with the best of the band's all out rockers—gotta be at the top. What else is there? It seems sacriledge to compare it to the classics of yesteryear, but the song is really uncomparable—Rush has never kicked it in the ass this much.

Great song....yes. Top 5? No. It's not better than Natural Science, YYZ, La Villa, Time And Motion, or Bytor & The Snowdog. It may crack the top 10 on a good day.
  • Like 1

Great song....yes. Top 5? No. It's not better than Natural Science, YYZ, La Villa, Time And Motion, or Bytor & The Snowdog. It may crack the top 10 on a good day.

You would rather listen to YYZ than HF at this point of the game? Interesting...

Time and Motion? OH MY GOD.

You would rather listen to YYZ than HF at this point of the game? Interesting...

He didn't say that.

Besides, just because some songs might be overplayed, that doesn't make them any less great.

He didn't say that.

Besides, just because some songs might be overplayed, that doesn't make them any less great.

Time and Motion ROCKS! Alex's solo is epic in that song. :haz:

• Like 1

It would depend on my mood. HF certainly is more fresh at this point.

I think the fair way to ask this question is, if you could only listen to one of the two songs forever more...which would it be. If that is the case, then I pick YYZ, in a heartbeat.

I can appreciate the energy of it, and what Neil is expressing in the lyrics, but it's nowhere near top 5. In terms of heavy, contemporary sounding Rush, Peaceable Kingdom is my choice.

I love PK...heavy yes, classic no. Would love to see it live
  • Like 1

It's a great song that is in my top 5 for the last 20 years, but not top 20 for all time. I think. Yet. Maybe.

He didn't say that.

I have never hidden my hatred for Time and Motion. I can count on one hand the number of Rush songs I actually dislike, and Time and Motion is one of them. The music rocks, sure, but the vocal melodies are atrocious, and that keyboard sound is so awful.

Edited by The K Man

It's not in my top 5 from Clockwork Angels. Which isn't a rip on HLF, it's a good song. But so much of CA is just killer (CA, 7COG, Caravan, BU2B, Anarchist... :notworthy: ) , plus Rush having 18 previous albums loaded with gems (Show Don't Tell, T4E, OLV, YYZ, Something For Nothing and on and on and on and... :cool: ) makes cracking my top 5 a huuuge task.

Not that I could ever list a top 5... it would change daily, if not hourly :huh: :LOL:

• Like 1

He didn't say that.

I have never hidden my hatred for Time and Motion. I can count on one hand the number of Rush songs I actually dislike, and Time and Motion is one of them. The music rocks, sure, but the vocal melodies are atrocious, and that keyboard sound is so awful.

Luuurve T&M, can't get enough Rush quirk, more MORE! :rush:

Nope, not even close, The Anarchist breaks my top ten though.

My enthusiasm for CA overall has definitely dropped over the past year, but the Anarchist is brilliant, and also holds a very high ranking for me. Tremendous song.

C'mon dude, Headlong Flight is way more listenable and epic than Time and Motion...and I love that song. Gotta be honest that song doesn't even enter my top 20. Good song though. I love the arrangment. But to be fair, it's your top five. Enjoy dear sir!
  • Like 1