most UNDERRATED guitarists in rock

bathory

I've always been a big fan of the underrated Steve Rothery. It's unfortunate that he plays in a band who's singer is so bad he literally ERASES any greatness Rothery creates.

I was going to like this comment, but then I read the second sentence.

he'll have to clarify whether he's talking about fish or hogarth, then I'll like it

I'm pretty certain he's talking about Hogarth. I think he's expressed his hatred towards modern h-era Marillion previously.

While I love his voice, I could see why other wouldn't like him. But I don't understand how anyone can hate him so much that you can't even put aside the vocals and enjoy the music. I can't imagine being so turned off by his voice that you can't even enjoy Rothery's playing in a song like Easter, for example. :huh: But, to each their own.

Go on argue amongst yourselves you Marillion fans, I need more entertainment like this! :popcorn: :madra: :nya nya: :hi:

I'm sure there's at least 20 Fish vs Hogarth threads on here for you to read if you're bored! :P

I've always been a big fan of the underrated Steve Rothery. It's unfortunate that he plays in a band who's singer is so bad he literally ERASES any greatness Rothery creates.

I was going to like this comment, but then I read the second sentence.

he'll have to clarify whether he's talking about fish or hogarth, then I'll like it

I'm pretty certain he's talking about Hogarth. I think he's expressed his hatred towards modern h-era Marillion previously.

While I love his voice, I could see why other wouldn't like him. But I don't understand how anyone can hate him so much that you can't even put aside the vocals and enjoy the music. I can't imagine being so turned off by his voice that you can't even enjoy Rothery's playing in a song like Easter, for example. :huh: But, to each their own.

Go on argue amongst yourselves you Marillion fans, I need more entertainment like this! :popcorn: :madra: :nya nya: :hi:

I'm sure there's at least 20 Fish vs Hogarth threads on here for you to read if you're bored! :P

:banana: :givebeer: :clap:

Some of you guys may think I'm crazy, but I'm nominating Gary Richrath of REO Speedwagon. Yeah I know, REO. But seriously he killed it before Cronin killed the band by going too schmaltzy. Check this live work out starting at 3:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se3O2vHG1So

and this starting at 4:38:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9IW3QRxH24

I don't. I think he's great. As are REO Speedwagon.

Excellent choice RNB, hardly crazy. A fantastic player that gets sweet FA attention, now he does! :ebert:

I'm gonna say Peter Frampton. The guy is a first rate player, who got reduced to a teen idol after following up the classic "Frampton Comes Alive" with a cheesy film role in Sgt. Pepper with the BeeGees. Not a great songwriter, but a solid player with great tone.

He's not doing much these days, but John Christ from Danzig.

Excellent pick! The first four albums are amazing and John never gets any credit.

The reason John Christ doesn't get any credit is because Glen Danzig wrote everything on the first four albums. Yes, John did a great job with bringing the music to life but it's hard to get credit of any kind when you don't write the material you perform.

Glenn wrote everything for all his bands. To me it doesn't matter that John didn't write- all those leads are his and he deserves some credit.

I think it's selling everyone else in the band short to not give them credit. I know Glenn acts like he came up with every little part, and I love him, but the guy's full of shit. There's a reason those first four albums are miles ahead of the rest.

Absolutely! The original lineup had a great chemistry and those records show it. Deth Red Sabaoth does come close though imo.

Thurston Moore

Jeff Tweedy

Scotty Moore

J Mascis

Great picks!

This is going to sound absurd, but I actually prefer Tweedy to Cline, at least in the soloing department. Tweedy's solos typically come packaged in exceptional tone. And speaking of Jeff Tweedy and exceptional tone, Gary Louris is vastly underrated in my book.

I'm a huge Dinosaur Jr fan as well. Mascis is incredibly sloppy live, but I think that is more a nod on his part to his punk rock roots than it is indicative of a talent deficiency. His solos are always intensely melodic and memorable.

Finally, good call on Thurston Moore, who deserves mention for his innovative skills and influence on countless indie rockers. And of course we shouldn't mention Moore without Lee Renaldo, right? Renaldo was sort of Moore's mad scientist foil...

• Like 3

Thurston Moore

Jeff Tweedy

Scotty Moore

J Mascis

Great picks!

This is going to sound absurd, but I actually prefer Tweedy to Cline, at least in the soloing department. Tweedy's solos typically come packaged in exceptional tone. And speaking of Jeff Tweedy and exceptional tone, Gary Louris is vastly underrated in my book.

I'm a huge Dinosaur Jr fan as well. Mascis is incredibly sloppy live, but I think that is more a nod on his part to his punk rock roots than it is indicative of a talent deficiency. His solos are always intensely melodic and memorable.

Finally, good call on Thurston Moore, who deserves mention for his innovative skills and influence on countless indie rockers. And of course we shouldn't mention Moore without Lee Renaldo, right? Renaldo was sort of Moore's mad scientist foil...

Good too see I'm not alone here ;) I personally love Nels, not only because I've had the chance to speak with him, but because he's such an innovator when it comes to playing! I owe so much to him, and Tweedy on the way they structure their songs!

With J, again, he's almost always overlooked. But him, Nels, Renaldo, Moore, and Tweedy should all be mentioned at once do to their different (and somewhat recognizable) playing styles.

Scotty Moore was the man behind Elvis IMO, and basically helped create Rock n' Roll.

Edited by default236
  • Like 3

Thurston Moore

Jeff Tweedy

Scotty Moore

J Mascis

Great picks!

I've seen dino jr twice, last time I saw them you could hardly hear j's vocals because his guitar was so loud. great show though

• Like 2

townshend is not at all underrated I think, is there anyone who doesn't think he's a great musician?

definitely agree with your first 3 picks though, especially steve hillage

Since he was called "the greatest guitarist you've never heard of", I have to mention Roy Buchanan. He played every style and every speed. Crazy talented.

I also have a special place in my heart for Randy Jackson (of Zebra).

townshend is not at all underrated I think, is there anyone who doesn't think he's a great musician?

definitely agree with your first 3 picks though, especially steve hillage

I just think Townsend seems to go under the radar when great Rock guitarists are mentioned , I`ve always been knocked out by him when I`ve seen him live .

A Steve Hillage fan !

I think we have a lot in common . :D

• Like 2

Since he was called "the greatest guitarist you've never heard of", I have to mention Roy Buchanan. He played every style and every speed. Crazy talented.

The video is horrible...but the playing is :notworthy: