most UNDERRATED guitarists in rock

bathory

townshend is not at all underrated I think, is there anyone who doesn't think he's a great musician?

definitely agree with your first 3 picks though, especially steve hillage

I just think Townsend seems to go under the radar when great Rock guitarists are mentioned , I`ve always been knocked out by him when I`ve seen him live .

A Steve Hillage fan !

I think we have a lot in common . :D

did you ever see gong live?

townshend is not at all underrated I think, is there anyone who doesn't think he's a great musician?

definitely agree with your first 3 picks though, especially steve hillage

I just think Townsend seems to go under the radar when great Rock guitarists are mentioned , I`ve always been knocked out by him when I`ve seen him live .

A Steve Hillage fan !

I think we have a lot in common . :D

did you ever see gong live?

I did it was about 2 years ago . :D

As Steve Hillage had recorded a new album with them and of course toured with them .

Support band .

The Steve Hillage band . :smoke:

And I have news !

In the latest Prog Mag there is an interview with Steve .

He`s recorded a new album and guess what !

He`s touring at the begining of next year .

They said tickets go on sale tomorrow . 31st of June .

The Manchester Ritz . March . :cool: I will be there , barring a sell out .

Heres a photo I took .

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/coxy2112/IMG_0429.jpg

Edited by By Tor

I'm into djent, and with that said, Javier Reyes of Animals As Leaders is very underrated being under the shadow of someone like Tosin Abasi. Edited by default236

I'm into djent, and with that said, Javier Reyes of Animals As Leaders is very underrated being under the shadow of someone like Tosin Abasi.

animals as leaders is one of the only bands in the so-called "djent" genre I enjoy

• Like 1

Danny Gatton

He is underrated by the general music world, in guitar circles he's well known as the MAN though.

As for me I couldn't really put someone like Danny forward when I've owned albums like 88 Elmira Street, Crusin' Deuces and New York Stories for 20 years or more, he's a well known old geezer to me...

• Like 1

what other prog greats have you seen?

That is a question bathroy !

My first ever gig was a cold Febuary in 1978 and the band was called Rush .

Since that night I got addicted to gigs , mainly Rock gigs and most of all Prog Bands . :cool:

Pink Floyd , first time The Wall Earls Court 1980 . Yes, many times , Uriah Heep , Barclay James Harvest , Asia, Radiohead , Flaming Lips , Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield , Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters . Jon Anderson , Rick Wakeman together and solo .

I like a bit of Prog . :D

• Like 1

I also have a special place in my heart for Randy Jackson (of Zebra).

:cheers:

Yes! Being from New Orleans I remember Zebra from long ago. I was in junior high when they were popular. :cool:

Since that night I got addicted to gigs , mainly Rock gigs and most of all Prog Bands . :cool:

Pink Floyd , first time The Wall Earls Court 1980 . Yes, many times , Uriah Heep , Barclay James Harvest , Asia, Radiohead , Flaming Lips , Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield , Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters . Jon Anderson , Rick Wakeman together and solo .

quite a diverse taste, nice

quite a diverse taste, nice

so far the only prog bands I've seen are rush 3 times and yes once

I've really been enjoying Jerry Harrison lately. He's not a shredder, but his lines are so quirky and so funky. Some of his phrases and voicings are just delightful. Remain in Light, Fear of Music - stellar guitar work and I rarely see him recognized for his playing.

http://youtu.be/ilcD1fHcGB0

• Like 2

I haven't read any of the preceding pages some forgive me if this has been put out there already: PRINCE

Dude is a music genius and a superb guitarist. I've seen him shred, lay down the funk, and play the blues. Endlessly listenable

I haven't read any of the preceding pages some forgive me if this has been put out there already: PRINCE

Dude is a music genius and a superb guitarist. I've seen him shred, lay down the funk, and play the blues. Endlessly listenable

I've never heard anyone underrate Prince. I think he's generally acknowledged as a superb multi-instrumentalist, guitar included, even by those who don't care for his music. I really like Prince.

• Like 2

I've never heard anyone underrate Prince. I think he's generally acknowledged as a superb multi-instrumentalist, guitar included, even by those who don't care for his music. I really like Prince.

and Prince loves you CG...I loved it when he got his freak on during his superbowl performance...waaaayyy out there and badass.
  • Like 1

and Prince loves you CG...I loved it when he got his freak on during his superbowl performance...waaaayyy out there and badass.

:blush: Yes, he's always been stellar whenever I've seen him perform (I've never been to one of his shows).

We probably need to stop talking about him now, or we'll get sued and he will pursue an injunction against this thread. ;)

Dave Gregory

He's wonderful. Do you listen to Big Big Train and Tin Spirits?

I recently purchased Big Big Train English Electric (Part One) and I like it very much. Very Genesis. My favorite song, so far, is "Hedgerow".

Tin Spirits is next.

XTC is one of my favorite bands ever and recently I've re-discovered how fabulous Dave Gregory is - I think the man can play anything on the guitar. He compliments every song he plays on perfectly. He so good you don't realize how good he is.