most UNDERRATED guitarists in rock

bathory

husker du and sugar, good stuff

:yes: Even Bob's solo stuff is amazing. :finbar:

never heard his solo shit, I heard he's doing some electronic shit now or something, not really sure though

Check out Silver Age, his latest from last year. You will like it. He has ditched the electronic that he was doing a few years ago.

husker du and sugar, good stuff

:yes: Even Bob's solo stuff is amazing. :finbar:

never heard his solo shit, I heard he's doing some electronic shit now or something, not really sure though

Check out Silver Age, his latest from last year. You will like it. He has ditched the electronic that he was doing a few years ago.

I just picked up on iTunes. I know what I'm going to be listening to at work tomorrow! :haz:

He's not doing much these days, but John Christ from Danzig.

Excellent pick! The first four albums are amazing and John never gets any credit.

Excellent riffs and really tasteful solos, the guy was awesome. Also glad you said first four. I know people who think 4 sucks, but it's my second favorite after III and a big reason for that is John's playing on that album.

I always thought 4 was awesome. Lucifuge will always be my fave, but 4 might be the best imo. While we're at it, Chuck Biscuits is vastlty underrated too.

Excellent pick! The first four albums are amazing and John never gets any credit.

The reason John Christ doesn't get any credit is because Glen Danzig wrote everything on the first four albums. Yes, John did a great job with bringing the music to life but it's hard to get credit of any kind when you don't write the material you perform.

Glenn wrote everything for all his bands. To me it doesn't matter that John didn't write- all those leads are his and he deserves some credit.
  • Like 1

Some of you guys may think I'm crazy, but I'm nominating Gary Richrath of REO Speedwagon. Yeah I know, REO. But seriously he killed it before Cronin killed the band by going too schmaltzy. Check this live work out starting at 3:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se3O2vHG1So

and this starting at 4:38:

• Like 4

The reason John Christ doesn't get any credit is because Glen Danzig wrote everything on the first four albums. Yes, John did a great job with bringing the music to life but it's hard to get credit of any kind when you don't write the material you perform.

Glenn wrote everything for all his bands. To me it doesn't matter that John didn't write- all those leads are his and he deserves some credit.

I think it's selling everyone else in the band short to not give them credit. I know Glenn acts like he came up with every little part, and I love him, but the guy's full of shit. There's a reason those first four albums are miles ahead of the rest.

• Like 1

Some of you guys may think I'm crazy, but I'm nominating Gary Richrath of REO Speedwagon. Yeah I know, REO. But seriously he killed it before Cronin killed the band by going too schmaltzy. Check this live work out starting at 3:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se3O2vHG1So

and this starting at 4:38:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9IW3QRxH24

I don't. I think he's great. As are REO Speedwagon.

• Like 1

I've always felt Brian May and Alex Lifeson were underrated.

I started at the back of the thread and worked forward to find Brian May. What a creative genuis. Is there an album he made with Queen that was below outstanding? I think not

I agree that John does deserve more credit than he gets. But him not being credited as a writer on anything really hurt him when it came to people recognizing how good he was.

I really appreciate that folks have mentioned Robin Trower in this thread. Love the guy and it's nice to see others dig him as well. Seen him 6 times and he never disappoints.
  • Like 2

I've always felt Brian May and Alex Lifeson were underrated.

I started at the back of the thread and worked forward to find Brian May. What a creative genuis. Is there an album he made with Queen that was below outstanding? I think not

brian may was pretty high up on rolling stone's list, I'd hardly call him underrated

I've always been a big fan of the underrated Steve Rothery. It's unfortunate that he plays in a band who's singer is so bad he literally ERASES any greatness Rothery creates.

I was going to like this comment, but then I read the second sentence.

I really appreciate that folks have mentioned Robin Trower in this thread. Love the guy and it's nice to see others dig him as well. Seen him 6 times and he never disappoints.

I saw him two years ago and he was excellent. The show was short, but I'd see him again in a heartbeat.

I've always been a big fan of the underrated Steve Rothery. It's unfortunate that he plays in a band who's singer is so bad he literally ERASES any greatness Rothery creates.

he'll have to clarify whether he's talking about fish or hogarth, then I'll like it

he'll have to clarify whether he's talking about fish or hogarth, then I'll like it

:yes: or decline to like, accordingly.

I'm pretty certain he's talking about Hogarth. I think he's expressed his hatred towards modern h-era Marillion previously.

While I love his voice, I could see why other wouldn't like him. But I don't understand how anyone can hate him so much that you can't even put aside the vocals and enjoy the music. I can't imagine being so turned off by his voice that you can't even enjoy Rothery's playing in a song like Easter, for example. :huh: But, to each their own.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I'm pretty certain he's talking about Hogarth. I think he's expressed his hatred towards modern h-era Marillion previously.

While I love his voice, I could see why other wouldn't like him. But I don't understand how anyone can hate him so much that you can't even put aside the vocals and enjoy the music. I can't imagine being so turned off by his voice that you can't even enjoy Rothery's playing in a song like Easter, for example. :huh: But, to each their own.

Go on argue amongst yourselves you Marillion fans, I need more entertainment like this! :popcorn: :madra: :nya nya: :hi: