Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

I don't mean to tread on hallowed ground, but I don't understand the Joe Satriano love. I'm not a guitarist so I can't appreciate the technicality of his music. But as a non-musician it sounds like; turn every knob and effect to 11 and wank. He may be a great guitarist but I don't feel any soul. To me this stuff could have come from a machine.

Satriani used to be great in the 80's and early 90's but he's gone very stale since about 1992, It just sounds like the same old Satch licks and lame riffs to me since then. I know he's tried to evolve a bit and expand his musical pallet, he's done a blues album, a synth album, one where he experimented with surf guitar etc but it's the same old problem, he can't beat the tunes and solos on his first three albums and that's that.

• Like 1

I don't mean to tread on hallowed ground, but I don't understand the Joe Satriano love. I'm not a guitarist so I can't appreciate the technicality of his music. But as a non-musician it sounds like; turn every knob and effect to 11 and wank. He may be a great guitarist but I don't feel any soul. To me this stuff could have come from a machine.

He has a lot more soul in his early material than all the other Ibanez wave put together :finbar: Once he started introducing vocals he really lost the edge and became lame. I went off him fast after that, I haven't heard much from him for ages except for his G3 projects.

Edited by Steevo

The Edge

I don't really have a say in who's an overrated guitar player or not. (I can't even play smoke on the water on guitar, on harmonica that's a different story ;) ) But, this was the first guy who came to my mind when I think overrated. I don't mind his guitar playing, in fact I enjoy David Evans's guitar playing. BUT, when you have a nickname like 'The Edge', you better damn well be able to play the hell out of the guitar! And I don't think he lives up to that nickname.

:eh: :banghead:

I remember when you had to have some sort of talent to be in the music business. Good times.

Me too. I'm just afraid I'm late for the party. Social medias have made it easier to 'get out there' but unfortunately most quality music is getting drowned by mediocrity.

I do sense, however, that people are beginning to demand music that challenges them more. Hopefully :)

not in the states. and probably not anywhere, wtf kind of regular person likes their music to be challenging? that's only for music geeks like us

Good thing some of us are multiplying!

Three words, and I don't care what argument comes my way.

Eddie. Van. Halen.

'Nuff said. Glorified hammer ons and there are people who do what he does, except a million times better. I just never understood how he's held in such a high regard.

Here's where we get into the "overrated" vs. "I don't particularly care for them" issue. You can say he's not your favorite, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that his impact on rock guitar playing can be overstated. As one of those guys bathory refers to above (and, incidentally, the 1984 tour WAS amazing :)) I can remember when no one sounded like Eddie (before the album Van Halen came out) and when EVERYONE sounded like Eddie (from about 1980-1988). You be the judge if that's a coincidence.

• Like 2

Eddie. Van. Halen.

'Nuff said. Glorified hammer ons and there are people who do what he does, except a million times better. I just never understood how he's held in such a high regard.

Here's where we get into the "overrated" vs. "I don't particularly care for them" issue. You can say he's not your favorite, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that his impact on rock guitar playing can be overstated. As one of those guys bathory refers to above (and, incidentally, the 1984 tour WAS amazing :)) I can remember when no one sounded like Eddie (before the album Van Halen came out) and when EVERYONE sounded like Eddie (from about 1980-1988). You be the judge if that's a coincidence.

I like him as synth player

Eddie. Van. Halen.

therein lies why I've always disliked words like "overrated" and "underrated," they're rarely used correctly. hendrix, page, evh, etc, no matter what you're into they're not overrated.

• Like 2

Eddie. Van. Halen.

I like him as synth player

Me too. Love the Wurlitzer intro to And the Cradle Will Rock . . .

Eddie. Van. Halen.

Its sad that people seem to forget the impact he had..not just his playing, but he changed the design and concept of Electric Guitars....he defined a whole decade of playing, for better or worse

Eddie. Van. Halen.

Its sad that people seem to forget the impact he had..not just his playing, but he changed the design and concept of Electric Guitars....he defined a whole decade of playing, for better or worse..

And his stage presence was unmatched

Andy Summers

Are you serious Pat?

Now you have known me for many many years. I may be a loud mouth and a nut but I am not a bullshiter or a liar. I swear to you right I after I wrote ANDY TAYLOR Andy Summers went through my mind. I almost wrote it. We are connected brother.

Andy Summers

Are you serious Pat?

Now you have known me for many many years. I may be a loud mouth and a nut but I am not a bullshiter or a liar. I swear to you right I after I wrote ANDY TAYLOR Andy Summers went through my mind. I almost wrote it. We are connected brother.

...but you are both way wrong so theres that...

Andy Summers

Are you serious Pat?

...but you are both way wrong so theres that...

Hahaha! DD! Is someone pissing in your Corn Flakes every morning? We haven't been on the same page this week! ANDY SUMMERS IS AWESOME!!!!!

IMO Eric Clapton is indeed a great player but an average composer, so part of his legend should be revisited.

But The Edge is something unexpicable to me: the guy can't play a solo!

• Like 1

Andy Taylor RULES!

Do you have the first Power Station record?

It's heavy as fukk!

You like "Hungry Like The Wolf" when that chick moans at the end of the track.

I feel 18 tonight. I get a second chance in life to start over. I decline. Single for Life! LONG LIVE ROCK!

IMO Eric Clapton is indeed a great player but an average composer, so part of his legend should be revisited.

But The Edge is something unexpicable to me: the guy can't play a solo!

I'm sorry my friend. I only loved Clapton when he was on heroin. I call him ERIC CRAPTON.

He is a snooze fest.

I like the Edge but yeah he couldn't play a solo if it fell out of his Irish Arse!

SCOTT GORHAM!!!!!!!!

GARY MOORE!!!!!!!!!

RORY GALLAGHER!

FUKK THE DULL EDGE! LOL

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2