Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

guys like petrucci, malmsteen and holdsworth really seem to enjoy what they're doing. they've dedicated their lives to playing guitar! and somehow you all have the magical power to read their souls.

This.

"It's shredding, they're playing really fast and stuff so there's no way it can mean anything man."

This piece from Luca has plenty of originality and soul... In fact, when he isn't shredding the riff sounds worse. It's a prime example of shredding improving a piece of music.

http://youtu.be/1Gf6jtbrBGA

"It's just musical masturbation, man... It's just like, a bunch of notes. I can't comprehend it because I suck"

Here's some soulless playing by Petrucci. I mean I'd like it if it were from someone else but he shreds a lot. Doesn't hold a candle to Gilmour, have you heard his stuff? When he holds a note it feels like he's softly caressing my balls. It's the best shit ever man.

Petrucci is a disgraceful POS for even mentioning Pink Floyd in this video. Poser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/nqonCm2Jmko

Not to mention at the very end he says his piece is Chopin esque... Chopin must be rolling in his grave.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

guys like petrucci, malmsteen and holdsworth really seem to enjoy what they're doing. they've dedicated their lives to playing guitar! and somehow you all have the magical power to read their souls.

This.

"It's shredding, they're playing really fast and stuff so there's no way it can mean anything man."

This piece from Luca has plenty of originality and soul... In fact, when he isn't shredding the riff sounds worse. It's a prime example of shredding improving a piece of music.

"It's just musical masturbation, man... It's just like, a bunch of notes. I can't comprehend it because I suck"

I don't think anyone's saying that. Eddie Van Halen plays pretty fast, so fast, in fact, that Malmsteen would probably get his fingers stuck in the strings trying to replicate his work. So did Randy Rhoads. And Adrian Vandenberg. But there's a time and place for shredding. Malmsteen has no idea when and where that is.

This.

I don't think anyone's saying that. Eddie Van Halen plays pretty fast, so fast, in fact, that Malmsteen would probably get his fingers stuck in the strings trying to replicate his work. So did Randy Rhoads. And Adrian Vandenberg. But there's a time and place for shredding. Malmsteen has no idea when and where that is.

I sure hope not.

Sammy Hagar, he is definately overrated

What? You hardly hear anything of Hagar's playing. If anything he's underrated- not a guitar god, but the man can play.

It was obvious that he pushed EVH as well in terms of upping his game. Hagar is no slouch

If he pushed him anywhere it was down. Everyone knows that Ed lost the fire in his playing post Roth-era and as time went by his tone and chops became very generic and tame, he totally lost that brown sound and ended up sounding very processed.

• Like 2

and slash is only hailed as some sort of guitar hero because of his celebrity status, the guy's good but I can't understand why so many worship him

I love the tone he gets out of his Les Paul. Also, like Iommi, I think he writes fantastic riffs. And, unlike people such as Vai or Malmsteen, he plays what fits the particular song.

There's loads of people who get a good tone from a Les Paul, they're built for tone!

• Like 1

John Petrucci, fantastic technique but no feel or soul. Just beats out Satriani.

Holdsworth fits this bill as well.

I think I understand you now, no wonder you don't like Holdsworth if you don't like Van Halen. Are you sure you like guitar playing at all? :LOL:

• Like 1

John Mayer

I don't like John Mayer's music at all, but I learnt a few of his songs just recently to try & stretch myself & improve as a player. I learnt Gravity, Waiting on the World to Change, Everyday I have the Blues & Neon. Mayer's touch & technique are great, even if his music isn't. In all honesty, after studying some of his songs & learning them, I would actually say that he is an underrated guitarist.

I await the flak! :16ton:

well, I figure the argument with EVH would probably be "the guy hasn't had a good record since the 1980s! shut up about him!" but since he just put out a good album last year and did a really successful tour, I'm not really sure what people are basing it on

I think van halen might be a little overrated as a band (I never really liked much of diver down and only about half of 1984), but their influence is undeniable

John Petrucci, fantastic technique but no feel or soul. Just beats out Satriani.

I think I understand you now, no wonder you don't like Holdsworth if you don't like Van Halen. Are you sure you like guitar playing at all? :LOL:

Of course I like the guitar...got a joke for you.

Question: How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

I'm a bass player bro!!!

I'm a bass player bro!!!

Here's a better one:

How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change the lightbulb and nine to say "I could have done that better."

And just to be fair:

What's the difference between a bass player and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

And one more for good measure:

What do you call someone who hangs around with a bunch of musicians?

A drummer.

Old musician humour... :syrinx:

• Like 3

This.

I have to disagree about Malmsteen not being able to cop Eddie.. His technique and chops are far more advanced than Eddies..Eddie is the better overall player as far as riffs and being innovative, but speed wise, Malmsteen blows by him.

Vandenberg and Rhoads could cut heads with Eddie as well , IMO.

The one aspect of Eddies playing I feel IS overrated was the speed .. Compared to a lot of other guys, he wasn't all that mindblowingly fast.. It was all the other intangibles thst made Eddie so great

Edited by Xanadoood

I'm a bass player bro!!!

Here's a better one:

How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change the lightbulb and nine to say "I could have done that better."

And just to be fair:

What's the difference between a bass player and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

And one more for good measure:

What do you call someone who hangs around with a bunch of musicians?

A drummer.

Old musician humour... :syrinx:

In da pocket!
  • Like 1

This.

I have to disagree about Malmsteen not being able to cop Eddie.. His technique and chops are far more advanced than Eddies..Eddie is the better overall player as far as riffs and being innovative, but speed wise, Malmsteen blows by him.

The one aspect of Eddies playing I feel IS overrated was the speed .. Compared to a lot of other guys, he wasn't all that mindblowingly fast.. It was all the other intangibles thst made Eddie so great

The thing about Malmsteen is he was good at first, the first Alcatrazz and the first few albums he did in the 80's are all good. But later he became repetitive and self parodying as a result. There was no progression, no advancement, just more of the same with maybe even more emphasis on playing fast for speed's sake alone.

This.

The thing about Malmsteen is he was good at first, the first Alcatrazz and the first few albums he did in the 80's are all good. But later he became repetitive and self parodying as a result. There was no progression, no advancement, just more of the same with maybe even more emphasis on playing fast for speed's sake alone.

Agreed, but I was responding to him not bring able to play as fast as Eddie. That's just not true. Have you ever seen Eddie do sweeps? No. Most of eddies solos are based around blues scales.

This thread is starting to get overrated. This isn't the guitarist you don't like thread. It's overrated guitarist. I disagree with Hammett, Clapton, van Halen, malmsteen in the thread. They deliver exactly what they claim to and what most say they can. You want to get crazy? I think Hendrix is overrated. I like his songs and he did usher in a new style but his playing was really sloppy and too noisy. He isn't the virtuoso he was claimed to be. I'll be in hiding for a bit.

Edited for spelling

I chose Malmsteen, not because he lacks talent or because I don't like him (although I do think he comes across like a total prick as well), but because his style is highly annoying, cold, and completely impersonal to me. (Ever heard him play "the blues"..? Holy shitballs.) There are a lot of reasons why someone might be overrated beyond lack of talent.

If I were to choose someone based on whose talent alone is perceived to be greater than it appears or is purported to be, it might be someone like Chuck Berry or BB King, both very influential and in their time inspirational...but not really that good when you get down to chops, nuts, and bolts. But thankfully -- hopefully -- we're considering more than just that.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Sammy Hagar, he is definately overrated

What? You hardly hear anything of Hagar's playing. If anything he's underrated- not a guitar god, but the man can play.

It was obvious that he pushed EVH as well in terms of upping his game. Hagar is no slouch

If he pushed him anywhere it was down. Everyone knows that Ed lost the fire in his playing post Roth-era and as time went by his tone and chops became very generic and tame, he totally lost that brown sound and ended up sounding very processed.

C'mon TD. He was able to achieve the band's best sound with the F*CK album...never has the band sounded better. Music more focused than ever...EVH reached another plateau. Sammy played a BIG part in that

This.

My apologies if I wasn't clear about Rhoads and Vandenberg. I meant they are another two players that were easily as "fast" as Malmsteen, but like EVH knew when it was time to show that.

I knew guys in high school that could play Eruption pretty well. But there's a difference between playing Eruption and creating it.