Almost Perfect Albums with 1 or 2 Bad/Mediocre Songs

rushgoober

I can't think of any albums that I consider "Almost perfect" if they have 1 or 2 stinkers on them... "Almost perfect" would be reserved for an album with 1 or 2 realllly near misses.

For example:

Fish - Vigil In a Wilderness of Mirrors.

Excellent album... almost perfect except for Big Wedge which while it isn't bad, it's just too much of a Gabriel ripoff for my taste.

I can't think of any albums that I consider "Almost perfect" if they have 1 or 2 stinkers on them... "Almost perfect" would be reserved for an album with 1 or 2 realllly near misses.

For example:

Excellent album... almost perfect except for Big Wedge which while it isn't bad, it's just too much of a Gabriel ripoff for my taste.

I agree. It's so blatant an attempt at commerciality it almost spoils the whole album for me. It's not a bad song but it is definitely a "miss" because it is so cynically commercial.

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood

I love every song so much! :haz: Except for Picbroch (Cap in Hand). :(

Wow, really? That's my second favourite track on the album (after the kinky Hunting Girl :whipgirl: )

I like both songs, but some would argue that Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are the weak links of Maiden's Piece of Mind.

Haha bud, you beat me to it. They're mot masterpieces, but I enjoy those two also. Sun and Steel rocks!

Yeah, I love those two, especially Sun and Steel.

Funnily enough, for me the weak spot of the album is The Trooper...but that's probably just because I'm fed up of it being their go-to live track from this album.

I like both songs, but some would argue that Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are the weak links of Maiden's Piece of Mind.

Haha bud, you beat me to it. They're mot masterpieces, but I enjoy those two also. Sun and Steel rocks!

Yeah, I love those two, especially Sun and Steel.

Funnily enough, for me the weak spot of the album is The Trooper...but that's probably just because I'm fed up of it being their go-to live track from this album.

I can relate to that...if only they swapped it with Die With Your Boots On or Revelations every now and then...

And hey, come to think of it, that´s the case with a number of Maiden albums in the excellent run they had in the late 70´s - 80´s: Gangland (which I think is awesome, but shoulda been replaced by Total Eclipse - even Harris says so), The Duellists, Heaven Can Wait, Can I Play With Madness...every awesemoe Maiden album has at least one controversial song.

Anyway, :cheers: Your_Lion and :cheers: Enemy Within 77

I can't think of many albums at all no matter how great that don't contain at least one song I don't like. I'm not going to list any of my choices, though, because I don't want to provoke any cranial explosions :LOL:
  • Like 1

The Police - Synchronicity/Mother

Miss Gradenko is also filler but very welcome and soothing filler considering it comes right after the godawful Mother. :boo hiss: Even Norman Bates would hate that song. :LOL:

Well, that's what happens when they let Andy sing. It's in the same "what were they thinking" vein as 'Any Other Day'. I think Stewart sings that one. "My wife has burnt the scrambled eggs, the dog just bit my leg, my teenage daughter ran away.." Ahahahaha, oh man.

megadeth - rust in peace (dawn control)

Ah, I like Dawn PATROL.

Systems, check.. check.. check!!

• Like 1

Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos (Prophets of War)

Forsaken's a bit weak too but not nearly as much as Prophets of MUSE War is.

--

Midnight Oil- Red Sails in the Sunset (Bakerman)

A weird instrumental with horns and stuff. Not a BAD song, but it really doesn't fit with the rest of this great album.

Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos (Prophets of War)

Forsaken's a bit weak too but not nearly as much as Prophets of MUSE War is.

--

Midnight Oil- Red Sails in the Sunset (Bakerman)

A weird instrumental with horns and stuff. Not a BAD song, but it really doesn't fit with the rest of this great album.

SC is not even close to being perfect IMO

The Dark Eternal SUCK is one of the worst DT songs of all time, thus marking this album as excluded from even being mentioned in this thread ;)

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood

I love every song so much! :haz: Except for Picbroch (Cap in Hand). :(

Wow, really? That's my second favourite track on the album (after the kinky Hunting Girl :whipgirl: )

I hated Picbroch for quite a while, but I let it grow on me. It's OK.....I like it better than Dark Ages, from Stormwatch. That song gets skipped all the time.

I can't think of many albums at all no matter how great that don't contain at least one song I don't like. I'm not going to list any of my choices, though, because I don't want to provoke any cranial explosions :LOL:

I know what you mean. Majority of the time there's always going to be a little mediocrity beside the goodness. So the criteria has to be a REAL stinker or two, not so difficult then. It's a good topic from Goobs, bring on the explosions I say!

For example:

I agree. It's so blatant an attempt at commerciality it almost spoils the whole album for me. It's not a bad song but it is definitely a "miss" because it is so cynically commercial.

oh come on, it's fun!

Rush - Permanent Waves (Different Strings, Natural Science)

Sheldon Cooper, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to give up that right, anything you say, . . .

how is natural science in any way a weak track?

• Like 1

Sheldon Cooper, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to give up that right, anything you say, . . .

:huh:

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Grace Under Pressuse - Red Lenses.

Interlude, shminterlude - it's a track I have to skip. And I ALMOST included Halo Effect, but I don't skip it every time. It is a noticeably weaker track, however, compared to everything else. I often skip it.

And I love Red Lenses! Admittedly, that song and Kid Gloves took the longest to grow on me from GUP, but I got over that many years ago. The lyrics are lots of fun and it's an interesting departure for Rush.

Like BU2B2 isn't an interesting departure for Rush? Yeah, they're kicking stuff like that all the time :laughing guy:

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Interlude, shminterlude - it's a track I have to skip. And I ALMOST included Halo Effect, but I don't skip it every time. It is a noticeably weaker track, however, compared to everything else. I often skip it.

And I love Red Lenses! Admittedly, that song and Kid Gloves took the longest to grow on me from GUP, but I got over that many years ago. The lyrics are lots of fun and it's an interesting departure for Rush.

Like BU2B2 isn't an interesting departure for Rush? Yeah, they're kicking stuff like that all the time :laughing guy:

It may be a departure, but it's depressing and unnecessary to the story.

:huh:

I agree that Different Strings is the weakest song on Permanent Waves, but it's still a very good song, and wouldn't belong in this thread. Natural Science is awesome, so you definitely get a big :wtf: from me on that one.

it's pretty cool how you can determine what is and what isn't necessary for a band to put on an album...RollingStone could use you to write reviews Goobs.

King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon(The Devil's Triangle)

King Crimson did that a lot actually where they would have a great album and have one song that is just WTF...

I'm trying really hard to like King Crimson...but they made it impossible. Too many notes!!! Edited by Tombstone Mountain

it's pretty cool how you can determine what is and what isn't necessary for a band to put on an album...RollingStone could use you to write reviews Goobs.

It IS cool, isn't it? :P

I wouldn't mind writing their reviews. Have their people call my people. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

It IS cool isn't it? :P

I wouldn't mind writing their reviews. Have their people call my people. ;)

I called they're people and this is what they said: "if the Yukon Blade Grinder won't hire him then we won't touch him with a 10 foot cattle prod" Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1