Surprised and Disappointed/Alex and Geddy Show No Class

pratt53

Seriously?

Who knows? OP still has not provided any link to said story.

I found it, it's actually a legit story:

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201303/2660.f.jpg

I like the rap story...

I better not describe how Alex banged Ann Wilson had I? :eh: :unsure:

You had better describe it or else the op will be surprised and disappointed. Furthermore, if you do NOT describe it, it will show that you have no class

alex banged ann wilson?

To say "banged" sounds so harsh. They made sweet love together, and she was the inspiration for the Rush song Alien Shore. Similarly, the Heart song What About Love was about her relationship with Geddy. I'm surprised this isn't more commonly known.

Oh, ok, I might have made up parts, or perhaps all of the above paragraph.

Goobs is right. t-duck was a bit confused. It was actually Pratt that banged Nancy Wilson. The short-lived romance (or banging) inspired Rush's "Closer to the Heart" and Heart's "Barracuda". Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

oops, i got the name wrong. if i'm going to just wholesale make shit up, i should at least get the details right! :P

I always get a kick when I see people diss Rush and so many fans get o'ffended by it.

Is that similar to the kick you get when you diss Rush fans?

No, I find it hypocritical when Rush fans have no trouble dissing everybody else but when Rush gets dissed they have a tizzy.

I always get a kick when I see people diss Rush and so many fans get o'ffended by it.

No, I find it hypocritical when Rush fans have no trouble dissing everybody else but when Rush gets dissed they have a tizzy.

Alright, perhaps one member got a little upset, but otherwise its been relatively calm and civil, with a little comedy, with almost all agreeing the boys were not being assholes. Does it surprise you that members of TRF will defend Rush on TRF?

I have no problem with anyone "dissing Rush," but when someone reads a bunch of ridiculousness into a quote or two because they can't understand what they are reading, I'll try to correct them at least once. But I'll be the first to say that the rap part of RTB makes me think of the SNL sketch about "we're white boys, and we take no crap....when we do our....white rap!"

Seriously?

Who knows? OP still has not provided any link to said story.

I found it, it's actually a legit story:

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201303/2660.f.jpg

I like the rap story...

I better not describe how Alex banged Ann Wilson had I? :eh: :unsure:

You had better describe it or else the op will be surprised and disappointed. Furthermore, if you do NOT describe it, it will show that you have no class

alex banged ann wilson?

To say "banged" sounds so harsh. They made sweet love together, and she was the inspiration for the Rush song Alien Shore. Similarly, the Heart song What About Love was about her relationship with Geddy. I'm surprised this isn't more commonly known.

Oh, ok, I might have made up parts, or perhaps all of the above paragraph.

Goobs is right. t-duck was a bit confused. It was actually Pratt that banged Nancy Wilson. The short-lived romance (or banging) inspired Rush's "Closer to the Heart" and Heart's "Barracuda". Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

oops, i got the name wrong. if i'm going to just wholesale make shit up, i should at least get the details right! :P

No problem. It was the 70s....everyone banged everyone and people didn't bitch or make threads when someone didn't speak highly of disco

Alright, perhaps one member got a little upset, but otherwise its been relatively calm and civil, with a little comedy, with almost all agreeing the boys were not being assholes. Does it surprise you that members of TRF will defend Rush on TRF?

Of course not, but with some it's like we were put on this Earth to defend a rock band.

Of course not, but with some it's like we were put on this Earth to defend a rock band.

Listen dude, you make me feel like I need to explain why 2+2 is 4. If someone unfairly insults Rush on this Rush fan site, some members will need to rebut. Point/counterpoint. There are lots of Rush freaks here who not sit quietly with an over the top nonsense thread like this. As long as you've been here you think you'd get that, but hey, I guess you gotta get your kicks someplace.

I have no problem at all with what the guys said. Sounds like to guys who don't like disco, who are trying to not make it to obvious that they don't like it and are trying to to find something nice to say about somebody who's music they really don't care for. Its about what I would have said, if I was trying to be polite and not totally honest. If I was trying to be honest my comments would have been much less polite.

Of course if somebody had basically said the same thing about Rush in the middle 1970's (that their music would make you vomit) well, I would not have been to happy. Still, my reaction would be "To each their own". Unless they were specifically talking about CoS - then I could agree with them. Even then they would have to specify which songs would make them want to vomit. CoS does have some good songs on it. (Bastille Day & Lakeside Park)

Rolling Stone played Alex and Geddy a song by each of their fellow 2013 RRHOF Iinductees. Their comments, (that you can read below) about Donna Summer were totally inappropriate. You don't diss someone on an occasion like this and not someone who recently passed away. Save your anti-disco feelings for another forum/interview/time. Just really inappropriate and makes them look like total assholes, which I fear a little mainstream attention has caused them to become.

LEE: This brings back memories of a terrible period of music to me. We were hardcore rockers and disco was so counter to that. The divide was stark back then between disco and rock.

LIFESON: We’re not going to vomit listening to it now, as we might have back then. The arrangements of all of her songs are very well done, and her voice is fantastic. She was quite an accomplished painter as well.

Dude you are wound up so tight.

What are you talking about.

Holy crap man.

How in the hell did this thread get to five pages? :wacko:

LOL. I read the OP and just posted. No need to read through five pages.

Alex and Geddy meant absolutely to the late, great Donna Summer. They were simply talking about that period of music and the whole disco era and what they felt about it. They meant no harm. In fact they showed total class and honesty...as always! Edited by Earthshine

Long before I ever heard of Rush, I was a big fan of Donna Summer in the late 1970s and I still am. I also liked disco. Whether anybody likes it or not, disco was a very valid form of pop music. Of course, it did eventually go over the top, but it was fun music and people of all ages liked it whether they want to admit or not.

Me too...I was boogying to Donna Summer before I even knew of a band called Rush.

And as for their comments being harsh and inappropriate...HAHA...HARDLY!!!

I think it's pretty clear that Rush thought Disco Sucks and Geddy's shirt from then proved their opinions but in no way did they saw anything disparaging about Donna Summer....I don't know if you read everything you posted but Lerxst compliments her in his quote.

What is wrong with being honest? NOTHING. But, Americans are a bunch of pansies that can't take criticism, lest they be "offended" as if the crime of being "offended" equal that of being raped or sodomized. I like how the British call it the way it is, and will rip you sheds with their words. But, America has become so pathetic that one couldn't even understand that he was being ripped to pieces, because we don't speak proper English, anymore...that's a thread for another day. This whole thread proves my point.

Did anyone notice that they were commenting on a particular song, by the artist in question? I didn't see that pointed out.

Anyways, I'm not defending Rush as much as I am defending people being allowed to say what's on their mind, without sugar coating it, and people being man or woman enough to take the criticism.

It's like today's "country" music, here in America. It's atrocious. I loathe it. Even the Bluegrass singers know it's beyond pathetic and have written songs to that effect. Heck, some of the great country singers of the 80s and 90s have gone back to Bluegrass(which is where they came from), because the modern "country" is so lame. But, it's the most popular music in America, right now, with artists selling out multiple nights, in huge football stadia across the country. That still doesn't make it good music. And, I have become quite militant about it, lately. I won't let it be played in my home, at least when I'm not here, even though, technically, I'm buying the music, because my wife loves it.

But, I have a sneaky suspicion that the way I feel about this crap music, today, is the way y'all felt about disco back in the 70s. I think Rock and Roll should always have a damn chip on its shoulders.

And, dammit, stop using the word "loose" for "lose."

• Like 1

What is wrong with being honest? NOTHING. But, Americans are a bunch of pansies that can't take criticism, lest they be "offended" as if the crime of being "offended" equal that of being raped or sodomized. I like how the British call it the way it is, and will rip you sheds with their words. But, America has become so pathetic that one couldn't even understand that he was being ripped to pieces, because we don't speak proper English, anymore...that's a thread for another day. This whole thread proves my point.

Did anyone notice that they were commenting on a particular song, by the artist in question? I didn't see that pointed out.

Anyways, I'm not defending Rush as much as I am defending people being allowed to say what's on their mind, without sugar coating it, and people being man or woman enough to take the criticism.

It's like today's "country" music, here in America. It's atrocious. I loathe it. Even the Bluegrass singers know it's beyond pathetic and have written songs to that effect. Heck, some of the great country singers of the 80s and 90s have gone back to Bluegrass(which is where they came from), because the modern "country" is so lame. But, it's the most popular music in America, right now, with artists selling out multiple nights, in huge football stadia across the country. That still doesn't make it good music. And, I have become quite militant about it, lately. I won't let it be played in my home, at least when I'm not here, even though, technically, I'm buying the music, because my wife loves it.

But, I have a sneaky suspicion that the way I feel about this crap music, today, is the way y'all felt about disco back in the 70s. I think Rock and Roll should always have a damn chip on its shoulders.

And, dammit, stop using the word "loose" for "lose."

Dude, wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :P

I don't think Alex or Geddy said anything bad about Donna Summer.....but I will just to stir the pot, I think she sucked!...and so did the whole disco thing...ACK!

That's not stirring the pot...80% of the board would probably agree with you. :D

Just me,being a smart a$$ :laughing guy:

Edited by Motorshooter

I don't think Alex or Geddy said anything bad about Donna Summer.....but I will just to stir the pot, I think she sucked!...and so did the whole disco thing...ACK!

That's not stirring the pot...80% of the board would probably agree with you. :D

Just me,being a smart a$$ :laughing guy:

What I don't understand is why anyone would get bent up over somebody not liking disco. I usually find something I like in many forms of music so I often will not agree with a lot of people but I expect that.

Im sorry, did they say something wrong? Looks like they said what Id expect them to say about disco of the 70s. I completely agree with them too. If anything they could have been more justifiably harsh