Worst Tour for Classic Period Only Fans

I was watching the ASoH video last night (which I still love) and I was wondering how badly it must have sucked for the fans that only were into the classic period to sit through. I appreciate all the phases of their career and find myself really into new stuff sometimes and really into old stuff sometimes....

Anyway, I geeked out and looked up that tour to compare it to the Clockwork Angels tour to see which concert statistically would have been worse to watch if you did not like new Rush. I was considering anything after Signals to be non-classic period.

On the HyF tour, there were 10 classic songs out of 23 total for 43%. I considered the parts of medleys and the parts of 2112 to be seperate songs.

On the CA tour, there were only 10 out of 29 songs from the classic period, for 34%. I sort of felt like CA was ASoH2 with CA thrown in.

So statistically, if you do not like new Rush, CA sucked 20% more than ASoH.

I guess I have no point other than curiosity to how others felt about the tours...

• Like 1

Ha - that is true. I did like the R30 medley and wouldn't mind something like that again if the reason not to play the songs is because Ged can't sing them. Oh how I would have loved to have the 4 slots taken by Feedback song for something else...although I will have to say that they smoked Crossroads.

Ha - that is true. I did like the R30 medley and wouldn't mind something like that again if the reason not to play the songs is because Ged can't sing them. Oh how I would have loved to have the 4 slots taken by Feedback song for something else...although I will have to say that they smoked Crossroads.

I wouldn't trade that acoustic version of "Heart Full Of Soul" for ANYTHING :no:

I was watching the ASoH video last night (which I still love) and I was wondering how badly it must have sucked for the fans that only were into the classic period to sit through. I appreciate all the phases of their career and find myself really into new stuff sometimes and really into old stuff sometimes....

Anyway, I geeked out and looked up that tour to compare it to the Clockwork Angels tour to see which concert statistically would have been worse to watch if you did not like new Rush. I was considering anything after Signals to be non-classic period.

On the HyF tour, there were 10 classic songs out of 23 total for 43%. I considered the parts of medleys and the parts of 2112 to be seperate songs.

On the CA tour, there were only 10 out of 29 songs from the classic period, for 34%. I sort of felt like CA was ASoH2 with CA thrown in.

I guess I have no point other than curiosity to how others felt about the tours...

I can sleep soundly now!

:zzz:

This tour totally sucked if you only liked 8 out of the 38 years that Rush has been active. Although, why in the world would you bother going to see a band in 2012 that you haven't liked since 1981? I really don't get those people's mindset.
  • Like 1

HYF was my first show and I loved it! I remember feeling that everything I liked about the bands music was there, 2112, Freewill, Limelight, and the 80's stuff which I liked then and continue to dig. At this point I'd love to hear someone who was lucky enough to take in that show to make an argument that it "sucked".

With all of the crying about the current tour, which I was stoked to take in without knowledge of the setlist, I hope they all stay home this time around. Based on the difficulty in getting tickets for the tour many of us have had it seems like some people like to go only to bitch about it later. Along with the useless Facebooking phonies out there posting during the show, I really wish they would all just stay home and watch the ESL dvd and let the rest of us enjoy the best band in the galaxy!!

Just wanted to say I agree with you 100% that signals was the last album/tour of their classic period.

This tour totally sucked if you only liked 8 out of the 38 years that Rush has been active. Although, why in the world would you bother going to see a band in 2012 that you haven't liked since 1981? I really don't get those people's mindset.

I don't get it either. I've been going to concerts for over 20 years and you see it all the time, not just with Rush. Esepcially if it's a classic rock band. People will go just to have something to do or because they "used to love these guys" way back when. That's why when most bands play a new tune or deep cut that doesn't get any radio play you see so many clueless people in the crowd. Years ago when tickets weren't as expensive I can understand why people might go see a band just for the reasons I said. But with today's ticket prices? There's no way you're getting me to drop that money now if I haven't been keeping up with the band and don't at least know about three quarters of their discography. I've been there before with some shows, and there's nothing worse then watching a headline act play and only knowing a few songs. I don't have that problem with Rush or any other band I see because if i'm not a real fan then I don't bother going.

I agree. I would love to go see Styx, say, as I love their greatest hits, but I would be completely bored when they played deep cuts or their new material.

I don't know if it is the italian catholic in me, but I feel guilty sometimes at Rush shows loving the show, then I think about all the people that came to hear Moving Pictures that have to be bored out of their mind. I remember feeling that way this tour. I was really into CA, but just felt uncomfortable because I could tell a lot of people around me were bored. I was up close, too. I was irritated that people even closer to the stage were bored.

I agree. I would love to go see Styx, say, as I love their greatest hits, but I would be completely bored when they played deep cuts or their new material.

I don't know if it is the italian catholic in me, but I feel guilty sometimes at Rush shows loving the show, then I think about all the people that came to hear Moving Pictures that have to be bored out of their mind. I remember feeling that way this tour. I was really into CA, but just felt uncomfortable because I could tell a lot of people around me were bored. I was up close, too. I was irritated that people even closer to the stage were bored.

Sometimes it's not that people don't like the new album but the fact that the new material hasn't had a chance to be embeded in their brains like the old stuff has. The older material has had years and years to sink into memory while the new release has not. More people at the shows may actually own the album and like it but just haven't listened to it enough to really get a feel for it before the show. While us diehards will spin it non stop for months and learn everything before the show if we like it.

See, I went to see Styx with almost no prior knowledge of their work (I knew renegade, and Come Sail Away). Sure, there were a few other songs that I recognized from the radio, but for the most part, it was all new to me. I loved it! They completely blew me away. Same with Primus and a few other, more obscure bands. Each show was a great experience and I enjoyed all of them immensely.

I think that's the problem with people's expectations. It seems like we only want to hear what we already know. Why is that? I'd rather hear something new and different. I've only seen Rush twice and honestly, many of the songs I saw the first time, I didn't care to hear again. Not because they're bad songs, but because I saw them live already, so why again? Really the only exception was TSOR, because it's a personal favorite of mine.

I guess it would have sucked for people who liked '70s Rush to see the Grace Under Pressure tour as only Finding My Way/In The Mood, The Temples of Sryinx and Closer To The Heart were played.

That's a little less than 10 minutes of a 100 minute show.

Fortunately for me, that is among my favorite tours.

What if RUSH pulled a fast one all of us and shifted the time period of focus for the next leg? Instead of 80's focus, it turns into the 70's focus!! Crazy idea I know, but it would definitely be a large shake up and keep things fresh. I doubt they'll do it....
  • Like 1

What if RUSH pulled a fast one all of us and shifted the time period of focus for the next leg? Instead of 80's focus, it turns into the 70's focus!! Crazy idea I know, but it would definitely be a large shake up and keep things fresh. I doubt they'll do it....

Or they could shift to the 90's

• Like 2

Don't mind me, I am sitting back enjoying a very intelligent music conversation :cool:

Carry on, dudes.

ps- I love 80s RUSH most. Love every genre they have, but I'm thrilled at the possibility of seeing plenty of 80s stuff this tour!

My favorite RUSH period was from 1977 though 1989-90. This was when everything was NOT sampled. Geddy actually played the parts on the key's, Neil actually played REAL drum sets. They had the Taurus pedals onstage. Now it's push a trigger and put the show on AUTO PILOT. UGH!

My favorite RUSH period was from 1977 though 1989-90. This was when everything was NOT sampled. Geddy actually played the parts on the key's, Neil actually played REAL drum sets. They had the Taurus pedals onstage. Now it's push a trigger and put the show on AUTO PILOT. UGH!

At 7:29 of this clip, Geddy explains why he doesn't play the keyboard parts anymore:

http://youtu.be/wv_HuCLhBZs

I say, let him be with his man! :yes: :D

• Like 2

At 7:29 of this clip, Geddy explains why he doesn't play the keyboard parts anymore:

http://youtu.be/wv_HuCLhBZs

I say, let him be with his man! :yes: :D

What Geddy has to realize is that what's sampled now does not translate as well live as the original instruments did back in the 80's. Listen to Marathon 2011 compared to Marathon 1988. Today's sounds are too processed. Believe me, I love seeing Geddy rock out on the Fender but don't sacrifice the Key's classic sound, i mean he is Geddy Lee after all!