Bonnie Franklin dies

Lerxster

Posted by Donna Trussell on March 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/files/2013/03/bonniefranklin2008-214x300.jpg

Actress Bonnie Franklin in 2008 (Ali Goldstein/NBC Newswire)

On Friday, actress Bonnie Franklin, age 69, died of pancreatic cancer.

Most people will remember the red-headed woman with the wide smile as the star of the 1970s sitcom “One Day at a Time.”

Franklin had previously worked as a child actress, and on stage, but it was her role as Ann Romano with two teenage daughters that enshrined her in the hearts of a new generation of single moms.

Asked whether she knew that “One Day at a Time” would strike a chord, she replied: “As soon as we went on the air we started receiving a lot of letters. The letters were saying, ‘This is my life. This is what I’m going through. This is what my mother is like.’ And so we pretty quickly got the idea that we were touching something.”

Today, fans and journalists are using words like “steadfast” and “cool” to describe the character Franklin played. Ann Romano was loosely based on the life of show co-creator (with Norman Lear) actress Whitney Blake, also known as the mother of actress Meredith Baxter.

http://www.washingto...dies-of-cancer/

—_

RIP Bonnie Franklin. :rose: As stated, she was a red head. I had a crush on her. And I enjoyed One Day at a Time. She did good work.

I think we've all benefitted from Franklin's wisdom.

From Poor Richard's Almanac to the witty retort to a woman's question "A Republic, maam, if you can keep it", to the poignant "Those who desire security over liberty deserve neither", what a philosopher.

All that and the discovery of electricity too.

Wow...

• Like 2

RIP (but the Ann Romano character was hyper-annoying).
  • Like 2

From Poor Richard's Almanac to the witty retort to a woman's question "A Republic, maam, if you can keep it", to the poignant "Those who desire security over liberty deserve neither", what a philosopher.

Wow...

You're going to burn for this...

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

It isn't my wrath you will be facing.

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

You mean this guy?

http://pakpotpourri.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/3sv5aw.jpg

Now I'm worried...he might try a Jedi Mind Meld on me...

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

You mean this guy?

May The Holodeck Be With You.

• Like 1

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

You mean this guy?

:rfl: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Wow...

Bring it on, dork boy...

You mean this guy?

:rfl: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Having a good time in this thread? Here's my political rebutal, courtesy of Michael Reagan:

"It's time for Republicans and conservatives to get serious. The country is burning down like ancient Rome, but we're wasting our time and energy attacking Democrats for petty or nonexistent crimes that do nothing but hike TV ratings and give partisan bloggers fresh ammunition to shoot in the air."

Now would you kindly not return to stir up shit?

RIP Ms. Franklin.

Wow...

Not cool.

Rest in Peace Bonnie.

Having grown up in the 70s, this (as well as other sitcoms) are just part of the consciousness.

It feels like I've lost an Aunt who I've lost touch with over the years.

My prayers are with her family, friends and fans today.

:rose:

• Like 1

One Day At A Time was a very influential program. It had a divorced woman as the main character of the show.....and that was a ground-breaking plot line at the time.

Liked Frankin as Ann Romano. :ebert:

Lusted after Valerie Bertenelli....as a teenage boy, I was required to tune in every week and gawk at her. :LOL: She got more beautiful every year......

Mackenzie Phillips bugged me. Didn't find her attractive at all.

I wanted to beat the crap out of Schneider every single episode. What a dooshbag..... :bitchslap:

• Like 1

Only 69. :( RIP Bonnie Franklin. You were an inspirational figure to millions of girls and women.

:rose:

:rose: Bonnie.

Please tell God not to be too hard on LABT.

If the earlier post is the best the prosecution's got, I will confidently approach the Pearly Gates.

(Unfortunately, it's not.)

If the earlier post is the best the prosecution's got, I will confidently approach the Pearly Gates.

Approaching ain't the same as entering....... :tsk: :tsk:

True, but any deity that would condemn someone to eternal damnation based on a post on a forum dedicated to a prog rock band based on a joke premised on confusing Benjamin Franklin and Bonnie Franklin deserves all the opprobrium Neil Peart can muster...

True, but any deity that would condemn someone to eternal damnation based on a post on a forum dedicated to a prog rock band based on a joke premised on confusing Benjamin Franklin and Bonnie Franklin deserves all the opprobrium Neil Peart can muster...

I'd send you to Hell just for posting that painful-to-read run-on sentence..... :16ton: