Is E-mail Dying/Dead?

rushgoober

I recently came across a kind of shocking comment from some people in their 20's and early 30's, that e-mail was dead. They even said they could tell how old someone was by what e-mail service they had. Apparently my choice of hotmail really shows my age. :huh:

I researched it a bit and found out this seems to be a somewhat prevalent thought, that e-mail is dying, with the corollary that it's still used considerably in business. That one fact would seem to preclude it truly dying in my eyes. Texting, instant messaging, social media, etc., can't really form the paper trail (so to speak) that e-mail can in terms of more official communication.

Then I thought about it more and I realized that I personally generally can't stand e-mail and use it a LOT less frequently then I used to. I get annoyed sometimes that people never want to speak on the phone anymore, but regardless of that, I'm spoiled by real-time communication. I love chatting in a chat room or using some kind of instant messaging. Recently, I've even gotten into texting, though I'm not sure if I'll ever truly enjoy it as a means of communication.

E-mail just seems SOOO slow by comparison. I use it to send out communications to large groups of people, and of course it's necessary for work, but for use in keeping up with friends, I can't stand it. You send someone an e-mail, hope they get it, hope they read it, and then hope they respond, and even if you are communicating with someone who is good with e-mail, still a conversation that could take five minutes over the phone or on facebook can take a week or two going back and forth, which gets pretty ridiculous.

So what are your thoughts? I'd love to know what people think of this, especially given how old you are, etc...

I'd have to agree. My inbox is no longer comprised of a bit of everything from friendly emails to newsletters. Every email I've received in the last 6 months has been confirmations for online orders placed. Communications between my friends are via facebook or text message whether this is to organize an even or just chatter, it all takes place through those. It's faster because you know they're checking it religiously AND you know if they looked at it or not.

I think the only email service that would show your age is if you're using yahoo/aol. Hotmail, while having a horrid interface and spam filter is great for having tons and tons of throw away emails. I think that if you're still using it it's likely that it's an important email and changing it would cause problems. I'm using gmail.

It's true that E-mail isn't the go to choice for personal communication anymore,but on more of a business perspective: what other methods are there? What I mean is that what other methods are there for individuals to communicate files and data, websites to register and communicate with users, and conduct messages in a professional matter (letters to bosses, teachers etc.)? Text messages present a overly nonchalant atmosphere (have you seen the way people speak?), and facebook is... well... lets not go there...

If email does die off there would have to be some business type of service to pick up the slack, and if so I can't see if being a free service, as far as I can see email isn't going away any time soon.

• Like 1

I may eventually end up cut off completely from the outside world, then, as I refuse to re-join Facebook.
  • Like 2

It's certainly dying as means of instant communication with friends and family. E-mail still has uses though when it comes to sending files and using it for buisness purposes. When you order things online, they will usually ask for your address then mail you a confirmation on the order you made. It will stay around because it still serves a purpose. It's just a different purpose than what it used to be back during the internet boom of the mid 90s.

My e-mail address on AOL has been the same since 1996. If that shows my age (i'm only 34) it doesn't bother me. I've had no reason to change it and don't plan on changing it anytime soon. I don't do any of the social media stuff either because I find that I don't have a need for it. I don't run a buisness or rely on the public to make money so there's no reason for me to have a facebook or twitter account. Anybody I stay in contact with has my phone number. They can call or text me if they got something to say.

• Like 2

As for telling the age of a person by email service, I say that is somewhat true. Great email providers today (Google in particular) just weren't around years ago when everybody got their first email, and it's a pain to switch addresses. :huh:

I've actually kept hotmail's Livemail service, and I'm the only one I know who has it. I don't have spam problems with it (probably because there are maybe 10 of us using Livemail?) Edited by Mara

Hotmail, while having a horrid interface and spam filter is great for having tons and tons of throw away emails. I think that if you're still using it it's likely that it's an important email and changing it would cause problems. I'm using gmail.

Yeah, I only keep it because I've had it for so long that no one would be able to contact me otherwise if they only know my e-mail address. Sure, i could e-mail everyone I've ever contacted and give them a new e-mail, but I don't trust most people would even open the e-mail, much less read it and change it. Also, because I use e-mail so much less frequently than I used to, I just don't see the upside of changing it. I actually have a g-mail account, I just never use it.

Email is needed for attachments and is best for work. I would say you could tell inexperienced at working a person is by their negative opinion of email. I can't see it being replaced at work anytime soon.

Email is needed for attachments and is best for work. I would say you could tell inexperienced at working a person is by their negative opinion of email. I can't see it being replaced at work anytime soon.

From a business standpoint, there's generally a higher level of security in e-mail than something like Facebook. No one with two brain cells to rub together is going to tell an associate to go download the sensitive legal documents they just posted on their company Facebook page.

I may eventually end up cut off completely from the outside world, then, as I refuse to re-join Facebook.

Anyone who values their privacy should avoid Facebook if at all possible. They consider you a commodity, not a client, and will just gather all of your information and sell it. I've never understood why some people post every aspect of their lives on Facebook. I already know what my family and friends are doing.

Friends don't let friends use Facebook!

Emails are for professional communication.

That's strange, because I use e-mail quite often to communicate with friends and family. I also use Facebook, but I control it. It does not control me.

I know many people who don't use any social media at all. They have cell phones and they use e-mail, but that's it. They're too busy to waste time with social media, and if they did have the time, they still wouldn't use it. They have more important things to do....

• Like 1

I get emails from Amazon, and from TRF whenever someone likes my posts or sends a friend request. And from FB if someone sends a friend request, and "pokes". I don't mind them.

Can you still poke someone on facebook? I always thought that was a bit silly - ___ _____ poked you, ____ ______ poked you back...

I think any tool that's useful is good. Used unwisely it can be bad. I have a Facebook account but only have a small amount of people connected to it. I don't blabber everything about myself I message people within the application for conversation as opposed to posting very much.

You Gmail users do realize that Google sifts the words of your e-mail for advertising. Now I know it's supposed to be anonymous and automated but the power behind the throne can be disconcerting. Also realize that almost everything you do in life has digital trace so trying to avoid it by bypassing certain social media outlets will probably not make much difference.

I get emails from Amazon, and from TRF whenever someone likes my posts or sends a friend request. And from FB if someone sends a friend request, and "pokes". I don't mind them.

Can you still poke someone on facebook? I always thought that was a bit silly - ___ _____ poked you, ____ ______ poked you back...

Yes, you still can do that. Find the person's profile, click on a box with some text like Poke, Block etc, and press poke. It probably is a bit silly, but I take it in fun. :)

• Like 1