Five Sickest Scenes in the History of Film

Mr. Not

Hmm... I may have to check that one out.

And yes A Clockwork Orange is a classic

Clock Orange was removed from theaters by request of the director Stanley Kubrick after recieving so much backlash, copycat crimes...really bothered him until the day he died

I didn't know about copy cat crimes. That really sucks :/

That's the danger of glorifying violence.

That's right! Every time I watch a violent film I go out and mug a few grandmas! :eyeroll:

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. :eyeroll:

Obviously only those who are mentally unhinged will be effected, and of those only a tiny fraction would act on such stimulus, but a culture of violent video games, television and movies can certainly have a cumulative effect on some people. Television and movies that glorify violence and do it in a way that makes it seem stylish or cool can definitely desensitize such people towards violence and make it seem more of a natural extension from the realm of something they see to something they do.

I'm not saying I have the solution, as I love movies like The Matrix that makes violence look cool. The difference there is they're fighting against an enemy in a somewhat noble and understandable way, as opposed to movies that revel in cruelty as artistic expression for its own sake.

Two points: First about the Matrix; when I watched that and the story built up the legend of "the one" and the power he would wield over the physical world just by controlling his thoughts, I was very disappointed when the ultimate expression of this power turned out to be nothing more than a kung fu dust up...

The second point: It's "affected" not "effected" in that context Gazza http://www.thesilverball.com/Smileys/m4pawsSmileyPack/police.gif

As usual with your responses to my posts - SO valuable. :sarcastic:

Well now you might remember when to use affected in the right place. I'd say that's useful.

But Gary are you telling you were satisfied with the One's amazing control of the world in the Matrix manifesting itself as a simple physical struggle no different than a glorified MMA contest?

Clock Orange was removed from theaters by request of the director Stanley Kubrick after recieving so much backlash, copycat crimes...really bothered him until the day he died

That's right! Every time I watch a violent film I go out and mug a few grandmas! :eyeroll:

Obviously only those who are mentally unhinged will be effected, and of those only a tiny fraction would act on such stimulus, but a culture of violent video games, television and movies can certainly have a cumulative effect on some people. Television and movies that glorify violence and do it in a way that makes it seem stylish or cool can definitely desensitize such people towards violence and make it seem more of a natural extension from the realm of something they see to something they do.

I'm not saying I have the solution, as I love movies like The Matrix that makes violence look cool. The difference there is they're fighting against an enemy in a somewhat noble and understandable way, as opposed to movies that revel in cruelty as artistic expression for its own sake.

Two points: First about the Matrix; when I watched that and the story built up the legend of "the one" and the power he would wield over the physical world just by controlling his thoughts, I was very disappointed when the ultimate expression of this power turned out to be nothing more than a kung fu dust up...

The second point: It's "affected" not "effected" in that context Gazza http://www.thesilverball.com/Smileys/m4pawsSmileyPack/police.gif

Well now you might remember when to use affected in the right place. I'd say that's useful.

But Gary are you telling you were satisfied with the One's amazing control of the world in the Matrix manifesting itself as a simple physical struggle no different than a glorified MMA contest?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Everyone seems to only remember the hot lesbian scene in the movie Bound. The part that horrified me was the beginning when the mobsters take some sheers to a guy's fingers. "I'm gonna ask you ten questions... where's my money?" SNIP. It made me weak in the bowels.

Debatable... Art is nowhere near as bad as how the mass media glorifies mass murderers. Make no mistake, learning about their personal lives and putting them in gossip magazines is glorifying them, whether the magazine is speaking of them negatively or objectively, it's such huge attention and a morbid praise in ways. Even if that isn't the intention...

Come back to SOCN goobs ;)

• Like 1

The most disturbing thing I saw in a movie was in Andy Warhol's Bad (1977). There's a notorious scene where a baby is intentionally thrown out the window of a high-rise building by its terrible mother. We see it fall dozens of stories, strike the pavement, splash blood upward into the face of a pedestrian, and then we see it dead on the ground as a dog licks its blood.

Despite the notoriety of this scene, I knew nothing about it when I rented the film. It was shocking and disturbing. But, now prepared, I had to rewind and watch it again. I just couldn't believe it.

I won't post a link, but the scene is on YouTube. Search for "Andy Warhol's Bad" and it'll be the second clip. (The first is the entire film.) You've been warned...

That's a comedy film? Yeah, that's terrible.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I thought you'd seen the Matrix? :huh:

Debatable... Art is nowhere near as bad as how the mass media glorifies mass murderers. Make no mistake, learning about their personal lives and putting them in gossip magazines is glorifying them, whether the magazine is speaking of them negatively or objectively, it's such huge attention and a morbid praise in ways. Even if that isn't the intention...

I don't think the mass media glorifies mass murderers. They of course milk any newsworthy story for all they can squeeze out of it, but if anything they focus so much on these people because people are fascinated by what makes someone like that, and they also want to know if there are any discernible characteristics of that kind of person so they can try and ferret it out in the future to avoid it happening again (although that rarely seems to work out). It's just natural human curiosity.

And in terms of coming back to SOCN... don't hold your breath. ;)

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

I don't think the mass media glorifies mass murderers. They of course milk any newsworthy story for all they can squeeze out of it, but if anything they focus so much on these people because people are fascinated by what makes someone like that, and they also want to know if there are any discernible characteristics of that kind of person so they can try and ferret it out in the future to avoid it happening again (although that rarely seems to work out). It's just natural human curiosity.

It's an exploitation of curiosity... The readers are responsible too for responding. People have ready information on what makes sadists the way they are, they just need to go to the library. It's antagonist based news, and focuses on their personal lives, giving the a place in history and a page on Wikipedia... That disgusts me. It's hard to find a solution, and I admit that... I have some ideas floating around, but no one will care :D

On the other subject, what was it that drove you from socn? Never got the full story

Isn't that also what art is? The exploration of human curiosity.

I agree that media coverage of Adam Lanza or the aurora killer do way more harm than a fictional horror film. I would argue that the very few in society that you spoke about, that would act after seeing a horribly violent scene, would also act if they didn't see that scene. There will always be crazy people. But, the media makes them famous, bringing in a whole new disgusting element. The media doesn't report suicides unless a murder is involved. The same idea should be used when reporting on a mass murder. Report it responsibly and don't glorify the killer.

Back to topic - The 2 Hostel movies had some of the sickest scenes I've seen in a movie. There is supposed to be a 3rd based in Las Vegas out soon.

It's an exploitation of curiosity... The readers are responsible too for responding. People have ready information on what makes sadists the way they are, they just need to go to the library. It's antagonist based news, and focuses on their personal lives, giving the a place in history and a page on Wikipedia... That disgusts me. It's hard to find a solution, and I admit that... I have some ideas floating around, but no one will care :D

On the other subject, what was it that drove you from socn? Never got the full story

First off, arguing about political stuff goes nowhere. People very, VERY rarely change their fundamental views about anything, and violently disagreeing about really important issues just seems to lead to a lot of animosity and heartache. I also started to really think less of some people based on their views, and I didn't want to do that. I'd rather not know how people feel about certain things and relate to people in the areas where we have things in common. It's a lot more peaceful that way.

I asked to have my membership removed because making a personal vow to not post there wasn't working. I tried just observing, but then I would see posts that I felt absolutely compelled to post to counter certain views or opinions that I thought were insane.

Some people really love to argue and have heated debates - I actually don't mind that at all, but not about subjects that are really important - I just found it way too upsetting. I'd rather argue and debate what the best King Crimson album is (side note - it's Lizard ;) :P ) - it's a peaceful benign subject. Thankfully, once I asked to have my membership revoked I can't see anything in that forum. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. :D

There's more I could say that gets more to the heart of why I left, but I'd have to make some really intense political statements to do that, and I'm not going to go there, especially outside of SOCN. Send me a PM if you really want to know more.

Isn't that also what art is? The exploration of human curiosity.

I agree that media coverage of Adam Lanza or the aurora killer do way more harm than a fictional horror film. I would argue that the very few in society that you spoke about, that would act after seeing a horribly violent scene, would also act if they didn't see that scene. There will always be crazy people. But, the media makes them famous, bringing in a whole new disgusting element. The media doesn't report suicides unless a murder is involved. The same idea should be used when reporting on a mass murder. Report it responsibly and don't glorify the killer.

Back to topic - The 2 Hostel movies had some of the sickest scenes I've seen in a movie. There is supposed to be a 3rd based in Las Vegas out soon.

I guess I just don't see it the same way. I think reporting on the Newtown killer isn't glorifying him. If anything, it's magnifying what a horrific thing he did. How can it be doing more harm when it's always spoken about as something so horrible? Anyone who would be influenced by something like that is also going to see the results of those kind of actions, leaving families and communities shattered, etc. If someone would still do that kind of thing, they're sociopaths anyway where nothing is going to get through to them. Glorifying those kinds of acts would be making it seem cool or stylish or something, which isn't what the media does just by reporting it, although that is sometimes the case in certain video games, tv shows and movies - making violence and cruelty seem cool and/or stylish. And what is the other option - NOT reporting on it? If anything shining a light on these things can lead to actions to try and prevent them from happening more.

I was actually disappointed that they stopped short of really identifying what his motivations were beyond theorizing, although maybe that's impossible to really know. Why do I want to know? It's because the acts were so horrible that I feel like I need to understand why a person would do such a thing, grasping for some semblance of anything that makes some sense in such a senseless situation. Of course it doesn't change anything, but on some level it seems to help to know why people do the horrible things they do. Then of course you have people like the guy in Norway who was trying to make some grandiose political statement as opposed to just being deranged and insane and damaged, which he obviously also was.

The media obviously overdoes it, but they'll overdo absolutely ANYTHING that fills air time and gets ratings. Is there any other explanation imaginable why Lindsay Lohan gets so much publicity? People don't have to watch. I can only watch so much of that stuff before I turn it off once I get the point abundantly. It's the same for me with particularly cruel movies like Clockwork Orange, etc. At some point I got the point abundantly - people can think up some really cruel, horrific, disgusting and twisted shit - I just don't need to see it anymore.

Edited by rushgoober

:scared: that was brutal.. Cannibal Holocaust was the worst. :facepalm: I had to exit halfway it was so bad.

And that tells me, maybe this sort of content is a bit over the top for this board? Opinions?

I hate those kind of movies! They just go for gore without substance.

Not all sick scenes have to portray violence. For example, have you seen "Play the Game" starring Andy Griffith? He plays an elderly widower living in an assisted living community. He starts to get the romance bug and has a date with a women who lives in the same community. When they get to his apartment, he says, "well I guess we really don't need a condom do we?" but that's not the worst. When she goes down on his plumbing is when it gets sick. To watch Andy Griffith getting a BJ in a movie while in his 80's is an image I could have done without. Great Movie though, very very funny...and touching

When I was a kid I loved horror movies. I saw almost every single one that came out (We're talking around the time of Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Evil Dead). As I get older, I find I can't stomach that type of movie any more. Maybe it's because they're getting more gory, maybe it's just me.

Anyways, one scene I didn't see in here was the scene in Casino when Joe Pesci and his brother Frankie meet "the Bosses" men in the cornfield.

When I was a kid I loved horror movies. I saw almost every single one that came out (We're talking around the time of Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Evil Dead). As I get older, I find I can't stomach that type of movie any more. Maybe it's because they're getting more gory, maybe it's just me.

I could have made this statement myself, except that I didn't see almost every single movie, but I did see a lot of horror movies around that period of time you're referring to. I can't watch them anymore either.

There are exceptions, but for the most part horror movies tend to be just bad movies. Movies like The Shining, The Sixth Sense, An American Werewolf in London and Silence of the Lambs are high quality movies that happen to be horror movies, but I find those to be the rare exception, and I will almost never slog through horror movies to find the rare great one that surpasses the genre.

And then there are movies like Lost Highway or latter day David Cronenberg films that tend to have a lot of violence, but it's done to serve the story without being gratuitous just because the director is in love with violence or gore (like Tarantino).

I could have made this statement myself, except that I didn't see almost every single movie, but I did see a lot of horror movies around that period of time you're referring to. I can't watch them anymore either.

There are exceptions, but for the most part horror movies tend to be just bad movies. Movies like The Shining, The Sixth Sense, An American Werewolf in London and Silence of the Lambs are high quality movies that happen to be horror movies, but I find those to be the rare exception, and I will almost never slog through horror movies to find the rare great one that surpasses the genre.

And then there are movies like Lost Highway or latter day David Cronenberg films that tend to have a lot of violence, but it's done to serve the story without being gratuitous just because the director is in love with violence or gore (like Tarantino).

Yeah. Movies like the Saw or Hostel franchises I've never seen. The extremely graphic violence turns my stomach nowadays.

You couldn't pay me to watch the Human Centipede franchise. A colleage of mine came into my office and pulled the trailer for the first one up on YouTube. I literally almost threw up in my wastebasket.

goob you defend LOST HIGHWAY but then say tarentino's violence is meaningless??

i never said i was entirely consistent, but what can i say - that's one of my all time fave movies. no other david lynch movie comes close to that one imho. tarantino just bugs me.

3. Cannibal Holocaust (1979)

This film adapted a POV style, and while it may be annoying in films today, it was uncommon back then, this film pioneered in it. Because of this, many people thought the film was not at all fictional, and director Ruggero Deodato almost ended up with a life in prison sentence. No joke.

And there's no joke about this scene either, because unlike the humans in this film, all the animals you see die, actually die. That includes the 4 minutes scene where they slice upon and take apart a sea turtle. This scene is just brutal. One of the actresses hurls, and I'm pretty sure she actually did to, it wasn't acting.

[video removed]

Why would they videotape a scene with animals being torn apart?!?? What was the movie about?

:(