Name Your ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2012! Thanks Steevo! Rush, Van Halen, Muse, Coheed, Kiss, Marillion? ?

RUSHHEAD666

I've only purchased two current albums in 2012:

#1 - Clockwork Angels (their finest, imho)

#2 - Muse, The 2nd Law - a textured and rich melodic beauty. I love this album and think Matt Bellamy is an amazing artist.

I've heard the Black Keys. They're good, but not really my thing. I'm not really "prog" or "metal" (I have my leanings) but my friends describe me as the rocker chick. I like what I like and appreciate many, many genres. I try to stay current but sometimes it is difficult to listen with open ears.

VH - I heard and did not like Tattoo. A lot. The other tracks sounded good but I wouldn't (and won't) buy it because of the Wolfgang nonsense. I really like VH and enjoyed Van Hagar, but their time has past, imo. The new stuff, for me, - meh.

Aerosmith - I haven't really enjoyed an album from Aerosmith since Toys. PV wasn't bad (I liked Ragdoll). The new one - meh.

Rush consumed 2012 for me. Not a bad way to spend half a year. :)

• Like 1

#2 - Muse, The 2nd Law - a textured and rich melodic beauty. I love this album and think Matt Bellamy is an amazing artist.

I've heard the Black Keys. They're good, but not really my thing. I'm not really "prog" or "metal" (I have my leanings) but my friends describe me as the rocker chick. I like what I like and appreciate many, many genres. I try to stay current but sometimes it is difficult to listen with open ears.

VH - I heard and did not like Tattoo. A lot. The other tracks sounded good but I wouldn't (and won't) buy it because of the Wolfgang nonsense. I really like VH and enjoyed Van Hagar, but their time has past, imo. The new stuff, for me, - meh.

Aerosmith - I haven't really enjoyed an album from Aerosmith since Toys. PV wasn't bad (I liked Ragdoll). The new one - meh.

The Van Halen album is excellent :haz: , almost as good as the first 6 Roth albums. The guitar playing is great, Ed is really back on form. The songs sound old school and the old vibe is almost there too. The production isn't as clean as the Ted Templeman days but i blame that on general recording techniques these days, and it sounds very good anyway...

You need this album in your fanny-pack, girly backpack, or utility belt! It's essential! Go get it immediately!!! :smoke:

Already did my list in another thread, but I'm more than happy to do it again.

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Anathema - Weather Systems

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Threshold - March of Progress

Kamelot - Silverthorn

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent

Periphery - Periphery II

Mono - For My Parents

Sigur Ros - Valtari

Hammock - Departure Songs

Storm Corrosion

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Ame

Ancestors - In Dreams and Time

Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension

BTBAM - The Parallax II: Future Sequence

Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Devin Townsend - Epicloud

Wintersun - Time I

Ahab - The Giant

Ihsahn - Eremita

Enslaved - Riitiir

Smashing Pumpkins- Oceania

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Circus Maximus - Nine

Baroness - Yellow & Green

The Sword - Apocryphon

Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming

Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead

Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

Krallice - Years Past Matter

If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird

Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones I

Meshuggah - Koloss

Spawn of Possession - Incurso

Stealing Axion - Moments

Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve

Soen - Cognitive

TRAM - Lingua Franca

Trioscapes - Separate Realities

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet

Anglagard - Viljans Oga

Keep your favorite albums of the year coming! I don't have many of these!! I'm going to go broke thanks to The Rush Forum!

Sweet!

Analagard? What?

sounds like a condom brand for derriere based activities. Great band though!

Hahahahaha!! Thanks for the laugh buddy! Classic!

Already did my list in another thread, but I'm more than happy to do it again.

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Threshold - March of Progress

Kamelot - Silverthorn

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent

Periphery - Periphery II

Mono - For My Parents

Sigur Ros - Valtari

Hammock - Departure Songs

Storm Corrosion

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Ame

Ancestors - In Dreams and Time

Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension

BTBAM - The Parallax II: Future Sequence

Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Devin Townsend - Epicloud

Wintersun - Time I

Ahab - The Giant

Ihsahn - Eremita

Enslaved - Riitiir

Smashing Pumpkins- Oceania

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Circus Maximus - Nine

Baroness - Yellow & Green

The Sword - Apocryphon

Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming

Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead

Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

Krallice - Years Past Matter

If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird

Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones I

Meshuggah - Koloss

Spawn of Possession - Incurso

Stealing Axion - Moments

Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve

Soen - Cognitive

TRAM - Lingua Franca

Trioscapes - Separate Realities

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet

Anglagard - Viljans Oga

Wow! That's one hell of a list! I own many of these albums but there are so many that you have listed that I don't have!

I think I singlehandedly keep my local record store in business! Back tomorrow I will go!

As long as I am alive CDs will never become obsolete! Lol!

The Van Halen album is excellent :haz: , almost as good as the first 6 Roth albums. The guitar playing is great, Ed is really back on form. The songs sound old school and the old vibe is almost there too. The production isn't as clean as the Ted Templeman days but i blame that on general recording techniques these days, and it sounds very good anyway...

You need this album in your fanny-pack, girly backpack, or utility belt! It's essential! Go get it immediately!!! :smoke:

Excellent post mate! I will back it 1000%!

Great fukking record!!

Where is Presto?

Is the new Kiss album in his Top 5?

I liked Monster but it was nothing special!

Excellent post mate! I will back it 1000%!

Great fukking record!!

Where is Presto?

Is the new Kiss album in his Top 5?

I liked Monster but it was nothing special!

Not seen him...

I'm not sure where I'd rank the KISS yet either...

Great call on Anglagard for everyone who mentioned them! :cheers:

I can't believe only one person has mentioned this:

http://www.metalblade.com/news/images/astra_tbc.jpg

It's tough for me between Astra and Rush - both so incredibly different that it's hard to compare. The one thing Astra has going for it is there are no skippable tracks like BU2B2 (and occasionally Halo Effect), but the rest of the Rush album is often more profound. Anyway, both classics! :yes: :ebert:

Goobs, I love seeing you so enthusiastic about CA. Also, The Black Chord is fantastic!

I honestly don't know if I could pick a favourite this year. Obviously, Rush is right up there. But there have been so many great albums. Let's see here:

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

Astra - The Black Chord

Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth

Nas - Life Is Good

The Offspring - Days Go By

Circa Survive - Violent Waves

Storm Corrosion

Overkill - The Electric Age

Soundgarden - King Animal

Kamelot - Silverthorn

Wintersun - Time I

I'm probably forgetting a couple, but it's been a great year. 2013 has some great ones in store already. Steven Wilson, Alice In Chains, Tool (hopefully, maybe, possibly), Helloween, Wintersun (Time II), Dream Theater, Queens of the Stone Age. And those are just some of the ones I know about. Hope to see some surprises thrown in there!

Rush - CA

VH - A Different Kind of Truth

Soundgarden - King Animal

Maybe in that order too.

Not bad amigo! The new Soundgarden is growing me!

Do you have the Best Buy exclusive with the bonus tracks?

Indeed I do Earl. I'm a sucker for Deluxe editions.

It's amazing how so many of us on this Forum are the same and it has nothing to do with our love for Rush!

That's why I love this Forum so much.

I can take four months off, come back and it's like nothing has ever changed!

Well the Forum Format has!

Anyway if you love The Sword make sure to get the deluxe version!! Kick ass!

Many young people think that CDs are going to become obsolete.

That will never happen as long as we addicts are still alive!!!

Cheers!

Yes sir. I am duly chastised. hang head.... :blush:

Its going to feel kind of weird (I'm buying a VH album? - there's something I haven't done in 30 years). I'll give a it try, treeduck, despite my distaste for Wolfgang (terrific musician, just needs to pay some dues) and the whole Anthony/Hagar drama (damn, I wish I liked Chickenfoot better than I do).

If I could only find a way to get VH's album but give the money to Chickenfoot...

:smoke:

Yes sir. I am duly chastised. hang head.... :blush:

Its going to feel kind of weird (I'm buying a VH album? - there's something I haven't done in 30 years). I'll give a it try, treeduck, despite my distaste for Wolfgang (terrific musician, just needs to pay some dues) and the whole Anthony/Hagar drama (damn, I wish I liked Chickenfoot better than I do).

If I could only find a way to get VH's album but give the money to Chickenfoot...

:smoke:

You'll be happy with your decision. I own and love all VH, even OU812, but the Roth era is special. EVH's playing is back to the "fun loving feel" he had with Dave on ADKOT, and because Dave's appeal has always been his "feel," as distinguished from his pure singing ability, there's very little drop off in DLR's performance as well.

I saw a few people mention the new Soundgarden. I have just one question about it, how many listens does it take for this album to get good?

I've listened to it five or six times and it's a very average album. There's just nothing to it at all and none of the songs stand out. I'm guessing Soundgarden just gave in to recording a new album because the demand and money was so overwhelming. Well, they didn't put any effort into this at all and it's easliy my disappointment of the year. Keep in my that I didn't have huge hopes for it to beging with. I wasn't expecting another BadMotorFinger or Superunknown but at least something that was on par with Down On The Upside and they couldn't even do that.

This album proves that sometimes it's just better for some bands to just let the past be the past and ignore the reunion album. They can do the reunion tour but if the stuff you've written is this big of a fall off then don't bother with the new album. Soundgarden should know that this album doesn't cut it after this long of a wait and they're kidding themselves if they think it does.

I saw a few people mention the new Soundgarden. I have just one question about it, how many listens does it take for this album to get good?

I've listened to it five or six times and it's a very average album. There's just nothing to it at all and none of the songs stand out. I'm guessing Soundgarden just gave in to recording a new album because the demand and money was so overwhelming. Well, they didn't put any effort into this at all and it's easliy my disappointment of the year. Keep in my that I didn't have huge hopes for it to beging with. I wasn't expecting another BadMotorFinger or Superunknown but at least something that was on par with Down On The Upside and they couldn't even do that.

This album proves that sometimes it's just better for some bands to just let the past be the past and ignore the reunion album. They can do the reunion tour but if the stuff you've written is this big of a fall off then don't bother with the new album. Soundgarden should know that this album doesn't cut it after this long of a wait and they're kidding themselves if they think it does.

I like the new album a lot. Is it as good as or better than their greatest work? No. But saying that they shouldn't release it if they can't match their peak is like saying Rush shouldn't have released Vapor Trails or S&A or Clockwork Angels. None of those albums are as good as PeW or Pictures. I will admit to my own bias; I'm a big Soundgarden fan, and a big Audioslave fan, and, yes, a big Chris Cornell fan. King Animal is an enjoyable album. I appreciate it for what it is. A Different Kind of Truth isn't as good as Fair Warning either, but that's not the same as saying it's not good.

If you think King Animal is average, then that's your assessment of the album. I can't, and won't, try to change your view. But I'm not certain that's solely because it's a reunion album. DOTU isn't as good as SU either, and those two are separated by 2 years.

Van Halen - ADKOT

Testament - Dark Roots Of The Earth

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Accept - Stalingrad

Kreator -Phantom Antichrist

Van Halen - ADKOT

Testament - Dark Roots Of The Earth

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Accept - Stalingrad

Kreator -Phantom Antichrist

have you heard the new destruction?

If Day Of Reckoning is the last , then yes, i like it . Sounds like they did back in the 80's