Did Geddy "bass-sync" Headlong opener?

Scottjf8

What I've gathered from watching all the videos.

To synch the song at the right tempo, as well as get the intro effects, the first time through the riff (the muffled sounding one) is a sample. Geddy comes in on the 2nd one and thats why you can actually hear it. He hasn't tried to hide this in any of the videos I've seen.

What I've gathered from watching all the videos.

To synch the song at the right tempo, as well as get the intro effects, the first time through the riff (the muffled sounding one) is a sample. Geddy comes in on the 2nd one and thats why you can actually hear it. He hasn't tried to hide this in any of the videos I've seen.

That's how I see it as well. It's just for the opening riff so it's not a big deal.

It's very simple. Geddy triggers a sample of the intro riff and he joins to it on his bass, few seconds later. When he starts playing, it actually sounds like there are 2 bass player playing at the same time, because he's playing along to the sample. Edited by Sticklight

He hammed it up a couple times when I saw him, mocking surprise that his bass seemed to be playing itself.

He did this at the Anaheim show. I cracked up laughing.

Listen to the first repetition, it founds different than the second. I was under the impression that since it's a different effect he synced the first one so he could actually play the second without having ANOTHER pedal to worry about.