Superconductor

theanalogmiddleagedman

Did anyone like Superconductor before they saw the video? It came up on my iPod the other day and I remembered back to when Presto first came out and I really loved it due to it being one of the rockier tunes on the album.

Then the images of the video pop into my head and I still just can't passed it - that girl in the crowd rocking out and the contortionist...argh.

I found it to be a very solid and enjoyable song. I think that the song does a great job at describing what works. It's got a strong and simple beat and in this case it's a good thing. Mind you, I didn't quite understand what the superconductor mentioned in the song represented until I saw the video.

I like this song. I think I've stumbled across the video once, years ago, so I don't associate the song with the video. I like Geddy's singing on this one (and on pretty much all of Presto, actually), especially the second-last, drawn-out "That's entertaaaaaaiiiiinmennnnnntttttt".

This song gets a thumbs-up from me, but I understand relating songs to their videos - sometimes I have flashes of the 'Time Stand Still' video when I listen to that song!

I have always found this to be the most abysmally unenjoyable song in their catalog. I find it more unenjoyable than Dog Years or Rivendell. Most clear in my memory, and what makes it one of the most unenjoyable songs, is when they blasted into it on the RTB tour after only playing half of Xanadu. I will not soon be able to forgive them for that transition. I certainly hope that they never pull this one out again.
  • Like 1

For me it's the lone stinker/skipworthy track on Presto. It doesn't help my feelings about it that when soon after the album was released, a friend of mine said Superconductor sounded like a battery commercial. :) 20 years on and I can't shake that from my head, lol.

I mean, even the video is screwy. Geddy and Alex on the wrong sides of the stage... it's like Bizarro Rush World, hehe.

• Like 1

Most clear in my memory, and what makes it one of the most unenjoyable songs, is when they blasted into it on the RTB tour after only playing half of Xanadu. I will not soon be able to forgive them for that transition.

Oh lordy, I remember that. When I was there that night, you could just feel the energy suddenly evaporate.

• Like 1

Most clear in my memory, and what makes it one of the most unenjoyable songs, is when they blasted into it on the RTB tour after only playing half of Xanadu. I will not soon be able to forgive them for that transition.

Oh lordy, I remember that. When I was there that night, you could just feel the energy suddenly evaporate.

How did they think that was a good idea?

I don't mind the song, sometimes I listen to it, other times I skip it. It's one of those songs I can enjoy when i'm in the right mood. I never even knew they had a video for the song until I saw someone bring it up here awhile back. I never saw the video and it has no baring on weather I like the song or not.

I know...What were they thinking? I always thought that if they lost that track Presto would be a formidable album. Everything else on that record is fantastic. But alas, every band with an output like Rush are bound to have some clunkers. For me, this song is the leader.

Well, I really like it. The video doesn't enter into it for me, except that I like that it was directed by Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO.

My esteem for the song went up when I saw the music for it - gah! So many modulations! :wacko:

They have a sense of humor, maybe? I saw the show and laughed. And the crowd started rocking where I was.

Well, I really like it. The video doesn't enter into it for me, except that I like that it was directed by Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO.

Never knew that! Awesome!

I like the song. The album is definitely among the band's weakest, but it still has some great bright spots. Plus, it pulled the band away from the synth heavy sound and reminded us that Alex was still alive!

They have a sense of humor, maybe? I saw the show and laughed. And the crowd started rocking where I was.

I just can't see the transition being very smooth.

This makes complete sense, then. I was thinking the video reminded me of a bad Cars video from the early 80's or Whip It.

I just can't see the transition being very smooth.

It wasn't. It was a shock. I have not heard the song in quite a while. In all fairness I should go back and give it a spin.