"Nobody's Hero" lyric quip

zappafrank

Listening to "Nobody's Hero," and it's always struck me as odd that in the chorus following the final bridge (after the short solo) where Geddy sings "when I heard that you were gone," he doesn't follow it w/"you're nobody's hero" and instead sticks with "he's nobody hero."

confused13.gif

Carry on!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but have to disagree about it being a great track.

For me, it's cringeable.

Being gay myself, this song presents itself as a straight man writing about how "cool" he is with gay people. And failing.

Neil could (and really, should) have written a deeper analysis of the plague that was, and is, HIV.

To me, it comes across as twee.

As another fail for me, Geddy doesn't sound convincing in his vocal. "Nobody's Hero" would have been far more powerful if it was in the style of "Losing It" or "The Pass", both of which deal with emotive situations far better.

QUOTE (cronker @ Oct 13 2012, 11:01 PM)
For me, it's cringeable.

Being gay myself, this song presents itself as a straight man writing about how "cool" he is with gay people. And failing.

Neil could (and really, should) have written a deeper analysis of the plague that was, and is, HIV.
As another fail for me, Geddy doesn't sound convincing in his vocal. "Nobody's Hero" would have been far more powerful if it was in the style of "Losing It" or "The Pass", both of which deal with emotive situations far better.

I had no idea the song was about HIV.

And I thought only one verse was about being cool with a gay guy.

QUOTE (cronker @ Oct 14 2012, 05:01 PM)
For me, it's cringeable.

Being gay myself, this song presents itself as a straight man writing about how "cool" he is with gay people.  And failing.

Fine that you don't like NH, no need to apologise. I think you're reading a bit much into it but whatever. I've sampled sharper Neil lyrics but the music carries it and that's the most important thing. I know it's not a popular song here but I don't care, it's a great track for me. The Pass wins as well.

yeah, even though i eventually learned to accept it as part of a great album, i gotta be honest with myself and say nobody's hero still a blight on counterparts smile.gif i got sick of skipping that track over and over again for a few months after release

mindyou, halo effect only marginally better

Edited by lifeson90

I actually quite enjoy the song, especially musically. Sure, it's not Neil's best lyrics, but I never found areas to be cringeworthy as others suggest. (Although, with that said, I always focus more on the music than lyrics.) That's reserved for some of their earlier work and a few others sprinkled throughout their later career. Edited by GUP1771

The lyrics seem quite forced. Every time I hear the chorus it seems to me like Neil just wrote his thoughts down on paper as he jumped from one topic to another. The verses themselves only briefly cover two topics. The song sounds good but the lyrics should have been proof read.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Oct 15 2012, 05:36 AM)
I actually quite enjoy the song, especially musically. Sure, it's not Neil's best lyrics, but I never found areas to be cringeworthy as others suggest. (Although, with that said, I always focus more on the music than lyrics.) That's reserved for some of their earlier work and a few others sprinkled throughout their later career.

Thankyou, sanity prevails.

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Oct 15 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 14 2012, 02:54 PM)
Might as well brace myself for a slap - I quite like this song..! And Tai Shan.

*bracing for slap*

ph34r.gif

bitchslap.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Oct 14 2012, 07:28 AM)
yeah, even though i eventually learned to accept it as part of a great album, i gotta be honest with myself and say nobody's hero still a blight on counterparts smile.gif i got sick of skipping that track over and over again for a few months after release

mindyou, halo effect only marginally better

Couldn't disagree more. Counterparts is easily Rush's worst albums, but at least it has Nobody's Hero, one of two good songs.

Also, I like the lyrics. Much better than Alien Shore, Speed of Love, and Cold Fire. God I wished they had rethought that record. Great sound, bad songs.

For me, it's cringeable.

I don't think you understand the song. The song is about people who have played important roles in others' lives, or who have undergone struggles of their own, but aren't considered traditional "heroes". I have no idea if the man died of AIDS or not, but he was a "hero" to Neil for showing Neil a world and an understanding that he didn't have before, living in his small corner of Canada.

You can't hate the song for not being about a subject you want a song about. Judge it for what it is. I'm not saying you have to like it, but your criticism seems odd, to say the least.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 14 2012, 03:54 PM)

*bracing for slap*

What's this? Someone has a different opinion?! Bring out the pitchforks lads, we're going hunting!

I enjoy the song too, I just don't understand where Neil was going with the chorus.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 15 2012, 05:42 PM)

*bracing for slap*

What's this? Someone has a different opinion?! Bring out the pitchforks lads, we're going hunting!

I enjoy the song too, I just don't understand where Neil was going with the chorus.

I'm on the pyre right beside you, Babycat!

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 15 2012, 09:02 AM)
For me, it's cringeable.

Being gay myself, this song presents itself as a straight man writing about how "cool" he is with gay people.  And failing.

I don't think you understand the song. The song is about people who have played important roles in others' lives, or who have undergone struggles of their own, but aren't considered traditional "heroes". I have no idea if the man died of AIDS or not, but he was a "hero" to Neil for showing Neil a world and an understanding that he didn't have before, living in his small corner of Canada.

You can't hate the song for not being about a subject you want a song about. Judge it for what it is. I'm not saying you have to like it, but your criticism seems odd, to say the least.

Right on...This is exactly what the song is about. How can anyone see it any other way?

I like this tune, both music and lyrics. Powerful and melodic.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Oct 15 2012, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 15 2012, 05:42 PM)

*bracing for slap*

I'm on the pyre right beside you, Babycat!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/mooel_photo/WoW%20General/DarnassianPitchforks.jpg

scared.gif ohmy.gif scared.gif Haaaalllllllllllpppppppppppppp!!! scared.gif ohmy.gif scared.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 14 2012, 05:52 AM)
My lyrical quip with the song? The first two lines make me cringe so hard that I have to turn it off immediately. Absolutely can't get through it after that. It's embarrassing to hear.

I thought for sure the thread was going to be about those lines that you mentioned... Particularly starting off a song by saying "I knew he was different in his sexuality...".

Wow..who does that??

And, I'm not one who gets picky about lyrics... Heck, I'm the biggest T4E fan and have no problems with stuff like Dog years and Virtuality... but, for some reason, that opening line of Nobody's Hero has always irritated me.

Over the years, I have come to tune it out and appreciate the song for what it is.