DON'T vote Rush into the R&RHoF

liddybuck01

I propose that instead of embracing the Hall of Sh!t's sad attempt to right their wrong, that we, in fact, stand up and say NO THANKS.

Why do we want Rush to be involved in something so completely ridiculous?

The boys have said that they don't care. They obviously know it's has no credit as a legitimate foundation, since they insist on inducting pop singers and rap artists before groundbreaking ROCK artists.

Let's wait until a real ROCK Hall of Fame is created, and rally around that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting decades for people I've never heard of, in an organisation I don't care about, to give me permission to like Rush [breaks out 20 year Rush collection].

I think they should have been in after Moving Pictures, but I couldn't give a rat's ass either way.

I understand the sentiment... But, I want the boys to get all the acclaim and recognition they deserve. It's only right that they get in there...in my opinion.

I've never been one of these F**k the Hall types anyway. I want them to be celebrated. I do understand that there are many reasons to shit on the Hall and there may be questionable motives behhind the induction... but still. I can't NOT support them getting in there.

It's like...'if XXX band/artist is in there, then Rush should be there too'. That's my attitude about it.

laugh.gif i already voted. Twice.

I certainly understand your point of view, but let's face it. They're getting in one year, whether it's 2013, or the year after they retire. It will happen, so why fight it IMO. Let's help them in, and be done with it. smile.gif

Hey, didn't Rush have a song called You Can't Fight It? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Oct 4 2012, 08:20 AM)
I understand the sentiment... But, I want the boys to get all the acclaim and recognition they deserve. It's only right that they get in there...in my opinion.

I've never been one of these F**k the Hall types anyway. I want them to be celebrated.  I do understand that there are many reasons to shit on the Hall and there may be questionable motives behhind the induction... but still. I can't NOT support them getting in there.

Exactly my feelings on this.

I can appreciate the POV of liddybuck, and I know other Rush fans share it, but I want them in the Hall. Call it a personal weakness, like I need that little stroke, that little validation from the mainstream, but I'd like them to get in. It's time for the critics and mainstream audiences to officially recognize the contributions of this remarkable band - their talents, their enduring success, their influence on other artists, and their longevity.

Yeah, I've never totally been a "Screw the Hall" type, either. If I've ever expressed that, it was just imaginary armor to shield me from the pain of yet another year with no nomination.

And to anyone in the "Screw the Hall" Camp who has ever hoped that Rush would refuse induction or give Rolling Stone and the RNRHOF the finger after being told they're inducted: you obviously don't know this band very well, because they'd never do that. They have far too much dignity, class, integrity, and humility for a stunt like that. Even if that's their true feelings about it, they'll still show up, accept induction, say a few words, and go home without an incident. And I plan on being there for it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 4 2012, 06:51 AM)
QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Oct 4 2012, 08:20 AM)

I've never been one of these F**k the Hall types anyway. I want them to be celebrated.  I do understand that there are many reasons to shit on the Hall and there may be questionable motives behhind the induction... but still. I can't NOT support them getting in there.

Exactly my feelings on this.

I can appreciate the POV of liddybuck, and I know other Rush fans share it, but I want them in the Hall. Call it a personal weakness, like I need that little stroke, that little validation from the mainstream, but I'd like them to get in. It's time for the critics and mainstream audiences to recognize the contributions of this remarkable band - their enduring success, influence on other artists, and longevity.

Yeah, I've never totally been a "Screw the Hall" type, either. If I ever was, it was just a make-believe tough exterior, to shield me from the pain of yet another year with no nomination.

And to anyone in the "Screw the Hall" Camp who has ever hoped that Rush would refuse induction or give Rolling Stone and the RNRHOF the finger after being told they're inducted: you obviously don't know this band very well, because they'd never do that. They have far too much dignity, class, integrity, and humility for a stunt like that. Even if that's their true feelings about it, they'll still show up, accept induction, say a few words, and go home without an incident. And I plan on being there, too.

Both excellent posts! yes.gif

I've long suspected that a large majority of the people who don't want them in, or claim to not want them in, will in actuality be THRILLED when they finally do get in, whether they admit to it or not.

But, for all those who insist on being jaded and cynical to the bitter end, you by all means enjoy that. wink.gif

The RRHoF induction to Rush would be like....

You building a huge monument over dozens of years, that countless onlooker revere with amazement, only to have the architects digest send you an appreciation form letter.

pfft!

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Oct 4 2012, 09:07 AM)
The RRHoF induction to Rush would be like....

You building a huge monument over dozens of years, that countless onlookers revere with amazement, only to have the architects digest send you an appreciation form letter.

pfft!

That's a fairly accurate analogy, but still the little acknowledgment from Achitect's Digest is at least "nice" to get.

Would you and the thousands who admired your monument for all those years be chanting "screw Architect's Digest!" on the Internet? no.gif

The RnR HOF is a sham as far as "Hall of Fame's" go.

It's not like a Sports hall of fame run by the governing body. It's the brainchild of the Publisher of Rolling Stone (Jann Wenne) to make more money as magazine sales tank year over year.

It's just another commercial venture and artists are picked on their ability to sell tickets. If Jann doesn't like someone, they don't get in.

The Sex Pistols got it right. "It's a piss stain"

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Oct 4 2012, 09:03 AM)
My proposal is the take out the ROCK and call it music hall of fame.....I mean look at some of the nominees.

Mick

if this was the case, i'd be all for it.

i'll be pleased if they get in. i just think it's a ridiculous organization who has no clue what they're doing, and i don't want to encourage their ignorance.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 4 2012, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Oct 4 2012, 09:03 AM)
My proposal is the take out the ROCK and call it music hall of fame.....I mean look at some of the nominees.

Mick

if this was the case, i'd be all for it.

i'll be pleased if they get in. i just think it's a ridiculous organization who has no clue what they're doing, and i don't want to encourage their ignorance.

yes.gif

If they get in - hey, great. But I could give two shits in all honesty.

Will I feel justification for being a fan for so long? No

Will being along side greats like Abba and Donna Summer finally make them feel important? No

Will "mainstream acceptance" make me enjoy their music more? f*** no

Gemari 77 & Geddy Rulz express my feelings on the matter completely with there excellent post so I really don't need to repeat what they already said.

But I will add that with my decision and desire for all dedicated Rush fans to vote them in. Were making the ultimate statement and giving the hall a big middle finger showing we have Rush's back. The powers that be would be overjoyed if the fan vote turned out low for Rush. Hear Jann Wenner now "You see we gave the fans a voice in the decision and most agree with us that Rush doesn't belong..." Being nominated and us getting the point across with our vote is all we can to do for closure. Rush don't make the cut, confused13.gif so be it done our part. Just as good carrying the tradition of NOT getting in..

QUOTE (softfilter @ Oct 4 2012, 10:38 AM)
Gemari 77 & Geddy Rulz express my  feelings  on the matter completely with there excellent post so I really don't need to repeat what they already said. 
But I will add that with my decision and desire for all dedicated Rush fans to vote them in. Were making the ultimate statement and giving the hall a big middle finger showing we have Rush's back. The powers that be would be overjoyed  if the fan vote turned out low for Rush.  Hear Jann Wenner now "You see  we gave the fans  a voice in the decision and most agree with us that Rush doesn't belong..."  Being nominated and us getting the point across with our vote is all we can to do for closure. Rush don't make the cut, confused13.gif  so be it done our part. Just as good carrying the tradition of NOT getting in..

Glad you liked and agreed with my post.

To the part I highlighted above: the voting tally currently has Rush with about twice as many votes as their nearest competitor. I think Rush will be one of the top five vote-getters easily; I'm guessing they'll finish at number one by a landslide. So yeah, Jann Wenner won't be able to look at the tally and say, "See? The public agrees with me about Rush!" Instead, he and the editorial staff will look at the tally and say, "Those diehard Rush geeks stuffed the ballot box! No fair!"

This is also as good a place as any to re-interate something I said in the other RNRHOF thread: everyone please note that having Rush easily win this "the fans get to vote" thing in a landslide will only net Rush ONE OFFICIAL VOTE for induction. There are 600+ other people, music critics and such, who also get an official vote; we the public, collectively, can only net Rush ONE. If we and Cliff Burnstein officially vote for Rush and the other 600 people vote against... well, all our ballot-stuffing amounts to nothing. By all means vote, I did, but I'm just saying...

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 4 2012, 11:15 AM)

I think Rush will be one of the top five vote-getters easily; I'm guessing they'll finish at number one by a landslide. So yeah, Jann Wenner won't be able to look at the tally and say, "See? The public agrees with me about Rush!" Instead, he and the editorial staff will look at the tally and say, "Those diehard Rush geeks stuffed the ballot box! No fair!"

I thought about that also the ballot stuffing and sure there's truth behind it guilty as charged! tongue.gif But hey any fan can jam the ballot box with any of the other candidates to his & her liking. smile.gif

Reminds me when Rolling Stone use to have a readers poll every year and one of the things listed on the ballot was best rock station. WMMS in Cleveland won like six or seven years in a row (had my vote) found out the station did pull out all the stops and stuffed the hell out of the ballot. RS did away with catagory when it was found out MMS did some shady campaigning to win every year.

The Kraftwerk fans are really in hiding laugh.gif That was another act that Rolling Stone tried to force feed the public on how great they were. Experimental, industrial, electronic... boring schla03.gif

When I read the article about Rush being nominated I chuckled. It's nice to know that Rolling Stone considers Rush cool enough to be in their club of Rock and Roll along with rock legends like Abba and Madonna.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 4 2012, 12:58 PM)
When I read the article about Rush being nominated I chuckled. It's nice to know that Rolling Stone considers Rush cool enough to be in their club of Rock and Roll along with rock legends like Abba and Madonna.

yes.gif

Oooooooh Rush is VINDICATED! Finally!!!!

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM)
Rush gets more exposure every year from the "Who are the biggest snubs" articles everybody runs when they don't get nominated than they will from getting in. It's better for them not to be in.

If the RRHOF really doesn't like Rush, the best thing for them to do is to let them in. It'll stop the fans from whining about it, it will take them off the biggest snubs lists, and it really won't change a damn thing about Rush and their fans. Fans of Rush like the band for what they are, not because they were ever popular or cool.

I'm sure it will reduce the number of "RRHOF is a sham" comments... not from me...

I think it would be more a win for the RRHOF than it would be for the band.