I Just DO NOT understand...

Thunder Bay Rush

I'm really not much of a computer guy, I go on this site and a couple others. I check my emails once a day, at best.

But, I was curious to see if other people were complainng about the set list, or if it was just a weird thing on this site, so I went to a few other Rush sites, and yep, lots of grumbling. At least more than I would have expected.

But, here is what I DO NOT understand... This tour - this one that some people are whining about, is called the ... get ready for it - the "Clockwork Angels Tour."

During the "Tour of the Hemispheres," Rush played all of that album. During the "A farewell To Kings Tour," they played nearly all of that album.

During the "Permanent Waves Tour" they played nearly all of that album.

So, if there are people out there who are really that misinformed that they expect a band to spend a year and tons of money making a new album - and then go out and play Finding my Way, Passage To Bankok and Anthem all night, they must be retards.

There's my non-politically statement of the day.

So, please, stop your goddam complaining and consider yourselves LUCKY that your favourite band, or at least ONE of your favourites bands is STILL even working after 40 EFFING years - and - to me, "working" means NEW material, a NEW (and very expensive) tour and possibly a NEW concert DVD.

Rush is NOT blended into a Festival Tour with six other bands that could never headline in today's market accept for maybe in 1500 seat theaters.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 17 2012, 09:37 AM)
I'm really not much of a computer guy, I go on this site and a couple others. I check my emails once a day, at best.

But, I was curious to see if other people were complainng about the set list, or if it was just a weird thing on this site, so I went to a few other Rush sites, and yep, lots of grumbling. At least more than I would have expected.

But, here is what I DO NOT understand... This tour - this one that some people are whining about, is called the ... get ready for it - the "Clockwork Angels Tour."

During the "Tour of the Hemispheres," Rush played all of that album. During the "A farewell To Kings Tour," they played nearly all of that album.

So, if there are people out there who are really that misinformed that they expect a band to spend a year and tons of money making a new album - and then go out and play Finding my Way, Passage To Bankok and Anthem all night, they must be retards.

So, please, stop your goddam complaining and consider yourselves LUCKY that your favourite band, or at least ONE of your favourites bands is STILL even working after 40 EFFING years - and - to me, "working" means NEW material, a NEW (and very expensive) tour and possibly a NEW concert DVD.

They're NOT blended into a Festival Tour with six other bands that could never headline anymore unless it were to 1500 seat theaters.

You are such a credit to your people goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 10:38 AM)
I'm really not much of a computer guy, I go on this site and a couple others.  I check my emails once a day, at best. 

But, I was curious to see if other people were complainng about the set list, or if it was just a weird thing on this site, so I went to a few other Rush sites, and yep, lots of grumbling.  At least more than I would have expected.

But, here is what I DO NOT understand...  This tour - this one that some people are whining about, is called the ... get ready for it - the "Clockwork Angels Tour."

During the "Tour of the Hemispheres," Rush played all of that album.  During the "A farewell To Kings Tour," they played nearly all of that album.

So, please, stop your goddam complaining and consider yourselves LUCKY that your favourite band, or at least ONE of your favourites bands is STILL even working after 40 EFFING years - and - to me, "working" means NEW material, a NEW (and very expensive)  tour and possibly a NEW concert DVD. 

They're NOT blended into a Festival Tour with six other bands that could never headline anymore unless it were to 1500 seat theaters.

You are such a credit to your people goodpost.gif

The complaining isn't about CA. It's about the ignoring of so many of the other albums.

Come on, are you new to the internet? This is a message board, complaining about complainers never works out too well.

If someone wants less CA and more older stuff, they should be able to express that without being called retards. You know how many people still go to Rush shows that havent bought a Rush album in decades? A LOT. When I went to the S&A tour almost NOONE around me knew any of the new songs and PNC in NJ was absolutely dead during the first part of that 2nd set when they played all those songs in a row.

This isnt really the 70s or 80s anymore where everyone at Rush shows was buying their albums and wanted to hear all the new stuff. Sure, complaining about Rush playing new material is pointless, but the fact is they do have a crap load of fans that dont buy their albums anymore, or dont love them anyway, so you just have to live with it. Complaining about it here and insulting them accomplishes nothing.

We should round up all the whiners and make them sit through a Justin Beiber show with all the screaming 12 year old girls. Then, make them sign a contract stating they'll never complain about a Rush concert again.

Assholes.

Geez, I feel SO much better now. Those Mydol seem to really work!!!!!

Rush is NOT blended into a Festival Tour with six other bands that could never headline in today's market accept for maybe in 1500 seat theaters.

yes.gif Especially since this is album is like the goose that laid the golden egg to some....ah well, rock on 1022.gif

Mick

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 17 2012, 09:42 AM)
Come on, are you new to the internet? This is a message board, complaining about complainers never works out too well.

If someone wants less CA and more older stuff, they should be able to express that without being called retards. You know how many people still go to Rush shows that havent bought a Rush album in decades? A LOT. When I went to the S&A tour almost NOONE around me knew any of the new songs and PNC in NJ was absolutely dead during the first part of that 2nd set when they played all those songs in a row.

This isnt really the 70s or 80s anymore where everyone at Rush shows was buying their albums and wanted to hear all the new stuff. Sure, complaining about Rush playing new material is pointless, but the fact is they do have a crap load of fans that dont buy their albums anymore, or dont love them anyway, so you just have to live with it. Complaining about it here and insulting them accomplishes nothing.

You're right, but I still feel a lot better now!!

tongue.gif

People can say what they want, but I'm just glad they're still playing anything...

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 17 2012, 09:42 AM)

You should know, considering you are the Ultimate born moaner, if there is a bigger one, i have yet to see it. grumble on dude 2.gif

If you asked a million Rush fans for a set list, you'd get a million different set lists. laugh.gif We are lucky to be fans of a band that have crossed 5 decades and along the way produced many hours of material...some songs we love, some perhaps we don't enjoy so much. We can't love all albums equally surely. Variety is the spice of that etc. I'm one of a minority I think that doesn't think CA is the best album they've ever released (although it has its moments- and is musicianship is excellent) but I'm not going to slag off their set list. After all it's up to them what they play, and we're all entitled to our opinion about it. biggrin.gif

of course they are complaining. people who are passionate about music tend to do so.

in my experience those who will be complaining ( at the show and after ) the most are those fans who don't post on the internet.

i do believe that the fans who post on rush forums are more pleased with this set than those that don't and that in the real world the set list is not as well received.

its one thing to play all of your new disc, which many modern bands do, IMO this tour is cutting it dangerously close to alienating the casual fans with the number of tried and true staples.

now you may say screw the casual fans and i agree but its a foolish move from a business standpoint. i suppose with the momentum they have now they may pick up a new fan for everyone they lose...... who knows... cool10.gif

I understand your fustration with this but comparing Rush playing all of CA with them playing all of AFTK, Hemispheres and PeW back when they came out are two completely different situatiuons.

Back then Rush was in the prime of their careers and people were wanting to hear the new material. They had hits on the rock stations and had albums that went gold and platinum. The fanbase was younger and more enthusiastic about their band having new material and playing all if it live. The fanbase craved it and they loved that Rush played all their new stuff live. Then came MP and the synth era when Rush blew up huge and ended up being exposed to more people and turned out many big hits. The fanbase changed a lot in the 80s and it still continues to this day.

When a band becomes really popular and changes their sound drastically like Rush did in the mid 80s, there's gonna be a divide among the fans. There will be those who stick around no matter what. There will also be those who don't care for the newer material but still enjoy the old stuff enough to come out to the shows so they can hear some of the songs they grew up with and made them fans in the first place. That's if Rush decides to play any of those songs at all.

There are a few thousand diehards in the audience at each Rush show and the other 8,000 people are there to hear the hits and nothing else. They don't care that it's the Clockwork Angels tour and that's the name of the new album. They couldn't give a damn about that in the least. No, they are not retards, in fact most classic rock bands only play a couple of new songs and the rest is all old stuff. So, it's not unreasonable for a lot of people to think that going to see Rush. Especially if you've never seen them before or haven't seen them in many years. Not everyone can make it to see a show every tour.

It also doesn't help that Rush is force feeding everyone the new album. I like that they're playing as many songs off it as they are but doing all nine in a row is a bit much. They're no doubt losing the attention of a lot of people at the shows by doing this. They can still play those nine songs but they need to break them up and throw in a song or two everyone knows in between the new material. I really don't think most people mind that they're playing so many new songs, it's just more of the manner Rush went about doing it that's more bothering to some.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 17 2012, 12:12 PM)
I'm really not much of a computer guy, I go on this site and a couple others.  I check my emails once a day, at best. 

But, I was curious to see if other people were complainng about the set list, or if it was just a weird thing on this site, so I went to a few other Rush sites, and yep, lots of grumbling.  At least more than I would have expected.

But, here is what I DO NOT understand...  This tour - this one that some people are whining about, is called the ... get ready for it - the "Clockwork Angels Tour."

During the "Tour of the Hemispheres," Rush played all of that album.  During the "A farewell To Kings Tour," they played nearly all of that album.

So, please, stop your goddam complaining and consider yourselves LUCKY that your favourite band, or at least ONE of your favourites bands is STILL even working after 40 EFFING years - and - to me, "working" means NEW material, a NEW (and very expensive)  tour and possibly a NEW concert DVD. 

I understand your fustration with this but comparing Rush playing all of CA with them playing all of AFTK, Hemispheres and PeW back when they came out are two completely different situatiuons.

Back then Rush was in the prime of their careers and people were wanting to hear the new material. They had hits on the rock stations and had albums that went gold and platinum. The fanbase was younger and more enthusiastic about their band having new material and playing all if it live. The fanbase craved it and they loved that Rush played all their new stuff live. Then came MP and the synth era when Rush blew up huge and ended up being exposed to more people and turned out many big hits. The fanbase changed a lot in the 80s and it still continues to this day.

When a band becomes really popular and changes their sound drastically like Rush did in the mid 80s, there's gonna be a divide among the fans. There will be those who stick around no matter what. There will also be those who don't care for the newer material but still enjoy the old stuff enough to come out to the shows so they can hear some of the songs they grew up with and made them fans in the first place. That's if Rush decides to play any of those songs at all.

There are a few thousand diehards in the audience at each Rush show and the other 8,000 people are there to hear the hits and nothing else. They don't care that it's the Clockwork Angels tour and that's the name of the new album. They couldn't give a damn about that in the least. No, they are not retards, in fact most classic rock bands only play a couple of new songs and the rest is all old stuff. So, it's not unreasonable for a lot of people to think that going to see Rush. Especially if you've never seen them before or haven't seen them in many years. Not everyone can make it to see a show every tour.

It also doesn't help that Rush is force feeding everyone the new album. I like that they're playing as many songs off it as they are but doing all nine in a row is a bit much. They're no doubt losing the attention of a lot of people at the shows by doing this. They can still play those nine songs but they need to break them up and throw in a song or two everyone knows in between the new material. I really don't think most people mind that they're playing so many new songs, it's just more of the manner Rush went about doing it that's more bothering to some.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

2.gif

Thanks for the lecture.

Now here is something you REALLY don't understand: almost all of the whining has nothing to do with the set of "Clockwork Angels" tracks and everything to do with the OTHER songs Rush is choosing to play.

We understand that on the CA tour they'll play lots of CA. Hell, I love the new album so much, I think that's GREAT.

The problem myself and most other "complainers" has is the OTHER songs, which aren't from CA. Of the 16 non-CA songs that Rush played on opening night in Manchester (the night I saw them), a whopping ELEVEN were from 1982-1993. In other words, of the non-CA portion of the concert, 70% of the songs were from Rush's KEYBOARD ERA! 062802puke_prv.gif Yeah, a lot of us have a problem with that, since it was Rush's WORST PERIOD.

Here's something else you apparently don't get: people are allowed to state their opinions all they want, even their NEGATIVE opinions. Just because this is a fan site doesn't mean every single one of us is going to gush over everything Rush does and be in complete agreement over everything. But thanks for getting all "tsk tsk" with us, daddy.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Sep 17 2012, 09:40 AM)
The complaining isn't about CA. It's about the ignoring of so many of the other albums.

trink39.gif

Bingo.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 17 2012, 11:12 AM)

im sorry but no one is being force fed anything, right from the time clockwork was released they made noooo secret that a majority of the album was being played

we can bitch and complain all we want before we bought our tickets we knew they work gonna play it

the reason that its being played consecutively is because its a concept album

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ Sep 17 2012, 12:04 PM)
im sorry but no one is being force fed anything

I was thinking the same thing...fans want this music to be played live...Clockwork Angels is one of their best albums ever...this is highly anticipated by most in the forum

I will say this, the fans at the Chicago show were way more into the CA songs than they were of the Snakes songs. I really think Rush should stop playing outdoors. They invest so much time in their awesome visual displays and to have to minimize them for 30% of the show is just sad, IMHO. The indoor show is spectacular!

As for the setlist, I was concerned when I saw the setlist, but it was a nice big void that was filled, since I hadn't heard many of these songs for at least ten years. Sure, I could have used a couple of "ringers" in the setlist, but I'm content. They did finish at around 10:40-10:45, so they probably had time if they wanted to, to add a song or two.

IMO, one reason for the number of CA songs is that so many fans had wanted another concept album like 2112. This one was kind of a return to that era and the band was obviously thrilled with the way the album turned out.

One other reason I believe CA got so much concert time - - - its possible this will be the last tour. I'm sure the band wanted the chance to play CA live in case they decide not to tour anymore. I doubt its the last tour but we have been hearing them talk more and more about when to stop.

I saw the Chicago show and thought it was incredible.

Maybe sometimes it isn't all about us and what we want.

clockwork angels is a concept story, just like 2112/hemisphere

snakes and arrows is a concept in theme just like powers windows/hold your fire

2112 or hemisphere wont make sense to split through the night

its like hearing overture/temple the an hour later you hear discovery 20 mins later presentation and so on